Help me find a place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a place

Through the current program I am in for school (Ski Area Management) after this next fall I will be able to go out on a Co-Op and work in the ski industry somewhere in the lower 48, I am currently looking for places I want to move out to, because if I play my cards right I could actually get hired at this place, plus I really wanna get out west.

So, right now I'm looking at Jackson Hole, WY- great powder but I dunno a lot else

Kinda eyeing Montana and Colorado, and then I got my eyes sorta on Mammoth Mountain, CA.

Any help, advice or anything about this or anything with going into the ski industry would be much appreciated. At some point if the money falls how I want it to I want to sorta dabble in real estate a lil, at least to buy my own house.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Peace
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
    Through the current program I am in for school (Ski Area Management) after this next fall I will be able to go out on a Co-Op and work in the ski industry somewhere in the lower 48, I am currently looking for places I want to move out to, because if I play my cards right I could actually get hired at this place, plus I really wanna get out west.

So, right now I'm looking at Jackson Hole, WY- great powder but I dunno a lot else

Kinda eyeing Montana and Colorado, and then I got my eyes sorta on Mammoth Mountain, CA.

Any help, advice or anything about this or anything with going into the ski industry would be much appreciated. At some point if the money falls how I want it to I want to sorta dabble in real estate a lil, at least to buy my own house.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Peace
    Take a look at Monarch in Colorado.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

You might consider Park City, UT
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

My uncle has a house up there. His neighbor (until my uncle moved last year) was **** Cheney on one side and the dude that owns Parker Pens on the other.

The reason I am pointing this out is because I'm telling you right now, you'll be sorry.

This is not an inexpensive place to live. I realize that Wyoming overall is a fairly unpopulated state, but Jackson Hole in particular... Isn't unpopulated, nor is it poor.

The cost of living matters a lot, especially to a student and someone who is starting out. I kid you not... You better take a look at the cost of certain things in that area before you get there. My uncle and I went out to eat with three of his friends when we were there. The bill was absolutely mind-boggling.

There are some cheaper places, but still if you're trying to impress a date or what have you, you're going to want to go to the nicer places. The specialty coffee shops and such cost a bit more than you're probably used to. If your company holds a company event, it's likely to be at a fancier place, and the prices will reflect that.

The general cost of living in that area is incredibly high. You'd better look into what you're going to be making, what bills you have to pay, and how much simple day-to-day survival costs up there. Yeah, there's still the normal gas station and what have you, but you're going to need ski equipment, cups of coffee, some ice cream now and then, and maybe a date or two...

That stuff needs to be considered. If you're struggling financially as most students do, I strongly recommend against starting off in Jackson Hole. It is NOT a poverty-stricken area.

If you were my little brother, I'd tell you to come to Colorado or Montana. You might actually be able to take a cute girl out to a nice place in Monarch or Billings. In Jackson Hole... You're eating McDonalds.

Comment

Some Western Colorado locations. If you want to be close to a major population center then the following will not be for you:

Purgatory / Durango Mountain Resort
          - close to Durango; college town; very scenic; on the edge of nowhere

Telluride
          - middle of nowhere, but unsurpassed beauty & ruggedness. Expert terrain is top notch.

Crested Butte
          - middle of nowhere; beautiful; frigid

Powderhorn
          - close to Grand Junction; college town; area population of about 140,000

Wolf Creek
          - really in the middle of nowhere, but usually tops in the state for snow

Steamboat Springs
          - yet another resort that gets lots of snow in the middle of nowhere; small college there too.

Steamboat, Telluride (& Crested Butte to a degree) are your typical resort communities. The rest are fringe. There are some others (Sunlight, Silverton), but these are the main ones out west.

The West IS the Best!
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

If you decide on montana, i'd recommend missoula. Snobowl is really close, and missoula is the best city in the entire world. Im currently attending college here and it is amazing.
            the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
              My uncle has a house up there. His neighbor (until my uncle moved last year) was **** Cheney on one side and the dude that owns Parker Pens on the other.

The reason I am pointing this out is because I'm telling you right now, you'll be sorry.

This is not an inexpensive place to live. I realize that Wyoming overall is a fairly unpopulated state, but Jackson Hole in particular... Isn't unpopulated, nor is it poor.

The cost of living matters a lot, especially to a student and someone who is starting out. I kid you not... You better take a look at the cost of certain things in that area before you get there. My uncle and I went out to eat with three of his friends when we were there. The bill was absolutely mind-boggling.

There are some cheaper places, but still if you're trying to impress a date or what have you, you're going to want to go to the nicer places. The specialty coffee shops and such cost a bit more than you're probably used to. If your company holds a company event, it's likely to be at a fancier place, and the prices will reflect that.

The general cost of living in that area is incredibly high. You'd better look into what you're going to be making, what bills you have to pay, and how much simple day-to-day survival costs up there. Yeah, there's still the normal gas station and what have you, but you're going to need ski equipment, cups of coffee, some ice cream now and then, and maybe a date or two...

That stuff needs to be considered. If you're struggling financially as most students do, I strongly recommend against starting off in Jackson Hole. It is NOT a poverty-stricken area.

If you were my little brother, I'd tell you to come to Colorado or Montana. You might actually be able to take a cute girl out to a nice place in Monarch or Billings. In Jackson Hole... You're eating McDonalds.
              I used to live not far from Jackson Hole. This is NOT the place for you. You'll never afford housing. Unless you can find 5 other ski bums to rent a place with you.

Trust me, I used to drive to Jackson about once a month. You're best off finding some other place.

Beautiful area. But only for the super rich. Most people I know that worked in Jackson had to drive about an hour or more to get there, usually from Idaho, because it was the nearest place they could afford housing, and in the dead of winter, that's a pretty crappy drive.

Trust me. I know. I made the drive in the winter many many times, with risks of avalanches blocking roads, and heaven forbid you get stuck overnight there and can't get home. A hotel room will require you to take a loan out.

On the up side, fast food and groceries aren't terribly priced. I used to drive there to shop because it was just as close and a much nicer area than my other option. Downfall is that they only have a small K-Mart there so they don't always have everything.

If you want a fantastic area to live in, that isn't outrageously expensive, check out Terry Peak and Deer Mountain just outside of Lead, SD.

Also check Bridger Bowl in MT. Great places and they won't kill your wallet trying to make a living.

Comment

Yea, upon further research I doubt I'd do Jackson Hole.

To be honest I really donno where I wanna go, I just know I want out of the midwest, and west seems better than east as far as snow fall and culture goes.

I wish there was somewhere on the net that could help you look into stuff like this more, I'm trying google and just searching random cities or places I can think of
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Boise, Idaho might not be a bad option. Bogus Basin is located in the Boise foothills, only a 30 minute drive up the hill from downtown Boise. Additionally, there are two other resorts within two hours of Boise (Tamarak-90 minutes, and Brundage Mountain-2 hours).

The cost of living in Boise is very affordable, and BSU is also in downtown Boise and is a very affordable school if your still interested in going to school.

Tamarak resort is located near a small town, called Cascade. The town itself does have affordable living, but there are only about 1,100 people there, so it's not a great place to get started in real estate.

Brundage Mountain is located in McCall, which is about 30 minutes north of Cascade, which makes the two resorts pretty close to each other. McCall is a little bit bigger, with approximately 3,000 people, but it's quite a bit more expensive to live there. Realistically though, if you were to get a gig at Brundage Mountain you could live in Cascade instead, since it's only a 30 minute drive.

One of the biggest benefits of being a Bronco fan living in the Boise area is the fact that 95% of the games are televised locally on free TV.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Another thing I may have failed to mention that may change some things imo is that this year I intend to get my first motorcycle, and while I can't say for sure, I know i've always wanted one, and if it's not snowing I kind of want to be able to use it.

Thanks by the way for all the help guys, def. interesting reads and very informative
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Another thing I may have failed to mention that may change some things imo is that this year I intend to get my first motorcycle, and while I can't say for sure, I know i've always wanted one, and if it's not snowing I kind of want to be able to use it.

Thanks by the way for all the help guys, def. interesting reads and very informative
                      Then Colorado is really about your only choice. Maybe Utah.

Jackson Hole and Montana are not good options for a motorcycle. A skimobile? Sure. Motorcycle? No.

Comment

Another place you might consider is Glenwood Springs, CO. Several ski resorts nearby, a small college, on the interstate, semi-reasonable cost of living, and a great central location for someone looking to explore Colorado on a motorcycle (outside of winter, of course).

You can start here, but searching the net would provide lots more.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenwood_Springs,_Colorado

I also recommend sending PowderAddict a message. He lives in nearby Rifle, is a motorcycle and skiing enthusiast, and could give you any and all information you need to know about the area (including skiing, biking, cost of living, etc.). I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

Use City-Data.com

That site has a forum that has people who get on there and talk about pretty much every city, town, municipality in the whole damn country. You'll find all kinds of real people on there giving advice, info on cost of living etc. Lots of good info.

I grew up in Steamboat Springs and I thought it was great, but by the time I graduated from High School I wanted out. You get sick of looking at the same chicks all the time. I think that can be said of most resort towns. The populations that live there year round are going to be small and IMO you're going to see a disparity in the male/female ratio ha ha. Our HS only had 600 students, only half of those were girls, only half of them are worth looking at, and then the piece of the pie gets even smaller when you factor in that only so many of them are going to wanna talk to you ha ha ha. Then after HS most of them leave. Your left with a town full of dudes and only a few decent looking girls around

I think for a young guy you're probably going to want to find a resort in relatively short proximity to a major population center. Resorts tend to be fairly secluded and don't have a ton going on. Simple things like buying a pair of shoes can become a chore because there usually aren't any malls or famous footwares or something and in the case of The Boat (at least when I was a kid) my options were Wal mart or FM light and Sons or drive 3 hours away. So LA gears or Cowboy boots ha ha. Things have changed a lot up there since I moved so I don't know, there may be more stuff.

I would check City Data, just use the search function to look up each prospective town/city, and consider trying to find a place thats at least under an hour from a major population center that has amenities and entertainment. You may also ask your professor of your program if you can get ahold of any former students or talk to people that are doing what you're doing to get some info on the programs that each resort offers. One may offer a more intensive learning experience than the others and help you bolster your resume.

Good luck man!
                          sigpic

Comment

Dude.... Black Hills of South Dakota.... Sturgis.... motorcycle....

Granted, the slopes they have aren't huge, but they're decent and the area is affordable, unlike most other ski resorts.

Check out Lead, Deadwood and Spearfish, South Dakota. :salute!:

Comment

Working...
                            X