Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Takin Risks Again

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm Takin Risks Again

    Some of you know me, for being more on the senior circuit, than the young dude's PGA tournaments of life shall we say. I am not young in years, but fortunately, still able to stay quite active...not only in sports, but in most facets.

    Recently while working at one of my part time jobs, I dropped off a car at downtown autobody shop, in a tougher part of the city. As I waited for a ride to get me, I looked across the street at a mission site, where the poor and misfortunate souls drop in for food and counselling and other lifestyle support. The folks coming and going are a combination of those who were victims of the fate they chose, victims of unfortunate fate, and those who are somewhere in between. As I stood there and observed, I thought about walking across the street and through that door, to get a better idea of what was going on inside. Some good news I hoped....maybe some things I'd rather not see. I also considered the fact that there was a time when I'd just cross the street and walk in, not worried about safety or environment or whatever. For example, I have played baseball games against some very hardened inmates (inside the prison), delivered hampers to some very "tenuous" locations, and generally participated in charity events that reached out to those of questionable agendas.

    Since I reached a certain age, I have chosen to take a safer route in life. I avoid risk, whether it be in my financials (which is a fairly wise thing to do if you want to have a decent retirement lifestyle) or in almost any endeavour. It's like, time to sit back and watch everyone else experience the full meaning of living.........while I cosy into a retirement mindset. This approach makes some sense, but does make one less alive in my opinion. Growing up left little choice but to try things and learn from the experience. I also had a bit of a wild side (just a bit), and therefore was open to various degrees of risk and reward. Okay, sometimes the risk didn't pay off, but at least one could move on knowing they tried.

    So..........from this day forward, until I truly reach retirement (many years from now), I am going to get a wee bit "crazy" again......not in a juvenile way, but in terms of smelling the coffee. It's not that I haven't enjoyed the last few years, but I am definitely accelerating the old age gas pedal by sitting back. Now, don't expect to see me "streaking" at the Olympics (especially on a cold mountain!!), or bungee jumping from the highest bridge in the world.....not at this stage of the game. But just know that among other things, next time I'm downtown and close to that mission site, expect me to walk into that building and say "hi" to folks...maybe even lend a hand.......like I used to. It's the least I should do.....

  • #2
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    So..........from this day forward, until I truly reach retirement (many years from now), I am going to get a wee bit "crazy" again......not in a juvenile way, but in terms of smelling the coffee....
    Just remember when returning to your wild side CanDB you don't have to smell everything to find out what it is ...

    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Some of you know me, for being more on the senior circuit, than the young dude's PGA tournaments of life shall we say. I am not young in years, but fortunately, still able to stay quite active...not only in sports, but in most facets.

      Recently while working at one of my part time jobs, I dropped off a car at downtown autobody shop, in a tougher part of the city. As I waited for a ride to get me, I looked across the street at a mission site, where the poor and misfortunate souls drop in for food and counselling and other lifestyle support. The folks coming and going are a combination of those who were victims of the fate they chose, victims of unfortunate fate, and those who are somewhere in between. As I stood there and observed, I thought about walking across the street and through that door, to get a better idea of what was going on inside. Some good news I hoped....maybe some things I'd rather not see. I also considered the fact that there was a time when I'd just cross the street and walk in, not worried about safety or environment or whatever. For example, I have played baseball games against some very hardened inmates (inside the prison), delivered hampers to some very "tenuous" locations, and generally participated in charity events that reached out to those of questionable agendas.

      Since I reached a certain age, I have chosen to take a safer route in life. I avoid risk, whether it be in my financials (which is a fairly wise thing to do if you want to have a decent retirement lifestyle) or in almost any endeavour. It's like, time to sit back and watch everyone else experience the full meaning of living.........while I cosy into a retirement mindset. This approach makes some sense, but does make one less alive in my opinion. Growing up left little choice but to try things and learn from the experience. I also had a bit of a wild side (just a bit), and therefore was open to various degrees of risk and reward. Okay, sometimes the risk didn't pay off, but at least one could move on knowing they tried.

      So..........from this day forward, until I truly reach retirement (many years from now), I am going to get a wee bit "crazy" again......not in a juvenile way, but in terms of smelling the coffee. It's not that I haven't enjoyed the last few years, but I am definitely accelerating the old age gas pedal by sitting back. Now, don't expect to see me "streaking" at the Olympics (especially on a cold mountain!!), or bungee jumping from the highest bridge in the world.....not at this stage of the game. But just know that among other things, next time I'm downtown and close to that mission site, expect me to walk into that building and say "hi" to folks...maybe even lend a hand.......like I used to. It's the least I should do.....
      I understand what you are saying.

      I'm generally pretty conservative on most things, and don't take pointless risks, and am not an adreniline junky.

      But, I do like to have my "Adventures". Whether it's going down that black diamond run that is outside of my skill level, or the occasional weekend solo trip on my motorcycle (I get a lot of questions on if it's "safe" or not from well meaning friends ), I do need a certain amount of adventure to keep from getting in a rut. Something to break the monotony, to give me a sense of exploration, and fun.

      I'd love to do a week or two trip across country on my motorcycle, but with a young family I wouldn't want to leave them for that long, so it will be awhile!

      Comment


      • #4
        You should try taking a stroll through Oakland in an Elway jersey.


        But seriously I get what youre saying. Im actually REALLY conservative in stuff I do. I barely take any risks. Dont do alot out of my normal stuff. I need to because Im getting really tired of the boringness of my life and my stupidity for not doing anything.
        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
          You should try taking a stroll through Oakland in an Elway jersey.


          But seriously I get what youre saying. Im actually REALLY conservative in stuff I do. I barely take any risks. Dont do alot out of my normal stuff. I need to because Im getting really tired of the boringness of my life and my stupidity for not doing anything.
          Get a motorcycle. Not a big cruiser, but a good, comfortable, all day motorcycle. Plenty-o-thrills for not much $$$

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
            Get a motorcycle. Not a big cruiser, but a good, comfortable, all day motorcycle. Plenty-o-thrills for not much $$$
            I really want a motorcycle actually. Dont have the money to buy one but when I do im definitely going to get one.
            LET 'ER BUCK!!!
            Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
              Just remember when returning to your wild side CanDB you don't have to smell everything to find out what it is ...
              I get you dude!!! right back

              Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
              I understand what you are saying.

              I'm generally pretty conservative on most things, and don't take pointless risks, and am not an adreniline junky.

              But, I do like to have my "Adventures". Whether it's going down that black diamond run that is outside of my skill level, or the occasional weekend solo trip on my motorcycle (I get a lot of questions on if it's "safe" or not from well meaning friends), I do need a certain amount of adventure to keep from getting in a rut. Something to break the monotony, to give me a sense of exploration, and fun.

              I'd love to do a week or two trip across country on my motorcycle, but with a young family I wouldn't want to leave them for that long, so it will be awhile!
              Powder...I get the impression that you have experienced a lot of things (by the way you converse), meaning you have taken your share of life's little risks.....

              Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
              You should try taking a stroll through Oakland in an Elway jersey.

              But seriously I get what youre saying. Im actually REALLY conservative in stuff I do. I barely take any risks. Dont do alot out of my normal stuff. I need to because Im getting really tired of the boringness of my life and my stupidity for not doing anything.
              The Oakland thing is not even a risk thing, moreso "craziness"

              Lots of time HD......just one small adventure at a time. Try something new...doesn't have to be wild and crazy. And although I had a ton of fun, I do not profess to have lived on the edge 24/7, at any point, although some folks thought I was in that zone for a while. If nothing else, I put a cool spin on what I was doing....maybe that was all I did! I think it also had to do with being a single jock until I was in my late 20s......my reputation back then was so much more interesting than the life I led.....




              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                Powder...I get the impression that you have experienced a lot of things (by the way you converse), meaning you have taken your share of life's little risks.....


                You should see the girl I got to marry me, a guy like me doesn't get a girl like that without taking some risks

                Comment


                • #9
                  You should wrestle a Bear.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                    You should see the girl I got to marry me, a guy like me doesn't get a girl like that without taking some risks
                    High risk....high reward!!!!!!

                    :thumb:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      You should wrestle a Bear.
                      And a gator.

                      ...

                      At the same time.
                      LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                      Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
                        And a gator.

                        ...

                        At the same time.
                        Interesting......someone ended an email today with me with "later gator"......

                        not sure what I am saying or implying.......just sayin........

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          the very best of intentions will never yield fruit...

                          ...action will

                          good luck...

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X