Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon Droid

Anyone thinking of getting one?

My new every 2 is due, it looks like a sweet phone. I'm kinda dissappointed that apps can't be saved on the memory card though

Any thoughts on this phone?

Haven't heard anything about it but I would be interested I'm also due for an upgrade.
    sigpic

Comment

I picked up a storm 2 yesterday so that I could try it and return it if the droid is as good as everyone says it is. I am liking the storm 2 though. The only thing I am suspicious about with the Droid is I try not to get the first model of things because they tend to be buggy (hence why I stayed away from the first storm). But if you get it let us know. I am typically not a slider phone type, but this phone looks really nice.

Comment

Well, it goes for sale a week from tomorrow. I'll have to decide if the app storage issue is really an issue, and if so if it is a deal breaker. If I get it I'll let you know. It does look like an incredible device!

Comment

Luckily my new every 2 isn't up until may or march so by then they will have even better phones out but i've been trying to keep a real close eye on the droid... The only thing in uncertain of is how much internal memory storage does it have?
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Android is an awesome mobile OS. DO it.

I've had the Storm for almost a year and just had to get a warranty replacement. The OS on it is crap. The latest release is a lot better but not up to par with Googles Android. Once I can I'm switching to the Driod.
            Last edited by // / yardo; 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I have a My Touch phone which I love. The level of customization is amazing. I'm defiantly sold on Android.

That being said I work for Verizon wireless doing tech support. We recently trained on the new Android phones, and I have to say on the surface the phone is cool, but there is an underlying fact that ruins the whole idea for me.

The Android marketplace offers a lot of useful, free apps that make the phone worth having. The problem is that Verizon has restricted access to many of those apps, and has downright removed access to the others. Verizon wants to promote their V-Cast/Rhapsody feature, along with their new 10.00/15.00 per/MB packages for those phones.

I'm through T-mobile, and other than paying for the unlimited data to use the web functionality on the phone I don't have any additional charge, or restrictions on which Android apps I can download.

Verizon on the other hand not only charges for the data plan, but also requires an addition 15.00 dollars to access the V-Cast/ Rhapsody feature of the phone, an additional 9.99 for Navigator (If you are so inclined to use the feature) and worst of all charges a fee for use of the Android Marketplace for apps that are normally free otherwise.

I know as an employee I'm supposed to "promote" their service, and tell you how wonderful it is, but I don't feel that the company is doing it's customers justice by charging for things that other carriers are offering for free all in the name of a "better network" which is misleading in and of itself.
              Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
                I have a My Touch phone which I love. The level of customization is amazing. I'm defiantly sold on Android.

That being said I work for Verizon wireless doing tech support. We recently trained on the new Android phones, and I have to say on the surface the phone is cool, but there is an underlying fact that ruins the whole idea for me.

The Android marketplace offers a lot of useful, free apps that make the phone worth having. The problem is that Verizon has restricted access to many of those apps, and has downright removed access to the others. Verizon wants to promote their V-Cast/Rhapsody feature, along with their new 10.00/15.00 per/MB packages for those phones.

I'm through T-mobile, and other than paying for the unlimited data to use the web functionality on the phone I don't have any additional charge, or restrictions on which Android apps I can download.

Verizon on the other hand not only charges for the data plan, but also requires an addition 15.00 dollars to access the V-Cast/ Rhapsody feature of the phone, an additional 9.99 for Navigator (If you are so inclined to use the feature) and worst of all charges a fee for use of the Android Marketplace for apps that are normally free otherwise.

I know as an employee I'm supposed to "promote" their service, and tell you how wonderful it is, but I don't feel that the company is doing it's customers justice by charging for things that other carriers are offering for free all in the name of a "better network" which is misleading in and of itself.
                V-Cast/Rhapsody are optional though, right? I truly dont intend to use that feature anyways, and I doubt I'll use the Navigator... Isn't there a way to access the Android Marketplace on the computer and then sync the apps to the phone?
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                  V-Cast/Rhapsody are optional though, right? I truly dont intend to use that feature anyways, and I doubt I'll use the Navigator... Isn't there a way to access the Android Marketplace on the computer and then sync the apps to the phone?
                  I'm not sure about downloading apps from your computer. I suppose you could sync the files from your computer to the phone, but by the very nature of the apps. (Especially widgets) they may not run on the phone unless they are installed from the marketplace. You may be able to find an app that acts as an installer.

The problem comes from data charges Verizon levies for using apps. Your options are to either upgrade to a connect, or premium plan to allow unlimited data use on the device. If you don't want to pay for that you can opt for a 10/15 dollar MB feature that will allow limited use of those apps each month. This is true of any cellular carrier, however because Verizon considers Apps to be an optional thing they charge more for the use of certain apps.

I will give you an example using Verizon's Blackberry data service.

The basic unlimited data plan for Blackberry phones is 29.99 this includes use of the web, and e-mail exclusively. When Blackberry app world was released a few months ago Verizon changed their data package. You can still get the 29.99 plan, but if you want unlimited use of the Blackberry apps as well you have to pay for the 45.99 version of the data plan. This also does not include wireless tethering that feature is another 15.00.

Expect Verizon to have something like that for Android. A flat fee for web use, and e-mail, but an "up charge" for access to the use of apps. It is optional as you said, but if you opt to not take the more expensive version of the plan they will instead charge you a flat 1.99 per megabyte used for the apps.
                  Last edited by Poindexter; 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                    Vcast and Rhapsody are optional. You can use your computer to upload music etc onto the phone. Thats how I do it with my Storm. I don't even have the apps installed. Navigator is crap too and the Google maps application is sweet and going to offer turn-by-turn directions on the Andriod.

Comment

I'm not sure about downloading apps from your computer. I suppose you could sync the files from your computer to the phone, but by the very nature of the apps. (Especially widgets) they may not run on the phone unless they are installed from the marketplace. You may be able to find an app that acts as an installer.

The problem comes from data charges Verizon levies for using apps. Your options are to either upgrade to a connect, or premium plan to allow unlimited data use on the device. If you don't want to pay for that you can opt for a 10/15 dollar MB feature that will allow limited use of those apps each month. This is true of any cellular carrier, however because Verizon considers Apps to be an optional thing they charge more for the use of certain apps.

I will give you an example using Verizon's Blackberry data service.

The basic unlimited data plan for Blackberry phones is 29.99 this includes use of the web, and e-mail exclusively. When Blackberry app world was released a few months ago Verizon changed their data package. You can still get the 29.99 plan, but if you want unlimited use of the Blackberry apps as well you have to pay for the 45.99 version of the data plan. This also does not include wireless tethering that feature is another 15.00.

Expect Verizon to have something like that for Android. A flat fee for web use, and e-mail, but an "up charge" for access to the use of apps. It is optional as you said, but if you opt to not take the more expensive version of the plan they will instead charge you a flat 1.99 per megabyte used for the apps.
                      These are the reasons that I feel Verizon will Never get the Iphone. They will try to gimp it to the point of not wanting it. Do you know if Verizon will get that HTC HD2? That looks like a slick piece of machinery.

Comment

It's my understanding that those issues do not exist with Droid. I know I'll need the $30 data plan - but I'm paying $15 a month for one right now, so that's not much of a bump. Supposedly Android doesn't have that VCAST (which I HATE HATE HATE), but access to Android apps. It also comes loaded with Google's navigator, with voice turn by turn directions with a car mount. There is no charge for the Google navigation system.

Of course, this is all what I've seen on the web, and not on Verizon's site.

All in all, it seems pretty sweet. It's just the app memory space I'm concerned with.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                          It's my understanding that those issues do not exist with Droid. I know I'll need the $30 data plan - but I'm paying $15 a month for one right now, so that's not much of a bump. Supposedly Android doesn't have that VCAST (which I HATE HATE HATE), but access to Android apps. It also comes loaded with Google's navigator, with voice turn by turn directions with a car mount. There is no charge for the Google navigation system.

Of course, this is all what I've seen on the web, and not on Verizon's site.

All in all, it seems pretty sweet. It's just the app memory space I'm concerned with.
                          The 30 dollar data plan is actually 45.99 if you intend to use any apps that require data. (Almost all of them use data) You can get by with the 29.99 data package if you don't mind paying the 1.99 per megabyte charge for data accumulated by using apps. To put simply if you don't intend to use Apps then don't get an android phone. It will be a waste of your money in the long run.

As for the V-cast/Rhapsody package. Verizon has removed most of the music apps from the marketplace (i music, Mabilo, ect.) in an effort to promote the use of their V Cast product. I think this is a horrible business practice personally.

While the phones functionality will remain in tact you will have to weigh the cost vs. the benefit.

This is a primary reason why I dismissed getting an employee discount to switch to Verizon and stuck with my T-Mobile service. I like the fact that I pay one price for all access to unlimited use of all of my apps with no restrictions. T-Mobile of course has it's own set of issues that cause me a headache, but you will get that regardless of who your carrier is.

Comment

Iphone for the win.

(And my BB Curve 8320 currently retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              Iphone for the win.

(And my BB Curve 8320 currently retired)
                              Bleh. AT&T's coverage SUCKS here. Iphone is a sweet device, but on the wrong network

Comment

Working...
                              X