"Cheers" Everyone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cheers" Everyone.....

I have been thinking a lot about this forum, and how I have enjoyed it so much, and yet been a little "careful" when it comes to the belief that many friendships occur via electronic means. I have posted thoughts along the line that folks need to be a little critical about believing that this is absolutely the real world (unless they already have made acquaintenances with some of the folks before). These were more meant to be words of advice to those, especially the younger ones, who I feel can get too removed from the face to face world, and all the goods things that need to be experienced "hands on", not just relative to the "fingertips" (mind you, ignore this message if you are in the midst of rock climbing....where fingertips are very, very important!!!).

I want this to be a positive message, therefore I will shy away from all the points of concern I have raised before...they can take a seat to the back today. It's been a good ride here for me over the last couple of years. For so many good folks to have even bothered to take the time to read through my often lengthy, frequently "who cares" ideas, concepts, positions and so on, I am thankful. And for my money, this is an "inviting" place to visit. It lets people get away to a place that provides information exchange and discussion, entertainment, some laughs, and opportunities for friendship, among other things. And for what it's worth, it can be legitimately called a hang out, pad, info center, editorial section, community club, and whatever you personally make of it.......because the door is always open (okay, there are exceptions if you have taken a bite out of that forbidden fruit - there are a few rules) and there's always someone inside who will say hello if nothing else.

And for me, one who has spent a fair share of time here, and who has been provided an enormous amount of freedom to speak and be heard, and even be rewarded for same, it would be hypocritical to not appreciate the warmth and what could be described as a genuine caring / respectful environment that underpins this forum. In fact, it would be completely inappropriate.

On the other hand, if I want to punish myself for being a touch on the cautious side, and need a wake up call of sorts, I can (and will) take my chances in the GD underworld, where the dark side creatures dwell, and no one is entitled to a friendly day..... (you know I'm kidding......I still like to take a regular stroll down the GD path.....voice of reason does prevail there).

I will end this with a brief thought, and some lyrics that appeal to me. People like a place to go that is welcoming. These are some words from an old but positively remembered show...the similarities are clear:

Making your way in the world today
    Takes everything you've got;
    Taking a break from all your worries
    Sure would help a lot.
    Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go
    Where everybody knows your name,
    And they're always glad you came;
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM.

Can I be Sam?

Great write up Dave, you're a great voice around here and I'm glad, as I'm sure every one else is, that you feel confortable here. It's great to hear from guys like you who have experienced so much in life. All of us young guys could learn a thing or two from you.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Cheers Can!

LOL I'm SO Norm.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Cheers Can!

LOL I'm SO Norm.
        Yes, yes you are.
        sigpic

Comment

Always good to hear your thoughts. Don't think for a moment they aren't read!
          Brock you like a hurricane!
          sigpic
          Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
            Look Jake! Its Frasier!
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
              Can I be Sam?

Great write up Dave, you're a great voice around here and I'm glad, as I'm sure every one else is, that you feel confortable here. It's great to hear from guys like you who have experienced so much in life. All of us young guys could learn a thing or two from you.
              What I am learning is that I need to listen to the young folks more.......you become the norm, the standard and what's relevant. Some of our advice is useful, but some of it is dated.

Cheers Can!

LOL I'm SO Norm.
              NAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWM!!!

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
              Thx bud.......you see, the thoughtfulness of your words are the strength of this forum...

Comment

Look Jake! Its Frasier!
                LOL, What a loser Frasier is.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for this Can! I enjoy very much the things you have to say. You've inspired me to come out of my shell on this board.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

How appropriate those lyrics really are here, Can.

When I hear them, I've long since forgotten their meaning, and only hear the "Cheers" theme song.

Except nobody's glad I came. Call me Cliff.

Comment

Nice Can! Wait what are we talking about?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post

When I hear them, I've long since forgotten their meaning, and only hear the "Cheers" theme song.

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Excellent write up, and great choice of lyrics that appeal to you.

A pick-up line that almost appealed to this dime I met last weekend was:

There's a party at your ankles. Why not invite your pants down?

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                            Thanks for this Can! I enjoy very much the things you have to say. You've inspired me to come out of my shell on this board.
                            If I've done any of that, my time has been well spent here.....thx for those kind words.

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post

Hey Cliff..........
                            :salute!:

Originally posted by Broncbeat View Post
                            Nice Can! Wait what are we talking about?
                            I forget.....

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                            Excellent write up, and great choice of lyrics that appeal to you.

A pick-up line that almost appealed to this dime I met last weekend was:

There's a party at your ankles. Why not invite your pants down?
                            That is some pick up line......If we did a poll, I think the slaps in the face would win......

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              That is some pick up line......If we did a poll, I think the slaps in the face would win......
                              I was lucky there. No slap on this beaut of a face... just a funny laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X