Time Is On Our Side......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Is On Our Side......

It's interesting to me how we often feel like time is moving too fast or slow, given that time is likely the most consistent, reliable and well-defined entity we are aware of. It plods along, second by second, minute by minute, precisely and with a sense of normal......as normal as anything can truly be (unless of course your power goes out or your battery dies, causing you to miss an important meeting!!!). Which leads me to the premise behind this message......time is a constant, whereas our perceptions and feelings towards it, are what gives it a different life of its own, albeit one that really does not exist.

Usually when we have a time "issue", it's because we feel it is moving too fast. It's often the case when we are late for something, or (like in a job situation) expectations were inaccurate and possibly unreasonable. In sports, it's when we are behind, and time is running out (again, we set the parameters of this so called running out problem). It also happens when we are deep into something, like posting here, and without realizing it, an hour or two just flew by. In any of these cases, it had nothing to do with time itself. But it does feel like time becomes animated to some degree, as we glance towards it believing it has sped up a bit since the last glance. In some cases, suddenly it just leaped ahead!!!

Conversely time appears to slow down. Sometimes it's when we are looking forward to something (think NFL draft!), or when we are performing a boring duty of some kind, or when we are stooped in a proverbial rut. Or in sports, when we are ahead and hanging on to the lead. Those experiences can become agonizing, and we can really take it out on our friendly timepiece.....all for the wrong reason(s). As you well know, the seconds are still ticking in their precise way, but it's those other elements that are the real instigator of our fate. It could be that the work day is too long, or the tasks are too repetitive, or we are just not good at waiting, or in some unfortunate cases, we struggle with situations that need to be resolved, but not soon enough (like missing someone special).

So...... as you well know, it has nothing to do with time itself. It's just how we perceive it, relative to situations or events that give it a whole new meaning, and a theoretical capacity it just doesn't have, that of variability. And in the true sense of consistency and reliability, and for providing us this amazing product (maybe even service) - TIME, like anything else that meets such noble standards, should be appreciated for what it is, and for what it does for us.

Therefore, next time you look down to your watch, or pass by a clock of some kind, why not give it a wink or a friendly nod.......to signify your respect. After all, Time is on our side.......

.......but don't ever forget, time is what you make of it.

How's that song start?- "TiiIIIiiIIIiiIime... is on my side... yes it is......"
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      loved it!!!

Comment

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
        You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
        Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
        Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.
        You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
        And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
        No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
        Racing around to come up behind you again.
        The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
        Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
        Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
        Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
        The time is gone, the song is over,
        Thought I'd something more to say.
        HEAR ME ROAR!
        sigpic
        Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
          Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
          Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
          You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
          Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
          Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.
          You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
          And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
          No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
          Racing around to come up behind you again.
          The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
          Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
          Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
          The time is gone, the song is over,
          Thought I'd something more to say.
          Ironically, I heard both of these songs in the past hour.

Creepy.
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Hmm... I'd rather use the theories that General and Special relativity have about time to my advantage, rather than assume that time is a constant

Gravitational time dilation. It has been confirmed. READ ABOUT IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              Hmm... I'd rather use the theories that General and Special relativity have about time to my advantage, rather than assume that time is a constant

Gravitational time dilation. It has been confirmed. READ ABOUT IT.
              Don't have the time...........

Comment

The strange thing about time is that it has it's own way to influence our day. It can pass quickly or it can pass slowly.

As Dave has pointed out, it never changes, it's our percecption or realization of how it passes is the key.

Some minutes seem to last for ever, while other minutes seem to be gone before they were ever here.

Years/Months/Days are easy to track, but sometime it's the little minutes or seconds that can mean a whole difference.

Time For Me To Fly

sigpic

Comment

Heh, last 4th of July seems like it was yesterday... Walking on the field at Invesco...

Next thursday when I get my new phone seems like years away... Time, You are weird, my friend.

sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Working...
                  X