Any guitar players out there???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any guitar players out there???

Okay, I've picked away a few times all on right handed guitars, but I'm a lefty, so my heart wants to learn to play lefty. However... as I browse and look at guitars I find that all the nice guitars are right handed. Top that off... I want to buy a less expensive acoustic to fully learn on but I'm finding left handed guitars are more money too for not as nice of a guitar.

I found this, that I LOVE, but alas it does not come for the lefty. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm gonna learn on, but I want something nice that I want to play. A few years ago I was given a crappy piece of junk and I loved playing , but I didn't like playing on that guitar. So, instead of buying a different guitar, I stopped altogether(which was a shame, I had "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" DOWN!!! *that's a joke*).

I've also got it in my head that lessons would be easier since I"d be able to sit in front of an instructor and literally mirror them. What do you think?

Or, should I just suck it up and buy a righty 6-string and call it a day?

Thanks for any and all advise!!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

I've been playing since I was in Middle School. I don't consider myself a guru, but I think I know enough.

What exactly is a low priced guitar for you? 300-500? 500-700? 700+?

If you're looking for one in the 300-700 range, I think Takamine's are great and you can get a good one for a few hundred bucks.

As far as learning lefty, that's up to you, really. If its something you really want to do, don't let the fact that right handers are easier to find hold you back. I'm sure you can find a lefty you like.

I also suggest not buying a guitar without playing it, feeling it, hearing it, etc...

I don't know if you are or not, you just posted a link so I wasn't sure.

I personally recommend a Takamine if you're looking for good value for a low price, but its your guitar, do what feels good.

Good luck and let us know when you seal a deal!

:salute!:
    sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/a...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0
      these guys usually have the most leftys in stock,also check out American Musical Supply http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/a...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0
      some of the best prices i have seen on-line.(also they do "in house financing")
      and yes teaching leftys is somewhat easier because of the aforementioned "mirror".i have a southpaw daughter that wanted an acoustic i got her a fender cd 140 cs,good guitar,great for beginners. good luck,and keep on a pickin.
      I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        Or, should I just suck it up and buy a righty 6-string and call it a day?
        Yep... and then flip it upside down. Hendrix did it... just sayin'.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

I am a lefty who was pushed to play right handed when I was young. I didn't like it so I quit. Picked it up a few years ago and said screw it I am playing lefty and I have not regretted it one bit. If playing left handed will keep you playing happily, do it. And depending on where you live, you should be able to find a shop/dealer who can find a lefty guitar you like. But, as someone said before, make sure it is a good fit for you.

Comment

Flip it and the strings and you're good to go
            sigpic
            2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

i've been playing for 12 years and i'm left handed. i don't think i could learn left-handed at this point.

to me i think of it the opposite way. everyone plays left-handed actually. you see, for most "right-handed" guitars, you use your left hand to do all the fret-work.

the fret-work is the most difficult part, so why wouldn't you want your dominant hand to be able to do that? your fingers on the dominate hand are going to be stronger, allowing you to reach certain frets and stretch across the strings easier as well as hold down necessary strings as well. all the right hand does is strum and sometimes finger-picking....

so for us lefties, our dominate hand gives us the advantage because it's the stronger one of the two and does all the fretwork.
              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by IHSD View Post

Good luck and let us know when you seal a deal!

:salute!:
                Thanks for the advise. I plan to go looking tomorrow to see what's out there that I like. My only problem is; I don't play well and am too newb to be able to notice sublte differences in play. But I'm sure I can figure it out.

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/a...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0
                these guys usually have the most leftys in stock,also check out American Musical Supply http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/a...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0
                some of the best prices i have seen on-line.(also they do "in house financing")
                and yes teaching leftys is somewhat easier because of the aforementioned "mirror".i have a southpaw daughter that wanted an acoustic i got her a fender cd 140 cs,good guitar,great for beginners. good luck,and keep on a pickin.
                Your experience with your daughter makes me lean to playing southpaw. Thanks!

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                I am a lefty who was pushed to play right handed when I was young. I didn't like it so I quit. Picked it up a few years ago and said screw it I am playing lefty and I have not regretted it one bit. If playing left handed will keep you playing happily, do it. And depending on where you live, you should be able to find a shop/dealer who can find a lefty guitar you like. But, as someone said before, make sure it is a good fit for you.
                You sound like me. I started righty and loved playing, just didn't like the way I was playing. Growing up I was always forced to kick right, bat right, and was even asked to learn to throw right. My dad stepped in by buying me a southpaw glove when I was young, so that wnet out the door. But I still kick right bat right. The only thing that made me capable of throwing right was water polo in which you have to be able to pass/throw with both hands. I'm a southpaw, I'd liek to try to keep it natural.

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                i've been playing for 12 years and i'm left handed. i don't think i could learn left-handed at this point.

to me i think of it the opposite way. everyone plays left-handed actually. you see, for most "right-handed" guitars, you use your left hand to do all the fret-work.

the fret-work is the most difficult part, so why wouldn't you want your dominant hand to be able to do that? your fingers on the dominate hand are going to be stronger, allowing you to reach certain frets and stretch across the strings easier as well as hold down necessary strings as well. all the right hand does is strum and sometimes finger-picking....

so for us lefties, our dominate hand gives us the advantage because it's the stronger one of the two and does all the fretwork
                Interesting point. I'll chew on that.

Comment

I don't play 6-string guitars, but the bass-playing world seems split on whether to play left or right. Some learn to play right handed because they say that the instrument selection is better and cheaper, and most instructional materials (including instructors) are right-handed. Some play left handed because it feels more natural and they feel like they aren't starting from a developmental hole right off the bat. I'm right handed, so I can't really argue one way or the other, but I can say that it seems you should go with your gut. If left-handed playing comes more naturally to you, then try to find a decent sounding, decent playing instrument and learn. The selection won't be as wide, but there should still be good guitars to choose from.

If you think your options are limited on guitars, try finding a decent left-handed bass.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                    Thanks for the advise. I plan to go looking tomorrow to see what's out there that I like. My only problem is; I don't play well and am too newb to be able to notice sublte differences in play. But I'm sure I can figure it out.
                    You don't really need to be able to pick out subtle differences yet. If it feels good in the hand and sounds good to your ear, you'll play it. When you get more experience, you'll start looking to trade up anyway. Trust me on that one. Don't waste money on an expensive guitar to start with.

Interesting point. I'll chew on that.
                    I see where he's coming from on the fretting stuff, but speaking as a right-handed player, it felt way more natural to fret with my left than my right. I don't know why that is, but it's true. The mechanics seem to work better with my off hand than my dominant. Of course, I still get to work the fine motor skills in my right hand, since I play predominantly finger-style.
                    sigpic

Comment

Regarding guitar playing sometimes I wish I was a southpaw - mostly for the aforementioned mirrored learning advantages, but after reading Real Bronco's post I thought of something else. I'm a righty, and play right-handed, of course, but I would have to say that the dexterity, strength and flexibility of my left hand, fingers and forearm have increased dramatically directly because of my guitar playing. I can't imagine playing the other way. I play a lot of finger style too so my right hand dominance isn't totally wasted.

But, ebsoria... like most southpaws it looks like you're somewhat ambidextrous so consider yourself lucky. Like others, I'd say find a lower-end left handed guitar that simply "feels good" and start fresh on your path. Once you're more proficient and comfortable you can spend the extra time, money and resources looking for something better.
                      Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                        You don't really need to be able to pick out subtle differences yet. If it feels good in the hand and sounds good to your ear, you'll play it. When you get more experience, you'll start looking to trade up anyway. Trust me on that one. Don't waste money on an expensive guitar to start with.

Yeah, I wasn't going to spend more then about $200 bucks on my "learner". I'll admit, there are some beautiful guitars out there... but at this point in my "career" they'd all be wasted on me.

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                        Regarding guitar playing sometimes I wish I was a southpaw - mostly for the aforementioned mirrored learning advantages, but after reading Real Bronco's post I thought of something else. I'm a righty, and play right-handed, of course, but I would have to say that the dexterity, strength and flexibility of my left hand, fingers and forearm have increased dramatically directly because of my guitar playing. I can't imagine playing the other way. I play a lot of finger style too so my right hand dominance isn't totally wasted. I see what you did there.

But, ebsoria... like most southpaws it looks like you're somewhat ambidextrous so consider yourself lucky. Like others, I'd say find a lower-end left handed guitar that simply "feels good" and start fresh on your path. Once you're more proficient and comfortable you can spend the extra time, money and resources looking for something better.
                        Thanks again for your opinion.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to play lefty. Mostly for the learning advantage. There are studies that show that using your off hand to brush your teeth can stimulate brain development. So, maybe in a round about way, I'll get smarter using my right up on the frets. :thumb:

Comment

Last night I went to the Guitar Center to try a few on and see what I thought. I held a righty and it felt okay. I tried a few differnet ones on as there was a HUGE selection!!!! Then... I found the one lefty guitar they had and tried it on. It was ugly as hell, a Daisy(I think that was the brand), but it felt nice. I grabbed a righty and put it back on to see if it still felt right and the righty just... I dunno.... didn't feel right somehow.

So... now that I know what feels better, it's time to try to find something I like to look at that feels good. That way I want to keep playing and learning.

Again, thanks all for your advise. I'll let ya know what I get when I find it... but it looks like it may be a short while before I find it... being a lefty and all....

Comment

oh yeah,here is where i started from,longer ago than i care to admit,don't let the name fool you basics are basics it's the application that make a particular genre,anyway great course great customer service,they have been around since 82' i do believe,check em out.
                            http://www.metalmethod.com/
                            I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                              oh yeah,here is where i started from,longer ago than i care to admit,don't let the name fool you basics are basics it's the application that make a particular genre,anyway great course great customer service,they have been around since 82' i do believe,check em out.
                              http://www.metalmethod.com/
                              Wow darth! Thank you! I'll check it out for sure when I find the right 6-string.

Comment

Working...
                              X