• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter kills own dogs to go on cruise

Firefighter killed dogs before going on vacation
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:48 PM
    By Bruce Cadwallader

The Columbus Dispatch

Columbus firefighter David P. Santuomo will spend 90 days in jail and pay $4,500 in restitution for shooting his two dogs in the basement of his home and wrapping their bodies in a plastic sheet.

Investigators say Santuomo, 43, of 2945 Rushbury Dr., has admitted that he was going on a cruise with his girlfriend and didn't want to pay to board the dogs Sloopy and Skeeter even though two neighbors offered to watch the animals in his absence. At the time, he lived on Essington Drive near Dublin.

Franklin County Municipal Judge Harland H. Hale accepted guilty pleas to two counts of animal cruelty and one count of possessing a criminal tool a homemade silencer Santuomo used on the end of a rifle.

The pleas today could jeopardize Santuomo's career. He still faces an internal disciplinary hearing with Fire Chief Ned Pettus Jr. He has been a firefighter since 1996.

Assistant County Prosecutor Heather Robinson said the facts of the case are brutal:

On Dec. 3, Santuomo laid down a plastic sheet in his basement and tied the dogs to a pipe, partially suspending their bodies. He shot them multiple times, then dumped their carcasses in a trash bin behind Fire Station 27 at 7560 Smoky Row Rd., where he was assigned.

"He later bragged about killing his pets to fellow firefighters, and he showed no remorse, even joking about it," Robinson said. "Fellow firefighters were disgusted by what he did, and the Capital Area Humane Society was called to investigate."

Hale sentenced Santuomo to 90 days in jail and ordered him to pay a $150 fine. He must have no pets or firearms in his home for five years and serve 200 hours of community service; undergo random home inspections; and pay $4,500 in restitution for the costs of the investigation to the county and the Capital Area Humane Society, from which he had adopted the dogs.

He also was ordered to write a letter of apology to a firefighters magazine and to readers of The Dispatch.

Hale said Santuomo will be permitted to serve his jail time in 10-day stints over a two-year period.

LINK
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

I agree with what somebody said over at the Browns board.

"He would make Michael Vick proud."

Comment

Just outrageous. He should be locked up for at least 5 years for each dog he killed.

I don't think he got enough hard time for this.
      Brock you like a hurricane!
      sigpic
      Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

He's been fired too, BTW. Just an update for you all. He is also appealing hoping to get his job back.

Comment

Dang, he should have just done what everyone else does, drop them off outside of town

For the humor challanged, that was a joke.

Comment

What. A. Moron.

He needs mental help just like Vick too.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

This guy makes me sick! I would love to tear him limb for limb.
              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
              sigpic

Comment

I just got done writing a long rant on our board about Vick, come over here and this is the first post I read. Since I'm all fired up, I'll just say, any punishment he gets is too light.

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                Dang, he should have just done what everyone else does, drop them off outside of town
                Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!!!!!

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                For the humor challanged, that was a joke.
                "I don't know what was harder -- that [Phillies lineup] or the AL All-Star team lineup," - Dan Haren 7/28/2009

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Thats sick. Serial killers start off that way...
                  sigpic

Comment

I wonder if his 200 hours of community service will be spent at the Humane Society? With supervision, of course.

Sad. It was so avoidable.
                    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Just when you thought you have heard it all, some clown like this proves me wrong.

Totally unbelievable. :hammer:
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I really dont care what the dude did with his dogs ... but i thought he was pretty stupid in pointing them out to others and Burying them at work ...He deserves time for that ....

I heard this story wht seem like a week ago really didnt pay to much thought to it .....
                        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                          Thats sick. Serial killers start off that way...
                          when they're kids, not full grown adult firefighters lol

i'd go back in this guy's history and see if he was killing pets or people earlier
                          sigpic

Comment

Must have been one hell of a cruise. Most cruises are like 7 days. So it shouldnt have cost that much to get them watched over.

I remember when i was like 8 or so, my neighbors went out of town and had me feed, water, and fetch with their dog. i got paid $3 a day and when they got back i had $24---I WAS A RICH MUTHA F'ER!
                            So far:
                            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

The guy's an idiot! Plain and simple, an idiot! OMG
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X