• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BroncoManiac_69
    First Year Fan 1974
    • Sep 2003

NASA To Crash A Rocket Into The Moon

Tomorrow morning, Friday the 9th, NASA will intentionally crash a rocket into the moon. The purpose of the event is to determine whether the moon has water. The rocket will crash into the moon's south pole.

4 minutes after impact, a probe will pass by and collect dust samples left from the explosion.

The event is scheduled for 7:31 AM Eastern time tomorrow.

NASA Rocket Crash
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
  • BroncoManiac_69
    First Year Fan 1974
    • Sep 2003

I thought more of you would be interested.

This rocket geek finds this fascinating. The rocket being used is already in space and is sitting there as "extra" as they put it. So NASA will do this experiment not costing them too much.

One guy on facebook thought it would knock the moon out of orbit and we will all die.

Too funny. It will be like shooting a bullet into a mountain.

sigpic

Comment

• Maharishineo
      Special Teams
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
      Sounds fascinating to me. It's crazy that they're... just doing that. I wonder what the relations with the rest of the globe has or will be like in regard to the experiment.

Comment

• thatkidhunt
        All-Pro
        • Aug 2007

This rocket geek finds this fascinating. The rocket being used is already in space and is sitting there as "extra" as they put it. So NASA will do this experiment not costing them too much.

One guy on facebook thought it would knock the moon out of orbit and we will all die.

How can you follow to see what happens?? Will they show footage of it on tv?
        sigpic

Comment

• *Atwater*
          Siesta Time
          • Oct 2005

Hey I told you that in confidence.

sigpic
          Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

• Fargo
            Guy Noir, Private Eye
            • Jul 2009

What? Bombing the moon? This is a waste of the tax money! It'll disrupt the orbit! It will deface our nightly treasure! Ruin tides! Wait, why are these guys complaining?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Look at some of these people!
            Last edited by Fargo; 10-08-2009, 08:43 PM.
            Brock you like a hurricane!
            sigpic
            Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

• CoryWinget81
              five thousand, 800 and uh
              • Dec 2006

Well, let's hope they're telling the truth about the size of the rocket.

Could you imagine them using some huge nuke and disrupting the orbit, like people have suggested? That would be...wow.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Fargo
                Guy Noir, Private Eye
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                Well, let's hope they're telling the truth about the size of the rocket.

Could you imagine them using some huge nuke and disrupting the orbit, like people have suggested? That would be...wow.
                You do realize how huge that would have to be to even remotely change the orbit? Those craters you can see with the naked eye were catastrophic explosions and they didn't even disrupt the orbit. You would need an explosion the size of Venezuela to even wobble that sucker. It's pretty freaking huge.

Czar Bomba wouldn't have done anything either. Maybe you'd see a little dot on the surface, but nothing more. Even then, NASA doesn't have that kind of power.

Unless you watch the Tick and want to build a giant laser to carve your name into the Moon. Then that's just awesome.
                Last edited by Fargo; 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• CoryWinget81
                  five thousand, 800 and uh
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                  You do realize how huge that would have to be to even remotely change the orbit? Those craters you can see with the naked eye were catastrophic explosions and they didn't even disrupt the orbit. You would need an explosion the size of Venezuela to even wobble that sucker. It's pretty freaking huge.

Czar Bomba wouldn't have done anything either. Maybe you'd see a little dot on the surface, but nothing more. Even then, NASA doesn't have that kind of power.

Unless you watch the Tick and want to build a giant laser to carve your name into the Moon. Then that's just awesome.
                  I don't think it would ever happen, to reiterate.

Just the hypothetical, "What if it did?"

And that Youtube video about people living on the dark side of the moon...wow...lol
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Fargo
                    Guy Noir, Private Eye
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                    I don't think it would ever happen, to reiterate.

Just the hypothetical, "What if it did?"

And that Youtube video about people living on the dark side of the moon...wow...lol
                    I'd be the first to do it man. Cept I'd do it with style. You'd see a huge freaking black "F" for Fargo. :thumb:
                    sigpic

Comment

• darth-hideous
                      Bibo Ergo Sum!
                      • Sep 2007

Tomorrow morning, Friday the 9th, NASA will intentionally crash a rocket into the moon. The purpose of the event is to determine whether the moon has water. The rocket will crash into the moon's south pole.

4 minutes after impact, a probe will pass by and collect dust samples left from the explosion.

The event is scheduled for 7:31 AM Eastern time tomorrow.

NASA Rocket Crash
                      this is probably going to "miss" the aliens off
                      I really like Cheese.

Comment

• BroncoManiac_69
                        First Year Fan 1974
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Maharishineo View Post
                        Sounds fascinating to me. It's crazy that they're... just doing that. I wonder what the relations with the rest of the globe has or will be like in regard to the experiment.
                        The rocket will go to waste if they don't use it somehow so... let's "bomb" the moon.

They expect it to put enough dust up in the moon's atmosphere to collect samples from many years ago. They will be looking for ice more than water for obvious reasons.

One lady on our local Fox News said, can't they just drill a hole? LMAO!

Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
                        How can you follow to see what happens?? Will they show footage of it on tv?
                        NASA channel on DirecTV will air the event live. I'm not sure if other providers have the NASA channel, but they will be following it. Many news stations will also be showing satellite videos of it all. They say, we common folk can actually view it with a standard backyard telescope.

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                        What? Bombing the moon? This is a waste of the tax money! It'll disrupt the orbit! It will deface our nightly treasure! Ruin tides! Wait, why are these guys complaining?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Look at some of these people!
                        You should have heard some facebook people with serious responses like you just joked about. It was truly funny.

We're bombing the moon! Are there aliens there? ROFLMAO!! It's sad how stupid some people really are.

sigpic

Comment

• Bernie24
                          Playmaker
                          • Feb 2009

1st- I thought the moon was just a part of Earth that was knocked off millions of years ago? Wouldn't it of course have water?

2nd- What would happen if the moon was knocked out of orbit? To be honest I can't think of any catastrophic effects if its the earths rotation that changes from day and night?

Comment

• jetrazor74
                            Invincible Iron Fan
                            • Dec 2007

OMG!!!!!!!

Did you guys read the whole description for that video Fargo posted? LMAO!!!!

The NASA moon bombing, a component of the LCROSS mission, may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon as reported on the moon in witnessed statements by U.S. astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and in witnessed statements to NSA (National Security Agency) photos and documents regarding an extraterrestrial base on the dark side of the moon.
                            People are out of their minds!!! LMAO!!

Comment

• Fargo
                              Guy Noir, Private Eye
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                              OMG!!!!!!!

Did you guys read the whole description for that video Fargo posted? LMAO!!!!

People are out of their minds!!! LMAO!!
                              The thing that really gets me is when they say "detonate" and "kinetic bomb" in the same sentence.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X