This One's For The Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This One's For The Parents

I am far from young........my dear Father passed away several years ago after living a long and happy life; Mom's in a care home, now very late in life and sadly, not as aware as she was the day before.

They lived through tough times and good times, and did their best.

My sister, brother and I could tell many stories about what we didn't like about the way we were raised, but now that we no longer really have either parent to talk to, it's clear that our upbringing was just fine. We had food, shelter, clothing, education and love. That's about all you need really. Sure there were bumps in the road, but so what.

For those who haven't had it so good, I am truly sorry. For the rest, please make sure you understand a good thing when you have it. These people we call parents are just regular folks, who are doing their best, given the situations, setbacks, aspirations, and hopes and dreams that they carry with them through all the years. Many of them, especially the parents of my generation, faced world wars, a devastating depression and a life that required much hard work often for little reward. Most of them were happy with the little things in life. And most of them, like parents after them, wanted their kids to have a better life.

Our kids are pretty grown up now, and I believe we did a decent job raising them. To be sure, I can safely say that that my wife is an incredible parent, so my kids were blessed to a fairly high degree. I won't rate myself, but lets just say they could have done worse on the father side.

But it hasn't always been easy. What's easy is to pick out our parents' flaws, and what they should have done and so on. It's easy, until you take on the role yourself, in spite of all the good intentions........without question, a responsibility of a lifetime.

This one's for the parents........
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-09-2010, 08:49 PM.

I do not care what the rest of you say I have the best Mom of all time!:salute!:
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
      I do not care what the rest of you say I have the best Mom of all time!:salute!:
      Nope. Sorry South, my mom just can't be beat. At the very least they are in a tie for first
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
        Nope. Sorry South, my mom just can't be beat. At the very least they are in a tie for first
        Sounds fair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        My dad on the other hand is worthless.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          Sounds fair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          My dad on the other hand is worthless.
          Haha couldn't agree more if you were speaking about my dad
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
            Haha couldn't agree more if you were speaking about my dad
            Sounds like we have a lot in common.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              I am far from young........my dear Father passed away several years ago after living a long and happy life; Mom's in a care home, now very late in life and sadly, not as aware as she was the day before.

They lived through tough times and good times, and did their best.

My sister, brother and I could tell many stories about what we didn't like about the way we were raised, but now that we no longer really have either parent to talk to, it's clear that our upbringing was just fine. We had food, shelter, clothing, education and love. That's about all you need really. Sure there were bumps in the road, but so what.

For those who haven't had it so good, I am truly sorry. For the rest, please make sure you understand a good thing when you have it. These people we call parents are just regular folks, who are doing their best, given the situations, setbacks, aspirations, and hopes and dreams that they carry with them through all the years. Many of them, especially the parents of my generation, faced world wars, a devastating depression and a life that required much hard work often for little reward. Most of them were happy with the little things in life. And most of them, like parents after them, wanted their kids to have a better life.

Our kids are pretty grown up now, and I believe we did a decent job raising them. To be sure, I can safely say that that my wife is an incredible parent, so my kids were blessed to a fairly high degree. I won't rate myself, but lets just say they could have done worse on the father side.

But it hasn't always been easy. What's easy is to pick out our parents' flaws, and what they should have done and so on. It's easy, until you take on the role yourself, in spite of all the good intentions........without question, a responsibility of a lifetime.

This one's for the parents........
              What a DAMN good post, especially the bold.

Comment

After nearly losing one and being brought back to light by the other, I have enormous appreciation for both parents. I can't say it enough, I'm grateful for them.
                Brock you like a hurricane!
                sigpic
                Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Im no parent, hell I'm only 18 but this post really touched me. Cps to you CanDB.

Comment

Working...
                  X