Fire and 911 call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire and 911 call

I am posting a link to a news site in OKC that has the call on tape - I happened to be channel surfing during half time last night and just caught the story as it started to air - they proceeded to give the story on how this family was trapped in the house and killed during this fire and how it was the worst in 20 yrs and then proceed to AIR the 911 tape of the mom in the house during the fire - now I will warn EVERYONE that the tape is very disturbing - basically you are listening to a woman as she dies with her husband and children - my point in posting this is to get everyones opinion -

I was appalled that they aired this - the FCC throws the lgst fine ever for showing a covered boob during the halftime of a football game but its OK to air a tape of a woman taking her last breath, choking and gagging and yelling for her kids?

Does anyone not agree - or am I way off in feeling this way - I had no idea what I was gonna hear when they aired this last night, the news channel I was watching did NOT give a disclaimer to get teh children out of the room or to leave the room if this may disturb you - I am giving everyone here a heads up - so if you dont wanna listen DONT - but please dont listen and then come back in here all pissy that I posted it - I WARNED you!!!!!!!!

http://www.newsok.com/#

and I dont know how long the link will go to the page that has this particular story on it since I assume the site changes on a failry reg basis to go along with the news and such

Thas f'ked up. I have a problem with that, and not just because Im a burn survivor. They shouldve warned you before they aired it that it would be disturbing..Dam!!!

Comment

what a sick and twisted country we live in where they air something like that for kids to see...if there isn't a huge fine for that then something is wrong...there's nothing wrong with seeing a boobie, but to here that shiet is disturbing.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
      Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
      Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
      Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Re: Fire and 911 call

Originally posted by orangenblue420
        I am posting a link to a news site in OKC that has the call on tape - I happened to be channel surfing during half time last night and just caught the story as it started to air - they proceeded to give the story on how this family was trapped in the house and killed during this fire and how it was the worst in 20 yrs and then proceed to AIR the 911 tape of the mom in the house during the fire - now I will warn EVERYONE that the tape is very disturbing - basically you are listening to a woman as she dies with her husband and children - my point in posting this is to get everyones opinion -

I was appalled that they aired this - the FCC throws the lgst fine ever for showing a covered boob during the halftime of a football game but its OK to air a tape of a woman taking her last breath, choking and gagging and yelling for her kids?

Does anyone not agree - or am I way off in feeling this way - I had no idea what I was gonna hear when they aired this last night, the news channel I was watching did NOT give a disclaimer to get teh children out of the room or to leave the room if this may disturb you - I am giving everyone here a heads up - so if you dont wanna listen DONT - but please dont listen and then come back in here all pissy that I posted it - I WARNED you!!!!!!!!

http://www.newsok.com/#

and I dont know how long the link will go to the page that has this particular story on it since I assume the site changes on a failry reg basis to go along with the news and such
        I did not listen, but I wanted to respond to your question about the FCC. They do not monitor every station in the nation. The SB thing was such a big audience that of course, someone would complain. My advice to you, if you really feel this strongly about it, is to call the station, and tell them you wish to compain about it, and see if you can talk to the news director or program director. Obviously, be firm, but polite. They will hang up if you are abusive. Write a letter to the general manager as well. All letters of that nature must be kept in a public file that is viewable, on demand, by any resident of the market, since the airwaves are considered 'public domain'.

Also, if you do wish to file a complaint with the FCC, go here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Make sure you have the call letters of the station, the date and time on which you saw or heard the material that offended you, and a description of it.

This may or may not fall under "editorial discretion" since this was a news broadcast, not an an entertainment broadcast. News generally gets larger leeway than non-news, depending on the situation and the content. Nudity is ALWAYS a no-no on broadcast TV, but something like this is in a gray area. If you have a tape or transcript of the program, or 911 tape, that is also good.

I can't promise that the FCC will do anything, given that it IS a news boradcast, but there are your avenues. They will only investigate if a citizen files a complaint.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Re: Fire and 911 call

Originally posted by Jared
          I did not listen, but I wanted to respond to your question about the FCC. They do not monitor every station in the nation. The SB thing was such a big audience that of course, someone would complain. My advice to you, if you really feel this strongly about it, is to call the station, and tell them you wish to compain about it, and see if you can talk to the news director or program director. Obviously, be firm, but polite. They will hang up if you are abusive. Write a letter to the general manager as well. All letters of that nature must be kept in a public file that is viewable, on demand, by any resident of the market, since the airwaves are considered 'public domain'.

Also, if you do wish to file a complaint with the FCC, go here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Make sure you have the call letters of the station, the date and time on which you saw or heard the material that offended you, and a description of it.

This may or may not fall under "editorial discretion" since this was a news broadcast, not an an entertainment broadcast. News generally gets larger leeway than non-news, depending on the situation and the content. Nudity is ALWAYS a no-no on broadcast TV, but something like this is in a gray area. If you have a tape or transcript of the program, or 911 tape, that is also good.

I can't promise that the FCC will do anything, given that it IS a news boradcast, but there are your avenues. They will only investigate if a citizen files a complaint.
          Thanks Jared - I am not sure which station I was watching though, since I was channel surfing and not paying much attention - and I went online to all the local Tulsa stations sites this mornin and none of them had anything about it - the link I used is a station in OKC that doesnt air hear - would I be able to just report the fact that the call is being aired in general or do I need to be more specific -

PS - Anyone listen to the call yet? Just wondering

Comment

After listening to the tape, I don't hear anything disturbing. She coughs, and then they cut back to the TV anchor. Unless they have archived something different than what aired.
            I think the 911 dispatcher perhaps was too concerned with following his training and trying to sound calm, but I don't think there would have been anything he could have done, since it seems like the family was trapped in the home.

See my above post for info if you feel like complaining, Heather. As a local resident, its your right to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
              After listening to the tape, I don't hear anything disturbing. She coughs, and then they cut back to the TV anchor. Unless they have archived something different than what aired.
              I think the 911 dispatcher perhaps was too concerned with following his training and trying to sound calm, but I don't think there would have been anything he could have done, since it seems like the family was trapped in the home.

See my above post for info if you feel like complaining, Heather. As a local resident, its your right to do so.
              Well they may have edited the version I linked - the one last night continued on for a bit after she was coughin - could have been a mistake on the part of the station airing it not to cut it off before it got to be too much - I just find it disturbing in general though to be listening to a person I know is taking their last breath while suffocating and buring in a fire with their family - I think I would rather explain what a pastey is to my 12 year old than what he was listening to in that call -

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fire and 911 call

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                Thanks Jared - I am not sure which station I was watching though, since I was channel surfing and not paying much attention - and I went online to all the local Tulsa stations sites this mornin and none of them had anything about it - the link I used is a station in OKC that doesnt air hear - would I be able to just report the fact that the call is being aired in general or do I need to be more specific -

PS - Anyone listen to the call yet? Just wondering
                Well, do you know what affiliate (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, UPN) it was? Or what anchors? That would help with the call letters.

And certainly the fact that the call aired is what specifically is bothering you, but explain WHY. (It was offensive to you? Children were watching? It was unnecessary to the story? Be as specific as you want). Also, it never hurts to write to your local U.S. rep and Senator.

Comment

Working...
                X