Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes speaking out on issues

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...g-with-america

I read this article and itt got me thinking. It could generate some good discussion.

Should athletes speak out on touchy/political issues? Sure they can bring attention to the matter, but is it their place? Should we value their opinion?

Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?

Sorry, political discussions aren't allowed except in the LR.

I'll reopen this, but keep it non-political.

Comment

Being good at a game doesn't make your opinion worth more. Some athletes are pretty smart though, and have some good things to say if you actually listen to them.

About American being the "older brother": I think we have many, MANY issues in our own country to worry about, rather than spending our taxpayers money to fight wars in countries that don't want us there. (This is coming from a veteran)

Comment

Like Cinny said, let's please keep this to "athlete's speaking out" and leave politics and other things out.

Comment

As long as they're speaking about issues I agree with, its cool.

And whether you like it or not we live in a global community and as the leading power it is often necessary to intervene in the affairs of other states. Isolationism is dead, and thats a good thing.

Comment

Depends ...

... and I ain't talkin' diapers.

James Harrison refusing to go to the White House-bonehead.

After he returned his pick from EZ to EZ in the Super Bowl, and then wasn't the MVP because of that bonehead flagrant PF.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As far as the US being a big brother ... there are big brothers and there are Big Brothers.

Did you have a big brother? I did. Eric Blair (aka George Orwell) created a character called "Big Brother".

Put yourself in the position of little brother country. Check out what happened between the US and Greece from about 1967-1980. Then ask yourself how you would have felt if you were Greek.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Again, let's go ahead and talk about whether or not players should be catalysts for discussions, but let's avoid the actual arguments please.

If it goes down that road we will probably have to close the thread.

Comment

Anyone has the right to their opinion, and it is refreshing to know that these individuals are intelligent human beings, with the ability to think and reason and make assessments based on facts and so on. But I am not too keen on them taking center stage on topics, just because of their name. Same goes for entertainers and any public figure, who may try to influence others just based on their stature.

Conversely, they are people with the right to their opinions.

The one thing that athletes and other "stars" must remember, is that they are role models for so many, and must remember that, though not a burden, they have additional responsibilities in their main career roles, and therefore can take away from a great situation by trying to be too many things.

In other words, manage your day job, and be selective and wise about your other activities. And try not to use your influence to promote controversial matters, unless there is a serious gap in fact and honesty out there in the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                  Again, let's go ahead and talk about whether or not players should be catalysts for discussions, but let's avoid the actual arguments please.

If it goes down that road we will probably have to close the thread.
                  I thought this was anything but football?

Comment

Originally posted by 22Bernard24 View Post
                    I thought this was anything but football?
                    It's "Anything but football - except politics and other things covered in the CoC."

Comment

mods i would just lock this... you know its going to get out of hand

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
                        mods i would just lock this... you know its going to get out of hand
                        Probably, but we'll deal with that when it happens. What people choose to do with this opportunity is their call. We can only respond to the choices they make.

When and if it gets out of hand, we'll undoubtedly close it. The opportunity for something other than that exists though, and those that choose to use it constructively are entitled to do so.

Comment

Are political jokes permitted?

A Guide to U.S. Newspapers

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

2. The New York Times is read by people who think they run the country.

3. The Washington Post is read by people who think they should run the country.

4. USA Today is read by people who think they ought to run the country but don't really understand the Washington Post. They do, however like the smog statistics shown in pie charts.

5. The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the country, if they could spare the time, and if they didn't have to leave L.A. to do it.

6. The Boston Globe is read by people whose parents used to run the country.

7. The New York Daily News is read by people who aren't too sure who's running the country, and don't really care as long as they can get a seat on the train.

8. The New York Post is read by people who don't care who's running the country either, as long as they do something really scandalous, preferably while intoxicated.

9. The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people who aren't sure there is a country, or that anyone is running it; but whoever it is, they oppose all that they stand for. There are occasional exceptions if the leaders are handicapped minority, feministic atheist dwarfs, who also happen to be illegal aliens from ANY country or galaxy as long as they are democrats.

10. The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country, but need the baseball scores.

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                          Probably, but we'll deal with that when it happens. What people choose to do with this opportunity is their call. We can only respond to the choices they make.

When and if it gets out of hand, we'll undoubtedly close it. The opportunity for something other than that exists though, and those that choose to use it constructively are entitled to do so.

Comment

Athletes speaking out on a subject is fine with me,they have a right to their opinion as any one would,however i would prefer they not preach to me and also that they actually know what they are talking about,i won't usually give much credence to what celebrities have to say,as they are not really "in touch"with the common person.
                            I really like Cheese.

Comment

Working...
                            X