May You Be Extremely Good at Repetition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May You Be Extremely Good at Repetition

Life is all about repetition. And although we try to be innovative and creative and all that breakfast of champions stuff, a large part of our time on this rotating earth comes down to one basic process......repeating things over and over.

I don't have to give you a long list, but here's a sample:
    - eating a number of times a day, including the sometimes tiresome task of making meals
    - sleeping (kind of important)
    - going to work (day after day)....just the whole idea of getting there on time
    - repeating the work process (ie. weekly reports / monthend budgets)
    - washing & drying clothes, ironing
    - maintaining the place we live in (vacuum, dishes, sweeping, grass cutting, snow clearing)
    - getting ready to go out (ladies tend to spend lots of time on this one...then again, they look better!!)
    - working out
    - watching the same shows

okay....enough

These things are basics of living, but after many years, they can get to you. Sometimes you become immune to the repetitive process, as if to transcend it.......maybe that's why we listen to music, or interact with others thru any medium available while involved with the cycles. Maybe we numb ourselves, so that we isolate the "routine" from the the good stuff. And if one is creative, they learn how to mask things by spinning them differently, whether it be a change in the food we eat, taking a more scenic route to work, or even changing up the weekly schedule with a new diversion or interest.

Ironically, a lot of folks like routine. They feel safe and secure by it. In some cases, they are robotic. I know a number of folks like that, who seem to thrive on repetition. Some are in sports...the ones that can run or bike or work out for hours.

So......for those newborns of the world, to the parents I offer, "may your child be blessed with the ability and skillset to be extremely good at repetition".

Haha, it's a bit depressing when you step back and look at it. I used to be very routine (I come from a very routine family and all) and used to take some pride in it. But I've actively tried to cut down on it...obviously you can never truly eliminate things like meal times/sleeping etc. but I try to do what I want when I want. I plan things less (for better or worse) and like to live off spontanaity; I guess it's a good way of protecting yourself from the disappointment of having plans go awry. Ultimately, the thought of my life being completely controlled by routine absolutely terrifies me - the more that happens, the more you live your life on autopilot which isn't that desirable.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
      Haha, it's a bit depressing when you step back and look at it. I used to be very routine (I come from a very routine family and all) and used to take some pride in it. But I've actively tried to cut down on it...obviously you can never truly eliminate things like meal times/sleeping etc. but I try to do what I want when I want. I plan things less (for better or worse) and like to live off spontanaity; I guess it's a good way of protecting yourself from the disappointment of having plans go awry. Ultimately, the thought of my life being completely controlled by routine absolutely terrifies me - the more that happens, the more you live your life on autopilot which isn't that desirable.
      I hope I didn't paint too negative of a picture, but I do believe that there is some substance in my words.........but in the end, it's all what you make of it. Certainly there are times when I see the repetitiveness of what we do, and it is a bit dull.....and one needs stamina and endurance to make it go by without causing some impact on the spirit and energy that we should not be deprived of. But the idea of the "ritual" that drives the behaviour can be concerning.....

If you or someone close to you seems to be doing the same things almost every day, is that a bad thing, or is it okay? I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. As long as you feel good inside, that's where the rubber really hits the road.

Comment

I see you've read a few McDaniels threads in GD

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          I hope I didn't paint too negative of a picture, but I do believe that there is some substance in my words.........but in the end, it's all what you make of it. Certainly there are times when I see the repetitiveness of what we do, and it is a bit dull.....and one needs stamina and endurance to make it go by without causing some impact on the spirit and energy that we should not be deprived of. But the idea of the "ritual" that drives the behaviour can be concerning.....

If you or someone close to you seems to be doing the same things almost every day, is that a bad thing, or is it okay? I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. As long as you feel good inside, that's where the rubber really hits the road.
          I guess context is important as well. Routine is taking its toll on my parents in different ways: ever since my dad left his last job three years ago, he's settled into a nice routine of doing...well, sweet sod all. On the one hand he's very comfortable doing it, but it's really accentuated some of his bad personality traits. On the other hand, my mum's routine means she works her arse off every working day of the week and still has to sort out 101 things at the weekend. I really admire her but she's in a position where she feels she has to stay in routine and has no opportunity to sit down and chill out.

My main problem with routine is this: say you routinely make a good gesture to someone...after a while you lapse into autopilot and it quickly loses its meaning. And it can take a long time for people to step back and realise "why am I actually doing this?!" As I said before, living one's life like a robot is a prospect that utterly terrifies me. Obviously, some routines are good if you're doing something that you have to do...but ultimately I believe in making your own luck and the more unnecessary routines you have, the more opportunities you're likely to miss IMO. Maybe I have a slight irrational dislike of it, maybe my views are justified. I don't actually know.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
            I guess context is important as well. Routine is taking its toll on my parents in different ways: ever since my dad left his last job three years ago, he's settled into a nice routine of doing...well, sweet sod all. On the one hand he's very comfortable doing it, but it's really accentuated some of his bad personality traits. On the other hand, my mum's routine means she works her arse off every working day of the week and still has to sort out 101 things at the weekend. I really admire her but she's in a position where she feels she has to stay in routine and has no opportunity to sit down and chill out.

My main problem with routine is this: say you routinely make a good gesture to someone...after a while you lapse into autopilot and it quickly loses its meaning. And it can take a long time for people to step back and realise "why am I actually doing this?!" As I said before, living one's life like a robot is a prospect that utterly terrifies me. Obviously, some routines are good if you're doing something that you have to do...but ultimately I believe in making your own luck and the more unnecessary routines you have, the more opportunities you're likely to miss IMO. Maybe I have a slight irrational dislike of it, maybe my views are justified. I don't actually know.
            Your story regarding your parents is not surprising to me at all........when I first went into semi-retirement I wasn't sure what to do with all my time, and for a while I was doing too much of nothing. That's an unsafe place to be, if you are able to do more. It feels free for a while, but then you realize there is so much more to do. And as per your situation, my wife kept working and kept doing a lot for the home, while I took over some responsibilties she had......but probably not enough. I am happier now (and I am sure my wife is too) working at 2 different jobs at least 4 days per week, and challenging myself like I did a couple of years back, while being very much involved with a number of projects. Soon it will be my wife's turn to retire, and knowing her, she will stay very busy. But I understand your parents' situation...it is all too common with folks in that age zone, and it can be a problem.

And I agree with you......make things happen, don't sit back and get into a proverbial rut. Not healthy for the mind or the body.

Comment

I was going to write a new thread about repetition, but this one pretty much covers it. Hope you enjoy.

Comment

I'm the KING of repetition. I get up everyday between 12-1PM, take pills and water, come on here, get off at 1:45, turn between 2-2:30, turn again around 4:10, afternoon care from 4-6:30, eat dinner between 6:30-7, come on-line from 7-9:30, lay down around 10:10-10:20, turn at 10:40, turn again around 12:45, midnight care from 12:45-4, sleep from 4-8:30, turn again, and sleep from 9 on. I also take pills 5 different times a day
                "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

It’s the method of the universe, bud…nay, the glorious meaning of life.

Planets orbit stars with predictable routine. Stars orbit super massive black holes with the pomp and getup of the workday morning crowd carrying their briefcase. That’s their routine.

The seconds tick forward as the most complex cyclical ballet plays itself out every day on our doorstep. Every day in our being. Repetition touches every fabric of life and every atom birthed by the Big Bang.

Nothing routine about routine.
                  To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    It’s the method of the universe, bud…nay, the glorious meaning of life.

Planets orbit stars with predictable routine. Stars orbit super massive black holes with the pomp and getup of the workday morning crowd carrying their briefcase. That’s their routine.

The seconds tick forward as the most complex cyclical ballet plays itself out every day on our doorstep. Every day in our being. Repetition touches every fabric of life and every atom birthed by the Big Bang.

Nothing routine about routine.
                    I agree....although some folks have a penchant for living life on the low end of the routine scale. They either employ an amazing amount of variety, or they are able to find new and exciting ways to do "routine".

Then again, some folks love routine in their daily lives. It gives us structure, and purpose.

But when I first wrote this, it hit me just how much we humanoids are able to absorb repetition in our lives. We are surprisingly comfortable with it, and adept at getting used to it. And in my mind, one must be good at it to be successful...because we must befriend it at times.

On the other hand, there are limits. For example, some jobs are far too repetitive for many of us. And in my humble opinion, too much repetition can in some cases, stymie some of our natural creativity. But yes, repetition is part of our rhythm as a planet, and to some degree, most of us are quite ok with it.

BUT if I can be totally honest.....I am not sure I was ever too comfortable with getting up early 5 or more days of the week, only to fight rush hour traffic twice a day! Not a big fan! So lucky now....to get into those situations so much less!!
                    Last edited by CanDB; 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I agree....although some folks have a penchant for living life on the low end of the routine scale. They either employ an amazing amount of variety, or they are able to find new and exciting ways to do "routine".

Then again, some folks love routine in their daily lives. It gives us structure, and purpose.

But when I first wrote this, it hit me just how much we humanoids are able to absorb repetition in our lives. We are surprisingly comfortable with it, and adept at getting used to it. And in my mind, one must be good at it to be successful...because we must befriend it at times.

On the other hand, there are limits. For example, some jobs are far too repetitive for many of us. And in my humble opinion, too much repetition can in some cases, stymie some of our natural creativity. But yes, repetition is part of our rhythm as a planet, and to some degree, most of us are quite ok with it.

BUT if I can be totally honest.....I am not sure I was ever too comfortable with getting up early 5 or more days of the week, only to fight rush hour traffic twice a day! Not a big fan! So lucky now....to get into those situations so much less!!
                      That's certainly very true. Humans have a remarkable ability to completely dismiss the monotony of life's endless repetitions. Most of us anyway.

Chalk that up to survival instincts, I guess. Surviving the dreaded rush hour commute.
                      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat...
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                          I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat...
                          "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (over and over and over....)

I am not taking a "Shining" to that.

Comment

"all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (over and over and over....)

I am not taking a "Shining" to that.
                            Here's Johnny! Apologies for dragging this thread so far off topic :nono:
                            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                              Here's Johnny! Apologies for dragging this thread so far off topic :nono:
                              No apologies! We've been on topic for most of the posts. It is pretty "routine" for that to happen.....

Comment

Working...
                              X