No announcement yet.

Any guitar players out there???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Eb! Just to throw my :2cents: in, I'm a lefty as well. I initially had one hell of a time finding a good lefty guitar and was about to resort to restringing a right handed one. I found that I had MUCH better luck finding a lefty electric guitar, and you should be able to find some fairly decent ones in your price range.

I personally own a Dean Avalanche and love it. Not to mention I got it after it was discontinued so I only paid $200 for it. If you're lefty, you're lefty. Don't try to go against the grain, it just makes learning all the other stuff harder IMO.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      Yeah, I wasn't going to spend more then about $200 bucks on my "learner". I'll admit, there are some beautiful guitars out there... but at this point in my "career" they'd all be wasted on me.
      I spent $250 on my first acoustic. Honestly just make sure the guitar is good. People don't want to spent alot, but in the case of a guitar you don't want it to be too cheap. If it is the guitar will sound like crap, and you'll never feel like you're getting any better. When in reality it's just that the guitar sucks.

One thing I'd recommend for you though. If you do buy a $200-$300 guitar, and slap some good strings on it. You'll probably be very happy. Personally I like Elixir strings. They cost a little more, but they last A LOT longer and make your guitar sound better then it is.

Just my two cents.

Edit: One thing to look out for when you buy a guitar. Make sure the neck is nice and straight and the action is even. The action is the space between the strings and the neck. The lower the action the easier the guitar will be to learn and play on. You don't want a lot of space between the fretboard and the strings themselves. If you get it at Guitar Center it should be fine, but just something to look out for depending where you get it from. Also if you find a model you like at Guitar Center. Ask them if they can order you a left handed one.
      Last edited by Da Swerski; 10-05-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

So, I picked up an Epiphone DR-90T full acoustic in Vintage Starburt, but set up for learning right handed. Figure when I get good it'll open more doors to buying something a lot nicer then sticking lefty. It is a beautiful piece. Now.. just gotta learn to use it.
        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Niiiiice. I'm trying to decide between getting a new acoustic, a new classical, or a new banjo.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
            Niiiiice. I'm trying to decide between getting a new acoustic, a new classical, or a new banjo.
            Get all three???

Comment

This is part of why I wanna learn to play so bad. Songs like this for my wifey...

Comment

i'd love to learn, i want an acoustic

Comment

eb.........I played a bit when I was young (that covers a wide spectrum!!!!), and I stuck to my left handed roots. I think my buds helped me flip my first one (from right to left), and it was the way to go. Hence the saying, Don't be right............

..........when you can be left!!!!

Of course, as you know, I went on to be a rock legend, and the money and ladies just keep dropping in.

......so does my imagination......

Comment

I have played guitar for about 16 years (I am 31). If there is one thing I have learned in those 16 years, its not the guitar, its the player.

I have played on a lot of guitars over those years, and I still pick away on my first Yamaha at times. I wouldn't get so caught up in the guitar.

As far as what hand to play with? You could do either. Really. If left handed is the way you want to go though, I would go that route. Do what you want. Dont go right handed and then regret it.

Again though, go get a guitar that sounds good, but first focus on the playing. My first was from a pawn shop for about $200. It is still a great guitar. Do I take it to shows? No, but I dont play acoustic in shows or I wouldnt mind at all. The more important part is getting comfortable playing, and then go big after you understand more about your playing and what you like for sure.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X