Stop Studying Rats...As If We're The Same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Studying Rats...As If We're The Same

Another day, another study on rats being reported. Seems like every other day I read about another test that seemingly proves that we are the same as rats, therefore whatever happens to the rats in the study will happen to us........humans that is.

Okay, it's true, there are some people on this planet that are best described as "rats", because they are low lifes, etc. Maybe they should be the ones being tested????

But cmon, we are different in my humble opinion. For one thing, how many humans do you know that like to hang out in sewers and filthy places......okay, lets leave the Raiders out of this........they may actually qualify! I digress (as usual).

What gives here? Are there ads in the rat newspapers for lab jobs? Does a rat have to graduate with a Science degree, with a lab major, to get hired. And do the job ads read as follows:

Must have a lab degree from an established, "above ground" University

Must have experience/training in human behaviour simulation

Must be open to performing the stupidest of tests

Must perform these tests naturally......faking an outcome could lead to misleading human results, meaning no more lab jobs for us

Must be willing to pretend to enjoy eating any of the foods provided....to motivate us!!

Must be a "RISK TAKER" (warning: some of the tests could cause minor illness, including death)

I don't know about you, but if someone says a certain medicine worked on rats, does that mean I want to be the first to take it. Maybe it will give me a sudden desire to dive into a big pile of sewage. Maybe I'll want to hang out at the garbage dump in my spare time. "Hey, look at me, I'm better now" as I rip open another garbage bag that my wife is throwing away.

Just sayin.........

:wave:

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post

eb....if you are waving at a "rat" right now, I'd be kinda hurt.......

the following is a gesture that friends reply with...

Comment

Brown rats are often used as model organisms for scientific research. Since the publication of the Rat Genome Sequence, and other advances such as the creation of a rat SNP chip, and the production of knockout rats, the laboratory rat has become a useful genetic tool, although not as popular as mice. When it comes to conducting tests related to intelligence, learning, and drug abuse, rats are a popular choice due to their high intelligence, ingenuity, aggressiveness, and adaptability. Their psychology, in many ways, seems to be similar to humans. Entirely new breeds or "lines" of brown rats like the Wistar rat have been bred for use in laboratories. Much of the genome of Rattus norvegicus has been sequenced.
        Basically, Rats and humans are somewhat similar genetically, and psychologically. Id rather see first if a new drug caused some harmful side effects in a rat, rather than in human subjects. Not that humans wont get tested in the process, just not the first step.
        sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
        SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
          Basically, Rats and humans are somewhat similar genetically, and psychologically. Id rather see first if a new drug caused some harmful side effects in a rat, rather than in human subjects. Not that humans wont get tested in the process, just not the first step.
          Stop that!!! You're taking the fun out if it......

(I do appreciate the benefits of the rat taking the first drink.......they should get extra goodies for being the RISK TAKERS!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Stop that!!! You're taking the fun out if it......

(I do appreciate the benefits of the rat taking the first drink.......they should get extra goodies for being the RISK TAKERS!!!)
            Ah, right. Well, I propose we test on Bears, since they are indeed the greatest threat to America.

sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
              Ah, right. Well, I propose we test on Bears, since they are indeed the greatest threat to America.

You don't mean the Chicago Bears do you???? They too have "rat like" qualities......

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about replying to ROD in the smack section

Comment

FTR........this thread was in fun.......just to make sure you know that. (Although I did hear 2 rats complaining over a beer about some test they were executing at the University)
                  Last edited by CanDB; 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

eb....if you are waving at a "rat" right now, I'd be kinda hurt.......

the following is a gesture that friends reply with...

Are you calling yourself a "rat"??

Comment

You don't mean the Chicago Bears do you???? They too have "rat like" qualities......
                      I think more of the raiders since their owner looks like master splinter
                      sigpic

Team Tebow #267

Comment

Are you calling yourself a "rat"??
                        what???????cmon eb, what kind of question......

btw........where's the closest sewer around here anyway.

Comment

what???????cmon eb, what kind of question......

btw........where's the closest sewer around here anyway.
                          Found your pic.....

Comment

Found your pic.....

cmon eb........it was a bad hair day.......

Comment

cmon eb........it was a bad hair day.......
                              Who loves ya??? :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X