Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell phones and cars

ahead of time i apologize:

they need to make it illegal nationwide to use a phone while driving period. Hands free i can see but it still depends on the driver. I get so sick of seeing people do stupid stuff while driving only to find them yammering on their stupid phone. Theres no reason to be driving and talking anyways so stay off your phones while driving! :brick::brick::doh:

does this bother anyone else?
    Glen Haven Fire

I agree, and to a point there have been studies saying that the hands free aren't really any safer, because the problem is having your mind pre-occupied with something other than driving, therefore you aren't paying attention to what's happening around you.

The thought that hands free is "safer" because you have two hands on the wheel, would be the same logic as not giving someone a liscence because they only have one arm and would be dangerous......

It's amazing that i didn't have a cell phone until i was almost through college, and never missed a party, a date, a joke, any other "social event" yet 90% of todays crowd, can't go 15 seconds without the damn thing jammed in their face, either t-messaging, or talking......

ok I'll get off my soap box now.

Comment

Cell phone use has been banned here now for a while when behind the wheel. Hands free kits are allowed. The big thing is not so much the having one hand off the wheel (although this reduces control of a car if your in an accident type situation) but its mainly the fumbling with the phone when your trying to make or receive calls. Then you have those who try sending text messages while driving. Its a fine and points on your license here, and there are those lobbying for a bigger fine.
      It works well, hands free kits are readily avaliable and inexpensive. And there are few people who can claim to be so good behind the wheel that using a phone with your hands doesn't affect their driving.
      "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
      Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie View Post
        Cell phone use has been banned here now for a while when behind the wheel. Hands free kits are allowed. The big thing is not so much the having one hand off the wheel (although this reduces control of a car if your in an accident type situation) but its mainly the fumbling with the phone when your trying to make or receive calls. Then you have those who try sending text messages while driving. Its a fine and points on your license here, and there are those lobbying for a bigger fine.
        It works well, hands free kits are readily avaliable and inexpensive. And there are few people who can claim to be so good behind the wheel that using a phone with your hands doesn't affect their driving.
        own dont worry i started this thread so people can speak their minds

nah people holding a phone to their ear are just as bad as the ones fumbling. Theres no part of that process that should be done while driving. Self proclaimation doesnt mean much to me...kinda like when i hear people say that they drive better drunk......
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

If I can't text when I drive what am I supposed to do?..............

Although Im kinda serious cause Im always texting when I drive.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post

start a fire in the back of your car and use the hatch to make smoke signals
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
              ahead of time i apologize:

they need to make it illegal nationwide to use a phone while driving period. Hands free i can see but it still depends on the driver. I get so sick of seeing people do stupid stuff while driving only to find them yammering on their stupid phone. Theres no reason to be driving and talking anyways so stay off your phones while driving! :brick::brick::doh:

does this bother anyone else?
              I completely agree. I have a job that requires me to do a lot of driving around to check job sites. I use a blue tooth because I don't feel safe talking on the phone with out it. It limits your peripheral vision because you can't rotate your head completely to check your blind spots. Additionally it only allows you to have one hand on the wheel, as you mentioned.

Some people have suggested that using blue tooths should be banned as well, but my argument is that it is not any more distracting to be talking to somebody in the car with you.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I use my cell phone while driving, but yet still find my self cursing at people that use there cell phones while driving.. I just think some people can do it safely while others cant.. I have absolutely no problem talking and driving, and have no problem with other people doing it either as long as there not driving like idiots..

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post

I'm glad you live in CO and not here.

Dumb driving bothers me, whether it's with a cell or something else.
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                    start a fire in the back of your car and use the hatch to make smoke signals
                    now that's funny i don't care who ya are.............

I somehow am envisioning a scene from waynes world, and the mirth mobile with smoke signals.....

Comment

This is always a touchy subject. The fact of the matter is some people just can't multi-task properly, or are such poor drivers that introducing anything else into the situation just puts them over the edge. It will be made illegal in B.C. starting January 1st 2010. Personally Ive been talking/texting while driving for over 8 years, accident free. A lot of my life relies on having good motor skills and reaction time, so Im comfortable with adding other activities to my daily drive.
                      sigpic
                      Fly Smart. Fly Bell.

Comment

I understand that some people are just better drivers and can multi-task better than others, but being accident free as a person who cells/texts and drives and/or perceiving yourself to be a good driver while on your phone doesn't mean that you actually ARE a good driver. Anymore every time I see a poor driving act it is committed by someone on their phone. Most of the time it appears that it's because they're either not paying attention or are just physically unable to perform the necessary tasks to drive properly.

I see plenty of people on their phones that are drivng just fine, but I'm not there to observe them through the whole conversation either. Through personal experience and from observations, for example, I know that talking on a hand-held, using the turn signal, negotiating a turn/merge, and down-shifting all while paying attention to ALL the traffic around you, the traffic lights/signs AND the phone conversation is a very difficult thing to do.

Driving alone has proven to be one of the most neurological intensive activities you can do. The visual bombardment, the physical/motor management of the controls, and the continual anticipation taxes your brain to the max (whether you realize it or not). Many times we have to give up some control of one process in order to maximize control of another. And, to throw in YET ANOTHER activity all while physically handicapping yourself (in the event of using a hand held) is just asking for trouble.

At a minimum I feel that using hand helds while driving should be illegal, but even then unless you've had some kind of an enhancement to your frontal cortex then there are probably times where your driving skills are less than stellar if you're talking & driving. And, when risking YOUR LIFE (and those of many others), why not maximize your ability to remain in control and do EVERYTHING in your power to maintain a safe stance on the road and be the BEST driver you can be?

:2cents:
                        Winter is Coming!

Comment

MNG your last paragraph said it all. People dont realize that a vehicle can become a weapon in a second. They also think driving is a right when its actually a privilage.

I dont do anything on the phone while im driving. I also dont having a single ticket or accident on my record. Im not really a stickler about anything other than my job and driving.
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

this is a very difficult subject . . . . i dont do it often but i do text.talk on my phone, yet still yell at other people for doing it . . . . hypocritical, maybe lol

but i find people to lose track of their speed whether it be too fast or too slow, they dont use their signals when switching lanes or meging into traffic. usually they are a mess of a driver and it annoys me to the end
                            sigpic
                            -------

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                              I understand that some people are just better drivers and can multi-task better than others, but being accident free as a person who cells/texts and drives and/or perceiving yourself to be a good driver while on your phone doesn't mean that you actually ARE a good driver. Anymore every time I see a poor driving act it is committed by someone on their phone. Most of the time it appears that it's because they're either not paying attention or are just physically unable to perform the necessary tasks to drive properly.

I see plenty of people on their phones that are drivng just fine, but I'm not there to observe them through the whole conversation either. Through personal experience and from observations, for example, I know that talking on a hand-held, using the turn signal, negotiating a turn/merge, and down-shifting all while paying attention to ALL the traffic around you, the traffic lights/signs AND the phone conversation is a very difficult thing to do.

Driving alone has proven to be one of the most neurological intensive activities you can do. The visual bombardment, the physical/motor management of the controls, and the continual anticipation taxes your brain to the max (whether you realize it or not). Many times we have to give up some control of one process in order to maximize control of another. And, to throw in YET ANOTHER activity all while physically handicapping yourself (in the event of using a hand held) is just asking for trouble.

At a minimum I feel that using hand helds while driving should be illegal, but even then unless you've had some kind of an enhancement to your frontal cortex then there are probably times where your driving skills are less than stellar if you're talking & driving. And, when risking YOUR LIFE (and those of many others), why not maximize your ability to remain in control and do EVERYTHING in your power to maintain a safe stance on the road and be the BEST driver you can be?

:2cents:
                              That is an excellent post....

I spend a fair amount of time on the road and I have come to expect a person talking on the phone whenever I come upon someone driving in an inattentive manner (10-15 miles per hour below the speed limit; swerving; etc). It greatly annoys me when I drive past them to see a person holding a phone up to there ear while they hold the wheel with the other hand. They of course miss my intense glare because they have no peripheral vision......

When my wife and I were driving to northern Idaho for the Thanksgiving holiday we came across a driver that being somewhat obnoxious. She would speed up, go around you, then slow down. Her speed kept fluctuating by about ten miles per hour. When we were behind her I told me wife that the driver was either drunk or talking on a cell phone. When I went around her my wife said she could see the driver was holding a phone in her lap, and the lights were lit, meaning she was using it; probably texting.

There have been tests done on people texting while they drive and attentiveness at the wheel is about the same as a person driving with a blood alcohol 2.5 times the legal limit.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                              X