Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcyclists - Check In

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Motorcyclists - Check In

    So, who all in Broncos Country rides? What do you ride? What have you previously owned? What is your favorite bike? etc...

    Right now I have a 2006 Ninja 650r, purchased last September with 1300 miles for $4400. I absolutely love it. Light, nimble, plenty powerful for the streets, comfortable, great commuter. I get about 53 mpg on avg (worst was mid 40's, one tank I got over 70 ). Insurance, maintanence, etc is cheap. So far this year I've put about 5k miles on it.

    My last bike was a 2001 Triumph Sprint 955. I really liked that bike, had the hard bags and top case. I put about 20k miles on it in 3 1/2 years. What a great enging, comfortable, did several multi day tours on it. I ended up selling it though due to general maintanence costs - it loved tires ($$$), no dealership closer than 200 miles, oil changes etc were costly even when I did them myself, etc. It was just too much cost, when mostly I was using it as a daily commuter. It really was a fantastice bike, if I was plannin on doing more tours I would probably kept it, but with a kid that will be a ways down the road.

    I've also owned a 1996 Yamaha Seca II 600 (fun, cheap bike), and an 82 Yamaha XS650 - my first bike, but very dated. The weight and old breaks were a bit scary in everyday traffic, but I paid $750 for it, rode it for a year, and have good memories.

    So, here's a picture of my current bike.


  • #2
    Summer projects ...

    ... not yet complete, two of which are to insure, license and get running:

    1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing;

    and, 1986 Harley FLT "Tourglide" w/TLE sidecar.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #3
      Here's mine:



      Got it a little over 2 years ago now. It was a nice re-intro to riding, but I gotta admit I'm now chafing to get something with a bit more "pop" to it.

      I also rode one of these back in college days:



      Rode one of these bad boys in March this year and fell in love:



      Anyone have about 10K they can give to me?
      Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
      FF is awesome!

      Comment


      • #4
        You inspired me FF, so I took a ride during lunch today

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
          Here's mine:



          Got it a little over 2 years ago now. It was a nice re-intro to riding, but I gotta admit I'm now chafing to get something with a bit more "pop" to it.

          I also rode one of these back in college days:



          Rode one of these bad boys in March this year and fell in love:



          Anyone have about 10K they can give to me?
          Photobucket is blocked at work, I'll have to check the pics out later

          Comment


          • #6
            You guys make me jealous. I unfortunately cannot get one, because i'm 16. Once, i'm 18 my uncle is giving (or selling) me his Honda Shadow, don't what year it is though.
            sigpic
            Props to Peerless^
            Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
            Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
            Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
            Pro-McDaniels

            Comment


            • #7
              I still have my 2004 yamaha R6. Havent rode it much this year, but I get out from time to time.



              Here is a thread i started a long time ago with some other memebers and their bikes.



              http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=117888
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                My first bike looked a lot like this (but not exactly, I can't find a pic of mine). I got it when I was four:



                It was a 50 HP mini dirt bike.

                As a wee one (8 through about 12) I had one of these Yamaha gt80f's:



                I also had two Honda's a lot like the one PowerAddict posted in my teens.

                When I got big enough for the "real bikes" I had one of these:



                It's a 650.

                I got rid of it when I was military. After that I met a pretty girl who didn't want me on a motorcycle so I never got another one.

                The girl's gone now and I've been thinking about a bike again. I'm wondering if I want a Harley or a crotch rocket, though.

                I never laid the street bike down even as a young kid (17 through my early 20's), but I have to admit it was harder to handle for me than the dirt bikes. I was just raised on dirt bikes and I didn't like the idea of actually turning the handlebars.

                It's for this reason that I'm contemplating a crotch rocket instead of a Harley typed roadster. I just don't know if I'm competent to drive a genuine street bike. A crotch rocket is really just a dirt bike made for the city (in terms of leaning to turn and such).

                I dunno. I only live two blocks from where I work, so a bike would be a fine investment to save on some change. I'm thinking it over, but I'm 35 and I wonder how ridiculous I'll look on a crotch rocket at my age. I do think I'd rather have one of those than a street bike though, simply because that's the kind of bike I have the most experience with.

                I'd really prefer a "man's bike" though, like a Harley.

                I guess... For me the crotch rocket would be smarter, but aesthetically and in my sense of self I'd really like a Harley.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                  My first bike looked a lot like this (but not exactly, I can't find a pic of mine). I got it when I was four:



                  It was a 50 HP mini dirt bike.

                  As a wee one (8 through about 12) I had one of these Yamaha gt80f's:



                  I also had two Honda's a lot like the one PowerAddict posted in my teens.

                  When I got big enough for the "real bikes" I had one of these:



                  It's a 650.

                  I got rid of it when I was military. After that I met a pretty girl who didn't want me on a motorcycle so I never got another one.

                  The girl's gone now and I've been thinking about a bike again. I'm wondering if I want a Harley or a crotch rocket, though.

                  I never laid the street bike down even as a young kid (17 through my early 20's), but I have to admit it was harder to handle for me than the dirt bikes. I was just raised on dirt bikes and I didn't like the idea of actually turning the handlebars.

                  It's for this reason that I'm contemplating a crotch rocket instead of a Harley typed roadster. I just don't know if I'm competent to drive a genuine street bike. A crotch rocket is really just a dirt bike made for the city (in terms of leaning to turn and such).

                  I dunno. I only live two blocks from where I work, so a bike would be a fine investment to save on some change. I'm thinking it over, but I'm 35 and I wonder how ridiculous I'll look on a crotch rocket at my age. I do think I'd rather have one of those than a street bike though, simply because that's the kind of bike I have the most experience with.

                  I'd really prefer a "man's bike" though, like a Harley.

                  I guess... For me the crotch rocket would be smarter, but aesthetically and in my sense of self I'd really like a Harley.
                  You can get a standard, like a SV650, Ninja 650, something like that. Great MPG, economical, comfortable, reliable. Don't worry about age and the like.

                  And a HD isn't a "Man's bike", it's a cruiser. They are actually usually very easy to ride, have low seat height, and attract both men and women. I don't care for them, but I like performance and value over "lifestyle". Not saying there's anything wrong with that, to each their own

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                    Photobucket is blocked at work, I'll have to check the pics out later
                    Sorry, PA. The pics are of my f650, a Honda xl500, and finally an Aprilia Shiver. Oh man, just thinking of the Aprilia makes me tingly all over. :shake:
                    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                    FF is awesome!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                      You can get a standard, like a SV650, Ninja 650, something like that. Great MPG, economical, comfortable, reliable. Don't worry about age and the like.

                      And a HD isn't a "Man's bike", it's a cruiser. They are actually usually very easy to ride, have low seat height, and attract both men and women. I don't care for them, but I like performance and value over "lifestyle". Not saying there's anything wrong with that, to each their own
                      The Versys is a "dual-sport" with the Ninja 650 engine. Very light and "flippable" but has a pretty high seat. Too high for me. The er-6 is the same engine too, but without the fairing of the Ninja.


                      I admit, I sat on a Ninja today at lunch. Also an FZ6r. Not that I'm looking...
                      Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                      FF is awesome!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        had a ninja 500ex for my first bike but had to sell it while i was looking for a job. The bike was perfect for beginning. I'd either like to get an FZ6 or a cruiser from here
                        Glen Haven Fire

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
                          You guys make me jealous. I unfortunately cannot get one, because i'm 16. Once, i'm 18 my uncle is giving (or selling) me his Honda Shadow, don't what year it is though.
                          go to beginnerbikers.org if you want some excellent info
                          Glen Haven Fire

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On that note, does anyone know a good motorcycle retailer that let's us test drive their bikes?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              On that note, does anyone know a good motorcycle retailer that let's us test drive their bikes?
                              That's tough, it's dealership by dealership. I know Erico Motorsports by Coors Field will do test rides, but most wont.

                              Call ahead and see if a dealership has a demo day, or anything like that. I know that there used to be a demo day in Denver (they used to have it at Copper Mtn) that many manufacturers would attend, I don't know if that's still going on though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X