Who Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Am I?

I was born in 1946 in Zanzibar as a descendant of the Parsi, one of the world's oldest religious and ethnic groups, pre-dating Chrsitianity in any form by many centuries, and that still exist today.

My family had moved to Zanzibar before I was born so that my father could continue his work at the British Colonial Office.

At the age of eight, I was sent to St. Peter's Boarding School in India.

Here I began to cultivate my interest in music and I formed my first rock band. I began taking instruction in formal piano, and also began to pick up guitar in my free time.

I listened to a considerable amount of Indian music, and one of my early influences was the Bollywood playback singer Lata Mangeshkar. I finally got to see her live once in India.

I took on a common western first name here, and it stuck. It would remain the name I was known by for the rest of my life.

A friend from this boarding school once said that I had an uncanny ability to hear a song on the radio, and immediately replay it on the piano regardless of whether it was written for the piano or not.

I remained in India for most of my childhood and I graduated from St. Mary's ISC of Mumbai.

After I graduated I moved to London where I joined a series of bands while working as a retailer selling second-hand clothes in the London Market of Kensington.

After moving to England later in life, I became a fan of Jim Croce, The Who, Elvis Presley, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, and The Beatles. Another one of My favourite performers was singer and actress Liza Minnelli.

As a preformer I became known for my beautiful tenor voice, despite the fact that in speech I was a natural baritone.

The famed Spanish soprano Montserrat Caballé and I once performed together, and afterwards she expressed that, "the difference between [myself] and almost all the other rock stars was that he was selling the voice."

As my band shot up the charts, I wrote ten of the 17 songs that finally made our Greatest Hits albums and they were from a wide variety of genres. Our band arguably created the first true "Rock Opera" the likes of which would not even be approached again until Pink Floyd's arrival on the world stage.

I was known for an incredibly flamboyant style that interacted greatly with the audience at performances. I was the inspiration for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which to this day remains a cult phenomenon.

David Bowie once described me as "Of all the theatrical rock stars, [he] took it further than the rest. He took it over the edge. And of course, I always admired a man who wears tights. I only saw him in concert once and as they say, he was definitely a man who could hold an audience in the palm of his... hand."

my concerts were so popular that my band was one of the first to require a stadium for most of our concerts as opposed to an ampetheatre.

In 1985 I was part of a concert and managed to manipulate 72,000 screaming, cheering people to clap and sway in unison while singing along with my lyrics. The concert was televised on world-wide TV. It has since been agreed upon that this performance by my band was the greatest live performance in the history of rock and roll.

Over the course of my career, I performed an estimated 700 concerts in countries around the world. A notable aspect of our concerts was the large scale involved.

My band was the first ever to play South American stadiums, breaking every record for attendence that had ever been set.

My final live performance had an estimated live crowd of over 300,000 when we performed in England.

During the later part of my life and before my death, I had fallen ill with a then little known disease which I chose not to publicly disclose.

In the 1970s I had a love affair that would span the rest of my life with a woman named Mary that I met through my guitarist.

In the mid 70's, she began a love affair with another performer and it drove me to the brink of insanity. Not able to let go, I remained her eternal admirer, the godfather of her children, wrote several songs about her, and never took another femal mate after her departure.

At this stage of my life I did begin to frequently visit "bathouses" in Britain and had many transient affairs there.

In the 1980s I entered a long-term relationship with another lover, and ultimately died by their side in 1991. The cause of death was a bronchial disease.

When I died, I left the vast majority of my assets to Mary, whom I had loved, and her children.

As a result of my life's accomplishments and flaws, in 2006 my birthday celebration in Zanzibar was canceled after many complaints from the Sharia groups of the region on the basis of my sexual indiscretions and its conflicts with their belief system.

Although dead, to this day I remain one of the ten most recognizable faces in the entire world, my music is played daily in every city in Western civilization, as well as many Muslim and Hindu cultures. I was also very popular in Asia and can still be heard on the radio there.

Who am I?

My CP aren't worth a lot, but let's give it a run anyway.

And please, no googling. Reserve it if you don't know so that those who do know who this is without help get their rightfully earned e-candy.

Comment

Would it be cheating(or extreeme coincidence) if I told you I had just read about him the other day?

I wont spoil it for anyone... but I know the answer.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

You're Tarquin

I won
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broooks77 View Post
          You're Tarquin

I won

And you are correct, sir....

Comment

Easy. Freddie Mercury.
            sigpic
            Props to Peerless^
            Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
            Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
            Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
            Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Originally posted by SheerCold View Post
              Easy. Freddie Mercury.
              That was a lot of work for a very short-lived riddle. I'll do better next time. You are correct.

Comment

Ebsoria sent me the answer privately first, but I can't CP him again since I just did it yesterday. I'll take care of it when I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin View Post
                  That was a lot of work for a very short-lived riddle. I'll do better next time. You are correct.
                  Alright. Are you going to post more of these on this thread?
                  sigpic
                  Props to Peerless^
                  Pro-McDaniels

Comment

Bonus Question:

Alright. Are you going to post more of these on this thread?
                    Yes.

But I find myself bitter about having put in all that work for such a short-lived thing, so I have a bonus question to add:

Every Bronco fan that has ever been to a game has been touched by Freddie Mercury, whether they realize it or not.

Tell me how this happens to this very day, and for the foreseeable future.

In what way is Freddie Mercury present at every single home football game for the Denver Broncos?

If you answered above and got points, please remember I have to spread the CP around and can't get you more today.

Comment

Yes.

But I find myself bitter about having put in all that work for such a short-lived thing, so I have a bonus question to add:

Every Bronco fan that has ever been to a game has been touched by Freddie Mercury, whether they realize it or not.

Tell me how this happens to this very day, and for the foreseeable future.

In what way is Freddie Mercury present at every single home football game for the Denver Broncos?

If you answered above and got points, please remember I have to spread the CP around and can't get you more today.
                      I've never been to a Bronco home game, but i'm going to guess We Will Rock you?
                      sigpic
                      Props to Peerless^
                      Pro-McDaniels

Comment

I was the inspiration for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which to this day remains a cult phenomenon.
                        Here is where you lost me. Though I knew enough to see it was Freddie, you confused me there. I was always under the imprestion Roxy Music was the inspiration for the RHPS. See here I found somthing on it:

The roots of 'Rocky Horror'
                        Posted by John Petkovic/Plain Dealer Reporter September 17, 2008 11:11AM
                        Categories: Nightlife

Irving Klaw
                        Betty Paige's look was an inspiration to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show.""The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is the definition of cult classic: a flick that has become a movement, complete with its own language and look. Just look at the people who go to see it every Saturday at the Cedar Lee Theatre -- shouting lines from the film, throwing rice at one another, wearing corsets, nylons and high heels.
                        That's not to say that the 1975 comedy is a creature that came from outer space.

Like Frankenstein, "Rocky Horror" is an amalgam of things that came before it -- monster, sci-fi and rock subcultures -- all stitched together into a monstrous send-up.

Here are some of the pieces that spawned the cult classic:

"Universal Horror": In the 1930s, the studio set the monster movie in motion with films such as "Frankenstein" and "The Invisible Man."

Pinup bondage queens: In the 1950s, New York photographer Irving Klaw spawned the careers of Bettie Page and other garter-and-lingerie pinup queens by shooting them in campy scenes full of whips and spanking and high heels.

Sci-fi kitsch: The opening song in "Rocky Horror" name-drops "Forbidden Planet" and "It Came From Outer Space." For good reason: The movie is indebted to the sci-fi movement of the 1950s, when low-rent aliens and cheap-jack stunts invaded the theaters.

Girlie mag kink: The movie flashes a copy of "Midnight," a 1960s men's magazine by Parliament Publications. Unlike Playboy, these girlie mags weren't about the "girl next door." They offered kinky scenes full of nylons, garters and foot fetishes.

Pulp sleaze: No, they never made it on the best-seller list, but "sleaze" books enjoyed a vibrant run in the 1960s -- on the back shelves and under the counters of bookstores. Many told campy tales of the temptation of innocents, not to mention transvestites, gay hook-ups and sex slaves.

Glam rock: It isn't a coincidence that Riff-Raff looks like Brian Eno, circa Roxy Music. The ghosts of glam run rampant through Dr. Frank-N-Furter's castle, not to mention the soundtrack. Glam-rockers such as David Bowie, Alice Cooper and Roxy Music ditched hippie vibes and acid rock for sexual androgyny and flamboyant rock 'n' roll.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've never been to a Bronco home game, but i'm going to guess We Will Rock you?
                          Yes, the "Stamp-stamp-clap" done during intermissions in gameplay is the beat of "We will Rock you."

This is a different song from "We are the Champions" although they're often played together.

Originally posted by Broncbeat View Post
                          Here is where you lost me. Though I knew enough to see it was Freddie, you confused me there. I was always under the imprestion Roxy Music was the inspiration for the RHPS. See here I found somthing on it:
                          Whatever.

1500 words and you gotta nit-pick... Where's the gong? Someone hit that sucker.

Comment

Ebsoria sent me the answer privately first, but I can't CP him again since I just did it yesterday. I'll take care of it when I get the chance.
                            No worries. I may be a CP whore... but I can live without em too.

Comment

Whatever.

1500 words and you gotta nit-pick... Where's the gong? Someone hit that sucker.
                              Nit pick? Truth is truth. Get facts straight. No reason to get voilent. Hope you were kidding, But I'm always up for it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X