Dogs!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I'm curious what other dog lovers would do. One of my best buds keeps getting large tumors on his back legs. Fatty tumors are not usually a big deal, but they can interfere with their movement and if they attach themselves to muscle or joint its my understanding they can cause pain. We have removed them twice on my Ridgeback mix and once on Husky, because of the tumors location. Both my boys were nine last time we did this in January. My husky snapped right out of it, was even good enough to remove his own stitches when I thought I could trust him and didn't make him wear his cone. My Ridgeback mix was clearly in a lot of pain and it seemed to take him about 2-3 days just to snap out of the anesthesia. I swore I wouldn't do it again because of how long it took him to get back to himself, felt it was too hard on him. After about 5 months he has another huge mass on the inside of his leg and our vet, who I trust very much is suggesting to remove it. We have let it go for a while now and it's getting pretty big. We had x-rays done and its not affecting the bone. There is always a risk with anesthesia though too and after the last time based on his age I can't decide if its worth it to remove again, wondering what others would do.
    This is a hard decision, and probably is more subjective given it's your loved one and knowing how much you care for him. Objectively it seems to be a case of whether the several days of possible pain, and even a risk of more serious impact (with the anesthetics) is worth protecting him from potential further damage done by these tumors. I wish I knew the odds of them causing him real damage and pain as time goes on, because that is a key factor. If you really trust your vet, I would typically side with them. Perhaps they can lessen the anesthetics to improve your dog's recovery period.

But this is a tough one. Once you make a decision, do not look back, because it is not an easy one....but you have to do what appears to be right for your dog. That's all you can do.

Comment

I'm curious what other dog lovers would do. One of my best buds keeps getting large tumors on his back legs. Fatty tumors are not usually a big deal, but they can interfere with their movement and if they attach themselves to muscle or joint its my understanding they can cause pain. We have removed them twice on my Ridgeback mix and once on Husky, because of the tumors location. Both my boys were nine last time we did this in January. My husky snapped right out of it, was even good enough to remove his own stitches when I thought I could trust him and didn't make him wear his cone. My Ridgeback mix was clearly in a lot of pain and it seemed to take him about 2-3 days just to snap out of the anesthesia. I swore I wouldn't do it again because of how long it took him to get back to himself, felt it was too hard on him. After about 5 months he has another huge mass on the inside of his leg and our vet, who I trust very much is suggesting to remove it. We have let it go for a while now and it's getting pretty big. We had x-rays done and its not affecting the bone. There is always a risk with anesthesia though too and after the last time based on his age I can't decide if its worth it to remove again, wondering what others would do.
      I'd get it done sooner rather than later. If you trust the vet they understand the anesthesia issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

This is a hard decision, and probably is more subjective given it's your loved one and knowing how much you care for him. Objectively it seems to be a case of whether the several days of possible pain, and even a risk of more serious impact (with the anesthetics) is worth protecting him from potential further damage done by these tumors. I wish I knew the odds of them causing him real damage and pain as time goes on, because that is a key factor. If you really trust your vet, I would typically side with them. Perhaps they can lessen the anesthetics to improve your dog's recovery period.

But this is a tough one. Once you make a decision, do not look back, because it is not an easy one....but you have to do what appears to be right for your dog. That's all you can do.
        Me too, wish I knew the odds as to how much damage in the long run. It was an easier decision the first two times, because it was right in the crease of his leg both times and about the size of a soft ball each time when we had it removed. Once they were removed though he was back to jumping on the furniture again. Just awkward enough for him to slow him down. Yes, my vet mentioned doing less or a different type of anesthesia. I'm on the fence, I didn't expect him to get another so fast.

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        I'd get it done sooner rather than later. If you trust the vet they understand the anesthesia issue.
        Yes, I thought she would side with me that he's getting too old, but she mentioned to look at other options. Yeah, I agree though better to do it early on if we are going to do it.

sigpic
        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
        Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Waiting for daylight so I can walk my two best pals. Anyone else have a dog who is picky about where they walk? My husky dictates where we go. A place that has been my favorite for years when cool enough to be safe from snakes, he has refused to walk the last two times... he keeps trying to turn around, like he thinks we'll get back in the car and go elsewhere. So no more of that desert area, sucks dragging a dog instead of walking him. I used to wonder if there was something unsafe he was sensing, often hear gunshots in the area and the dogs always hear them before I do... Other times I hear nothing at all and just think he's a jerk, because it was my favorite hiking area and have since had to find a new one.
          sigpic
          Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
          Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
          Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
          Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Waiting for daylight so I can walk my two best pals. Anyone else have a dog who is picky about where they walk? My husky dictates where we go. A place that has been my favorite for years when cool enough to be safe from snakes, he has refused to walk the last two times... he keeps trying to turn around, like he thinks we'll get back in the car and go elsewhere. So no more of that desert area, sucks dragging a dog instead of walking him. I used to wonder if there was something unsafe he was sensing, often hear gunshots in the area and the dogs always hear them before I do... Other times I hear nothing at all and just think he's a jerk, because it was my favorite hiking area and have since had to find a new one.
            The little character I walk likes any route that has things to eat on the ground. I think, "this is a nice walk", except she is basically hunting.

Comment

Working...
            X