No announcement yet.

Officials: Passenger tried to ignite shoe on United Airlines flight to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officials: Passenger tried to ignite shoe on United Airlines flight to Denver

link

(CNN) -- Federal authorities say a disturbance aboard a United Airlines flight from Washington to Denver, Colorado, Wednesday night occurred when a passenger apparently tried to set a shoe on fire.

Law enforcement officials met the plane on the ground in Denver and there were no reports of injuries.

Were you on the flight? Share your story.

"The situation is under control. The flight is on the ground," a federal law enforcement official said.
    ummm, if this is out of DCA, I take this flight every thursday.
    "I don't know what was harder -- that [Phillies lineup] or the AL All-Star team lineup," - Dan Haren 7/28/2009

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

I better its out of IAD, I take that flight a lot because dulles and denver are United Hubs. What the hell?
    sigpic

Champ Bailey in 2005
    30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlueCrew View Post
      I better its out of IAD, I take that flight a lot because dulles and denver are United Hubs. What the hell?
      Yeah, they have a ton of flights between the two, plus the DCA flight gets in around 7, so the timing is a bit off.

But the DCA flight tends to be filled with all sorts of "people" (senators and the like) due to its close proximity to the capitol buildings. Getting to IAD from downtown can take over an hour during certain hours.
      "I don't know what was harder -- that [Phillies lineup] or the AL All-Star team lineup," - Dan Haren 7/28/2009

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

I've always felt safe flying into denver except for that flight. A lot of 757's flying for about 3 and a half hours. The 757's scare me cause there is just that one isle, a lot of fuel. I guess its just bad luck if that goes down. And if it does, I'm doing everything in my power to take those dudes down.
        sigpic

Champ Bailey in 2005

Comment

Worst part is, I would just suck down some cheap wine to calm my nerves, but I cant cuz I have a doctors apt at 9am on friday

I'll just have to enjoy my upgrade double on Sunday.

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by pacoEagle View Post
            Worst part is, I would just suck down some cheap wine to calm my nerves, but I cant cuz I have a doctors apt at 9am on friday

I'll just have to enjoy my upgrade double on Sunday.
            Haha man, mad respect to you for traveling a lot. I fly maybe 5 times a year, and always have to go Greenville, SC to DC to Denver and it takes a lot outta me. Good for you for being a warrior.
            sigpic

Champ Bailey in 2005

Comment

Me and my mom seen a news van just a bit south of DIA on our way home tonight and was wondering what it was, then a big ole police looking vehicle went speeding past us in the direction of the airport, five minutes later we found out what it was... that's crazy stuff though
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

That IS my flight (except on Wed instead of Thurs)

I think I'm going to be punchy tonight on my way home.

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by pacoEagle View Post
                  That IS my flight (except on Wed instead of Thurs)

I think I'm going to be punchy tonight on my way home.
                  Be careful.

Don't they screen shoes? Why would we need to take them off otherwise? Only time I've felt self-conscious about my orange socks. At Oakland airport. Wearing a Broncos shirt.
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

The guy made a wise crack about lighting his shoe after smoking in the bathroom. It would appear he did so out of arrogance born from his diplomatic immunity.

Regardless, what did he light it with and how did he get it on the plane? Lighters and matches are prohibited items. I am curious to know why TSA always catches the Swiss Army knife I forget to take off my keychain but seems to have missed the lighter.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you have to take your shoes off and put them through the xray, so I dont know how a shoe bomb could make it through anymore.

Also, the story turns out it was some diplomat from Qatar:
                      A passenger with diplomatic credentials of Qatar was detained Wednesday night after a disturbance aboard a United Airlines flight en route to Denver, Colorado, federal authorities said.
                      Initial reports were that the incident involved an attempt to set a shoe on fire, but there were later indications that the situation may have resulted from a misunderstanding involving smoking during the flight.
                      The passenger was in a lavatory and may have been smoking, a U.S. official said. He also may have made an "unfortunate comment" referring to a shoe bomb when questioned on the plane, the official said.
                      Ok:
                      1) I know you have diplomatic immunity, but you know better to respect the rules and customs of the host country. Unless you are the bad guy from lethal weapon 2. In this case smoking on a plane.
                      2) If you are a Muslim on a plane, don't even say "bomb" or "shoe bomb".

I'm setting the over\under on air marshals on my flight at 4.5. This is probably why I haven't received my upgrade yet.

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                        The guy made a wise crack about lighting his shoe after smoking in the bathroom. It would appear he did so out of arrogance born from his diplomatic immunity.

Regardless, what did he light it with and how did he get it on the plane? Lighters and matches are prohibited items. I am curious to know why TSA always catches the Swiss Army knife I forget to take off my keychain but seems to have missed the lighter.
                        I get my lighter past security all the time. It's rather easy.

It's also rather ridiculous that they have smoking areas in some airports past the security check point. If everyone was denied lighters and matches, how on earth is everyone smoking in these areas?

When I heard this story this morning, I was a tad upset about the guy smoking in the plane bathroom but no charges are going to be filed. If it were you or me, we would have been hauled off to jail.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

You should wear clown shoes on your flight and see if TSA notices.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                            Lighters are technically prohibited. If you put it in your bag, they MIGHT take it cuz it contains a (combustable) liquid. But, put it in your pocket, and the metal detectors will never pick it up. (little bic lighters, not zippos)

Matches, they dont care about matches. I am an occasional smoker (coincides with stress levels), and often I had matches in the cellophane of my cigarette pack, which was in my backpack. No problems.

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                              I get my lighter past security all the time. It's rather easy.

It's also rather ridiculous that they have smoking areas in some airports past the security check point. If everyone was denied lighters and matches, how on earth is everyone smoking in these areas?

When I heard this story this morning, I was a tad upset about the guy smoking in the plane bathroom but no charges are going to be filed. If it were you or me, we would have been hauled off to jail.
                              Hell, you give a FA enough lip, and you'll get hauled off a plane these days.

RIP JJ 07/29/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X