Wealth or Peace of Mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wealth or Peace of Mind?

This will be a poll, but I am more interested in hearing from you than the poll itself.

Years ago at a management seminar, we were asked to rate ourselves in terms of a range of criteria. One area of the ratings had to do with personality type. And because this was aimed at middle manager / director types, the potential "right answer" was that you were driven by things like achievement / money / promotion, etc. At the conclusion, you ended up fitting into four quadrants (did I lose you yet??), with the highest score as the dominant quadrant. Anyway, my overall scores placed me in a category that was geared more towards "peace of mind", with another couple of quadrants (the right answer categories) a little behind. In a way it made me feel a little weird, given that these so called management leaders were typically placing themselves in the more assertive (even aggressive) categories. Believe me, because the others didn't know me that well at the time, I could have responded as if I was on the accelerated career path list.

Long story short, if I had my way, I'd go for the "peace of mind" thing most of the time. Wealth and all those other goodies take care of themselves, for me anyway, when I sleep good. Maybe it's in my DNA to be a worrier or a dude that likes to keep things in some form of control, but I do know when I can't sleep as well, life isn't that sweet. Then again, who likes losing sleep....

So, for me, having peace of mind usually translates to being okay in all important aspects of my life. In fact, things seem way too easy when I am in that zone.

I have narrowed this to 2 poll options only.......I could have made it 10 or more, but my purpose is to isolate just these two, just for the fun of it....

BTW......I hope you do have peace of mind, at the very least....
    Reasonable Wealth
    50.00%
    Peace of Mind
    50.00%
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM.

Peace of mind would be a wonderful thing. As a chronic worrier I'd take peace of mind over wealth any day of the week. I think in life all that really matters to me is that I can be happy. Having nice stuff makes you happy for a few days. But being able to enjoy life is what it's all about to me.

I don't need the nicest house or the nicest car. I just want people around me that love and care for me. I'd love to be happy. To feel life is what I've always wanted it to be. And for me that's never really been about money.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
      Peace of mind would be a wonderful thing. As a chronic worrier I'd take peace of mind over wealth any day of the week. I think in life all that really matters to me is that I can be happy. Having nice stuff makes you happy for a few days. But being able to enjoy life is what it's all about to me.

I don't need the nicest house or the nicest car. I just want people around me that love and care for me. I'd love to be happy. To feel life is what I've always wanted it to be. And for me that's never really been about money.
      we are similar dudes Jake.....

Comment

All the money in the world isn't worth peace of mind.

There are some situations that you just can't escape from, that you can't buy your way out of. There area a lot of situations that turn everything you care about upside down and leave you without nothing too.

To not go through those situations, or at least to find the silver lining is worth any price. Money doesn't buy success, happiness, love, friends, or even satisfaction. I hate Coorporate America, and I'm not afraid to say it either.

It's all about making money, improving efficiency to make more of it. The CEOs who ask those questions to see who chooses business or gratification sometimes don't realize the Hell a 1% profit margin can do to the employees at the bottom. Making managers over work their employees so that they QUIT the company rather than firing them is a great strategy. Firing your best employees for their high salaries is great too, since they're the ones putting effort to get that far along. What does money do for us?

I know I'm taking an extreme stance on this, but I'd be lying if I said anything less than how I feel.

No, I'll take peace of mind. By all means.
        Last edited by Fargo; 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM.
        Brock you like a hurricane!
        sigpic
        Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

As the Roman poet Horace said, ...

... "Cura pecuniam crescentem sequitur." Anxiety follows increasing wealth.

And, Seneca the philosopher "Sola virtus praestat gaudium perpetuum securum." Only virtue furnishes joy that is perpetual and secure.

That one causes thought and discussion of what constitutes virtue.

Horace again, "Vilius argentum est auro, virtutibus aurum." Silver is worth less than gold, gold less than virtue.

Seneca again, "Nulla copia pecuniae avarum virum satiat." No amount of money satisfies a greedy man.
          Last edited by samparnell; 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

This debate can go for days. I would say the wealth and here's why If I can provide for my family then I have no worries.

Right now my job could get cut and Ill have nothing at this point so ill worry about my family and not have peace of mind that Ill lose my house.

If there is money then I can just focus on family.

Not being greedy I just want my family to have their needs met and not lose our home.

Now if peace of mind includes me keeping my job then I'm all for peace of mind over money any day of the week.

If I won the lottery I'd take a week off then go right back to work because I truly do love what I do.
            sigpic
            The Bronco fan pledge;
            I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
            I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
            I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
            I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
            Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
              All the money in the world isn't worth peace of mind.

There are some situations that you just can't escape from, that you can't buy your way out of. There area a lot of situations that turn everything you care about upside down and leave you without nothing too.

To not go through those situations, or at least to find the silver lining is worth any price. Money doesn't buy success, happiness, love, friends, or even satisfaction. I hate Coorporate America, and I'm not afraid to say it either.

It's all about making money, improving efficiency to make more of it. The CEOs who ask those questions to see who chooses business or gratification sometimes don't realize the Hell a 1% profit margin can do to the employees at the bottom. Making managers over work their employees so that they QUIT the company rather than firing them is a great strategy. Firing your best employees for their high salaries is great too, since they're the ones putting effort to get that far along. What does money do for us?

I know I'm taking an extreme stance on this, but I'd be lying if I said anything less than how I feel.

No, I'll take peace of mind. By all means.
              I hear ya bud....

Comment

peace of mind,i'm at a point in my life where i don't need a tremendous amount of money really,hardly well off but i can do alright without having to make that much,certainly money can provide some peace of mind,however in my business i have worked in the homes of some very wealthy people(including Pat Bowlens(damn name dropper)) and more often than not they are too concerned with maintaining their wealth to really enjoy it,and quite a few spend very little time in those huge mansions because they are constantly working to pay for them.and most of them seem very tense,and it can sometimes be very difficult to get your money from these people,i have noticed over the years wealthy people seem to drag their feet getting you paid,poorer people (who can relate to your need to get paid)generally pay right away,and in cash.
                I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  ... "Cura pecuniam crescentem sequitur." Anxiety follows increasing wealth.

And, Seneca the philosopher "Sola virtus praestat gaudium perpetuum securum." Only virtue furnishes joy that is perpetual and secure.

That one causes thought and discussion of what constitutes virtue.

Horace again, "Vilius argentum est auro, virtutibus aurum." Silver is worth less than gold, gold less than virtue.

Seneca again, "Nulla copia pecuniae avarum virum satiat." No amount of money satisfies a greedy man.
                  So sayeth the Educator!!!

Nice effort Sam......

Comment

Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
                    This debate can go for days. I would say the wealth and here's why If I can provide for my family then I have no worries.

Right now my job could get cut and Ill have nothing at this point so ill worry about my family and not have peace of mind that Ill lose my house.

If there is money then I can just focus on family.

Not being greedy I just want my family to have their needs met and not lose our home.

Now if peace of mind includes me keeping my job then I'm all for peace of mind over money any day of the week.

If I won the lottery I'd take a week off then go right back to work because I truly do love what I do.
                    Hey bud.....from my perspective, peace of mind tends to mean everything is in order....not necessarily that I am rich, but that I have a good sense of all important aspects of my life. This may mean different things at different times......for example, when I was young and had a mortgage, I had peace of mind knowing that I had reasonable payments that did not suffocate me. When I got older, I (we actually) was fortunate to pay off the house, but that didn't come without a lot of years and a lot of payments.

So it's all relative. But for me, money doesn't buy happiness. If I bought a new car today, I wouldn't feel much different tomorrow, in terms of the impact of that purchase. On the other hand, if I know my wife and kids are doing all right, I sleep pretty good, and we have sufficient resources to let us enjoy a moderate lifestyle, and my worries are of the small variety, and I am fortunate to have exciting interests (ie. Broncos).....well, life is pretty good.

Comment

I had to go with Reasonable Wealth

Peace of Mind don't know if your rich or poor and won't ask you for permission when it completely turns your life upside down ...
                      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                        As a chronic worrier
                        ^^^ THIS ^^^ is my wife. She is so bad sometimes I get very annoyed by it and could not properly explain the level of worry she has.

I pretty much live with peace of mind. I'm pretty carefree and find joy in many ways.

So for me? SHOW ME THE MONEY!
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I'm going with wealth.

As a college student, I feel like there is no WAY to have a piece of mind. I'm always worrying and stressing on a daily occurrence.

I'm stressing about that exam coming up.

I'm stressing about having to prep work for clinicals.

I'm stressing AT clinicals.

I'm stressing AFTER that exam, because another one is waiting around the corner.

-------------------

And then there are the other sides of life that don't involve school that stress me out. General stressors like work, paying rent, living with roommates.

I feel like if I had general wealth (although I'm striving for that with my education), I WOULD have a piece of mind.
                          Last edited by Peerless; 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I'm just going to let my friend Calvin here do the talking.

A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              I'm going with wealth.

As a college student, I feel like there is no WAY to have a piece of mind. I'm always worrying and stressing on a daily occurrence.

I'm stressing about that exam coming up.

I'm stressing about having to prep work for clinicals.

I'm stressing AT clinicals.

I'm stressing AFTER that exam, because another one is waiting around the corner.

-------------------

And then there are the other sides of life that don't involve school that stress me out. General stressors like work, paying rent, living with roommates.

I feel like if I had general wealth (although I'm striving for that with my education), I WOULD have a piece of mind.
                              Don't worry (peace of mind), you'll be wealthy in more than one way Brent....

Comment

Working...
                              X