Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Ten Most Miserable Cities

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top Ten Most Miserable Cities

    Taken from MSN:

    10. Chicago

    The Windy City flamed out in its bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics despite a last-minute plea from President Barack Obama. Bigger problems are the nation's highest sales tax rate (10.25%) and long commutes.

    9. Canton, Ohio

    The home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and President William McKinley has seen a net migration out of Canton in each of the past 15 years. Only 18% of the adult population has a college degree.

    8. Buffalo, N.Y.

    This Snowbelt city is still the second-largest in New York state, but the population has fallen more than 50% over the past half-century as the industrial base waned.

    7. St. Louis

    St. Louis is a baseball town, but what about those Rams? The NFL team has won only six games out of 48 the past three years, the fewest wins in football.

    6. Miami

    The weather and no state income tax are nice, but the city rates in the bottom 10% of areas when it comes to commute times, violent crime and corruption. Foreclosures hit 7.2% of homes in 2009, 10th-worst in the U.S.

    5. Flint, Mich.

    Flint is buying up houses and demolishing them in an effort to shrink the size of the city to a sustainable level. The area received $25 million in stimulus funds from the federal government to help with the plan.

    4. Detroit

    Thousands of homes in this ravaged city were available for less than $10,000 last year. After shrinking for six straight years (including 9% in 2009), Detroit's economy is actually expected to expand in 2010.

    3. Memphis, Tenn.

    Violent crime is second-worst in the country and public officials are getting locked up at an alarming rate. On a positive note, the city's sole pro sport franchise, the NBA's Grizzlies, is winning some games after losing 72% of the time the past three seasons.

    2. Stockton, Calif.

    Stockton relinquished the most-miserable-city crown to Cleveland this year, but the city still faces jarring unemployment and violent crime. Unemployment is expected to average 18.5% in the metro area this year.

    1. Cleveland

    Residents of the Mistake by the Lake endure brutal winters, high crime and a tortured sports history. They are voting with their feet as the net migration out of the metro area was 71,000 over the past five years. The city has lost over half its population since 1950.


    Well, I have something to be proud of at last. Cleveland is NUMBER ONE!!!
    Brock you like a hurricane!
    sigpic
    Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

  • #2
    Miserable? You want to try being in Dundee or Aberdeen in Scotland in the middle of winter. Horizontal rain, freezing your ass off under leaden grey skies, and it gets dark about 3pm.

    Scotland is lovely - but if you could only rip us off the map and re-position us just off Coronado Island in San Diego, then we'd be just about perfect.

    Anyone planning to visit Scotland would be well advised to pack a pair of thermal underpants and a warm wooly jumper....for summer. Pack ten pairs for visiting in winter.


    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
      Miserable? You want to try being in Dundee or Aberdeen in Scotland in the middle of winter. Horizontal rain, freezing your ass off under leaden grey skies, and it gets dark about 3pm.

      Scotland is lovely - but if you could only rip us off the map and re-position us just off Coronado Island in San Diego, then we'd be just about perfect.

      Anyone planning to visit Scotland would be well advised to pack a pair of thermal underpants and a warm wooly jumper....for summer. Pack ten pairs for visiting in winter.


      I'll be there in about 8 years. I'll buy you a pint!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
        Miserable? You want to try being in Dundee or Aberdeen in Scotland in the middle of winter. Horizontal rain, freezing your ass off under leaden grey skies, and it gets dark about 3pm.

        Scotland is lovely - but if you could only rip us off the map and re-position us just off Coronado Island in San Diego, then we'd be just about perfect.

        Anyone planning to visit Scotland would be well advised to pack a pair of thermal underpants and a warm wooly jumper....for summer. Pack ten pairs for visiting in winter.


        I was thinking the absolute same. Count yourselves lucky Americans.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
          I was thinking the absolute same. Count yourselves lucky Americans.
          Today is the first time in five weeks we've seen the sun. Minnisota wins the cold trophy hands down, but Cleveland is good at being gray without any features in the sky to tell the clouds apart.
          Brock you like a hurricane!
          sigpic
          Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fargo View Post
            Today is the first time in five weeks we've seen the sun. Minnisota wins the cold trophy hands down, but Cleveland is good at being gray without any features in the sky to tell the clouds apart.
            Minnesota? If you think they're cold, you've never lived in Big Piney, Wy.

            Comment


            • #7
              10. Erie

              9. Oakland

              8. The entire state of West Virginia

              7. Ottawa

              6. Rochester (sorry McS)

              5. Kansas City

              4. Erie again

              3. Cleveland

              2. Tuscon

              1. By a mile FRESNO, CA




              (my list is the best)
              I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
              I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
              I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
              "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
              God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
              Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                10. Erie

                9. Oakland

                8. The entire state of West Virginia

                7. Ottawa

                6. Rochester (sorry McS)

                5. Kansas City

                4. Erie again

                3. Cleveland

                2. Tuscon

                1. By a mile FRESNO, CA




                (my list is the best)
                cmon Andy......Canada is off limits.........





                (luckily)

                Comment


                • #9
                  I own a house in all of those cities.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    But...But... Cleveland has Brady Quinn... He's just so dreamy... How can they be miserable when he can just walk around without a shirt? hahaha
                    sigpic
                    Thanks Blondie79!
                    All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
                    Team Tebow #15

                    Adopted NFL Player:
                    "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brancos View Post
                      I own a house in all of those cities.

                      that pretty much explains it all...
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                      sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fargo View Post

                        Well, I have something to be proud of at last. Cleveland is NUMBER ONE!!!
                        What happened to the Flats Fargo ... I have been to a lot of cities and at one time that was by far one my favorite places in America (Cleveland still is)

                        Growing up that was the place to go...So much going on there...

                        The Odeon,Peabody's,The Circus,The BW'3,Richards Last Resort,@ the time The Nautica

                        I heard that it was dying out years back but I could not bring myself to believe it ... Until I went to the House of Blue over the summer..What a shame it is at one time I would have gladly told anyone and really still do tell people Cleveland Rocks ...

                        I liked the newish area around the House of Blues but walking around ... I thought I was in yuppie grand central station ... Its like they all came from Shaker Heights ...
                        Last edited by LarryDean; 02-21-2010, 04:54 AM.
                        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a friend from Laramie ...

                          Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                          Minnesota? If you think they're cold, you've never lived in Big Piney, Wy.
                          ... who had a t-shirt showing pine trees bent over with the caption, "Wyoming Wind Festival: Jan.1-Dec.31."

                          The tunnel connecting the dorms to the dining hall came in handy for my daughter when she attended WYO.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                            What happened to the Flats Fargo ... I have been to a lot of cities and at one time that was by far one my favorite places in America (Cleveland still is)

                            Growing up that was the place to go...So much going on there...

                            The Odeon,Peabody's,The Circus,The BW'3,Richards Last Resort,@ the time The Nautica

                            I heard that it was dying out years back but I could not bring myself to believe it ... Until I went to the House of Blue over the summer..What a shame it is at one time I would have gladly told anyone and really still do tell people Cleveland Rocks ...

                            I liked the newish area around the House of Blues but walking around ... I thought I was in yuppie grand central station ... Its like they all came from Shaker Heights ...
                            Well, Westlake and Rocky River is the place to be. Cleanest suburbs in the area with a ton of outdoor malls to blow fat stacks of cash.


                            To everybody else -- Cleveland has 84 suburbs for a reason. People are moving out of Cleveland and into the more prosperous cities surrounding. I've never seen a city with so many people living around it rather than in it.
                            Last edited by Fargo; 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM.
                            Brock you like a hurricane!
                            sigpic
                            Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                              Today is the first time in five weeks we've seen the sun. Minnisota wins the cold trophy hands down, but Cleveland is good at being gray without any features in the sky to tell the clouds apart.
                              What's the sun?



                              psssssst, it's not just the weather, our fine nation excells in other areas too

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X