Anyone good with computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with computers?

Well we have a family computer. Today when I turned it on, the display settings were changed, blue background, 0 BYTES available on the hard drive, and almost everything in My Music, My Pictures, and My Documents is erased. I'm pretty sure someone, downloaded something and now we have either a virus or malware. I started it up in Safe Mode to run the Disk Cleaner to get some space.

Does anyone else know what I can do? I have spybot and AVG installed, should I run them in safe mode also?

Originally posted by D_Broncs_913 View Post
    Does anyone else know what I can do? I have spybot and AVG installed, should I run them in safe mode also?
    Yes, run both of those in safe mode.

Comment

if you can, do a system restore to about 2 weeks ago.

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb842062.aspx download this suite (if you are able) run root kit revealer from command prompt.
        Last edited by darth-hideous; 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM.
        I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
          Yes, run both of those in safe mode.
          ...and make sure they're updated. Run in "Safe Mode with Networking" and you can still connect to the internet using a cable and then do the updates.

Additionally, I'd download SuperAntiSpyware (free version) at www.superantispyware.com, update it and run a complete scan of your hard drive(s).

I'm a bit concerned about the 0 MB of free space on the C: drive. I'm assuming space wasn't an issue before so I'd be curious to know what filled it up. I'd suggest checking "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and see if there are any applications in there that you don't need anymore and remove them.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

ok i reviewed my course and do not i repeat do not run rootkit revealer from command prompt for a user mode rootkit.
            Last edited by darth-hideous; 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM.
            I really like Cheese.

Comment

Forget about Spybot. Use Malwarebytes instead. Its better and more up to date. You can also try Superantispyware

Comment

Originally posted by bahn View Post
                Forget about Spybot. Use Malwarebytes instead. Its better and more up to date. You can also try Superantispyware
                Malwarebytes is pretty solid, so is SuperAntiSpyware. I still rely on Spybot and its TeaTimer function, though.

I'd also recommend posting a HijackThis! log on Bleeping Computer.
                Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                sigpic

Comment

i don't have any anti virus programs at all... i've just never needed it...

when i need it and start experiencing some stuff happenin, i will def get malwarebytes since i've heard good things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                    i don't have any anti virus programs at all... i've just never needed it...

when i need it and start experiencing some stuff happenin, i will def get malwarebytes since i've heard good things about it.
                    To be safe, get Malwarebytes and an antivirus program like Kaspersky,avira, or Nod32

Comment

Working...
                    X