Grey/White smoke pouring from the front of my car :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey/White smoke pouring from the front of my car :(

Can someone here give me at least maybe an idea of what I Am in for? I got to work and pulled up and the fonr ot my hood started pouring white smoke/grey smoke from the hood where like my alt. and all that is....

I'm not asking for a fix but at least an idea if it is going to be like fatal for my engine or if this is something hopefully simple that can be fixed, PLEASE!

I'm desperate!!

If I were to guess, I'd say it could be one of these things, keep in mind I have no experience with rotary engines.

1) You could have a problem with your voltage regulator, causing it to overcharge and heat your battery

2) Oil leak, possibly from a valve cover gasket, that dripped on to your alternator
    Go Huskers.

Comment

I spoke to my Uncle who is a guru with cars, I think it is a hose that is leaking, cause it def has to do with my radiator and coolant somehow. I just need to get it looked at asap so I don't hurt anything further

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
        I spoke to my Uncle who is a guru with cars, I think it is a hose that is leaking, cause it def has to do with my radiator and coolant somehow. I just need to get it looked at asap so I don't hurt anything further
        White smoke is a good indicator of coolant. Probably have a leaky hose. Those arent horrible to fix. Just have someone crank the car for a second while you spot the leak and have them quick cut it off. Replace the hose, refill the radiator with 50/50 and you are done.
        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

If it smells sweet, it's definately coolant. Burning coolant has a very distinctive smell. Much different than burning oil, or a gasoline leak.

Typically those issues are not hard to fix, but if it's the radiator that's another story. But do as McSmashie said, and it'll be pretty easy to track down.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
            If it smells sweet, it's definately coolant. Burning coolant has a very distinctive smell. Much different than burning oil, or a gasoline leak.

Typically those issues are not hard to fix, but if it's the radiator that's another story. But do as McSmashie said, and it'll be pretty easy to track down.
            I had to replace the radiator in my Jeep recently. Because my Jeep is a V8 with full time 4WD and has the towing package on it, the radiator is FREAKING HUGE!!!

That things was EXPENSIVE and a pain in the arse to change out.
            sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
              I had to replace the radiator in my Jeep recently. Because my Jeep is a V8 with full time 4WD and has the towing package on it, the radiator is FREAKING HUGE!!!

That things was EXPENSIVE and a pain in the arse to change out.
              That sucks! Even DIY is still expensive, but still when possible much better than paying the mechanic!

I try doing basic stuff, but I am the worlds worst mechanic! I've never done an actual radiator, but have done multiple thermostats

The most I've ever done is swapping out the clutch in an old 86 RX-7, dropping the tranny, etc - but even then I had help from my brother in law who is a great mechanic.

Comment

It was my upper front radiator hose, had some daylight to look at it. Had my Uncle come down, thank god it was just a $16.95 problem

I am real thankful, I have bad car luck

Comment

Let me guess, its a Chevy
                  sigpic

Comment

It was my upper front radiator hose, had some daylight to look at it. Had my Uncle come down, thank god it was just a $16.95 problem

I am real thankful, I have bad car luck
                    Like the old saying goes, the simplest answer is usually the right one. Any leaky coolant generally will involve a leaky hose. Quick and easy fix.

Good work!
                    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                      Let me guess, its a Chevy
                      99 Chevy Lumina

Comment

99 Chevy Lumina

I knew it!!!

Haha no Im just messin with ya.
                        Last edited by VenomousDB; 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post

I knew it!!!

Haha no Im just messin with ya.
                          Naw u have every right haha. It's not perfect but it gets me to work. haha

Comment

Working...
                          X