Tips for Future College Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Future College Students

Those of you in high school that are going to go to college soon here are some things I learned all from mistakes.
    • Apply for classes EARLY AS POSSIBLE
    • Don't let the advisor control your schedule because usually they are useless because they don't care about you since they deal with so many students.
    • Make sure you don't overload one day with classes especially if they are all lectures.
    • If you are waitlisted make sure you email the professor and go to the first day of class.
    • Where I go to school, parking is impossible to find and extremely crowded so... Don't kill anyone.
    • Don't go to class drunk
    • Make sure you don't take a class that's levels above you. I did that and basically sat through 2 hours of mumbo jumbo math with a bunch of adults in that class and had to switch out to the only other math class (precalc a level below me but w/e) at 8:30 AM!!
    • Make sure you talk to people and socialize. In only two days I've already made a few friends!
    • Take care of all your financial aid stuff asap before school starts. That is one thing I did right lol...
    • Buy your books from websites like Half.com or Amazon because that will save you so much more money then buying it from the bookstore.

Feel free to add on to the list if you go to college since I'm still very new.

Comment

if you have a early class . . . go to bed early, even though i havent grasped that one yet

dont go out to eat all the time unless you really have that much money

and finally wear a condom
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

Don't schedule 8:00 classes unless you have to. My first semester, I scheduled an 8:00 every day because I figured that since I was used to getting to High School before 8, I'd have no trouble. By the second month I was making one or two a week.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know how different college life is in the US compared to over here (apart from the fact that we have much easier access to alcohol ) but the hardest thing about university is learning how to work. For the first year and a half when I was doing my weekly tutorial work, I'd start on saturday (deadline monday). Considering that the sheets on average took about 10 hours to do to a reasonable standard this wasn't smart. I eventually discovered that doing 2-3 hours on several days was the best way to go about it and made weekends much less stressful (I also started playing football which consumed most of my weekends).

That's why doing other activities on a regular basis is often helpful to work rather than a hinderance (although our college fails to see this) - it forces you to organise your time more effectively whilst people who do little else other than work don't always learn this; moreover, it's easier to get sick of what you're doing if you're not doing extracurricular stuff and keeping active in your spare time. That said, don't overdo the extracurricular stuff - taking on too much can kill your work.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
            if you have a early class . . . go to bed early, even though i havent grasped that one yet

2nd that.

And dont go out drinking every night.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post

No.

I mean yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                Don't schedule 8:00 classes unless you have to. My first semester, I scheduled an 8:00 every day because I figured that since I was used to getting to High School before 8, I'd have no trouble. By the second month I was making one or two a week.
                I have to go to class Monday and Wednesday at 8:30 AM just because that was the only class available. The thing that sucks is that I have to go back later at 2:00 PM because I have classes from 2:30-6:45 which means I have to waste a lot of gas going back and forth between school and house unless I go and find somewhere to chill for a couple of hours... But still. BLEH!!!

On the bright side though I only have one one hour class on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I guess there's some good out of that.

Comment

1. Never talk about fight club.

2. Dont sleep with your tutor, if she catches something, she is gonna be pissed and wont help you anymore.

3. Dressing casual in T-shirt, shorts, flip flops and a backpack with one strap that crosses your chest doesnt make you look like the laid back cool guy. You look like a tool. Park your ten speed and go get a haircut.

4. Being sober at a soroity party is like catching dead fish in a barrel.

5. Being Drunk at a soroity party is like catching dead fish in a barrel.

6. Your professor wont pass you just because you sit in the front row and wear short skirts everyday.

I learned these all the hard way.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes be drunk in class.

In fact, just be drunk all the time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't live in Dorms.
                      sigpic

Comment

my earliest class is at 1. My schedule is so easy. I only have 3 classes i actually have to go to and the rest are online because the regular classes were full. if you decide to go to university of montana take ''history of rock 'n roll'' taught by jeff brandt. Best. class. Ever.
                        the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                          Yes be drunk in class.

In fact, just be drunk all the time.
                          Drunk 9am lectures are always hilarious. Good times.
                          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

And live with Mom and Dad and save money as long as you possibly can. You think it's lame now but you'll totally appreciate it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Hardwick View Post
                              And live with Mom and Dad and save money as long as you possibly can. You think it's lame now but you'll totally appreciate it later.
                              Why my fiancee and I live in a duplex off campus about 30-40 minutes away. It is about 15,000 a year for room and board, so a total of 30,000 a year for us.

We spend less than half of that renting a duplex and buying our own food and all those other needed things in life.

Though she goes to school for free.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X