Teams - Lasting Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams - Lasting Bond

I miss all those great teams I was on. Mostly sports, but sometimes beyond that arena. I love teams that bond. I am amazed how much more you can accomplish when people know how to get a job done, as a unit. I am even more dazzled by the way individuals go that extra mile in support of their mates, like throwing that one last block, or diving in front of a terrifying slap shot, or making that key pass when a shot may have made them the hero.

It doesn't necessarily start out like that. There's a feeling out period, and there may be a few arguments along the way......but in the end, these are typically the things that must happen to get the rules of engagement sorted out. But gradually, sometimes dramatically, a team evolves that you will never forget. That's why the same old comments seem to be made by championship team members......about the perseverence and resilience of their mates, and how they overcame adversity and issues, and never gave up. Sounds repetitious, but if you've been on those teams, you know exactly what they are saying. The bond is as strong as steel. The memories will be forever.

Yes I've been on a few teams like that. Mostly sports. I believe sports brings out some of the fiercest loyalty that we can muster. Sports has the capacity to raise one another's game with the speed and scope of an intense wave. It is almost too hard to describe the tightness that a true team develops internally. Then again, I am also very proud to have experienced some outstanding teams outside of sports. It's incredibly special in the workplace, to be on a project for example, when people focus on the success of the group rather the personal accolades and promotional opportunities. Funny thing, those benefits are more likely to be derived if you create a strong team environment. I've witnessed where a high % of individuals (coming from a strong group setting) moved on to better things in rapid order, primarily because of the success they had as a unit.

In the end it leaves you with some wonderful memories, and when I happen to bump into some of these folks from those magical teams long ago in my life, the connection is still there. It's like we were on that team just a few days ago. Genuine friendship is like that. The bond is still strong. The relationship is solid. The first reaction is a smile.....
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM.

I remember good and bad situations with respective teams. One of them I found out wasn't a team, but me myself. That didn't end well and one of the team members got expelled. The year before, it was a team of two with the third member getting expelled... Expelled as in from the high school for some drug violations.

The year before, it was all three members and we made the top 10 in a Home and Garden Show home design contest. Same goes for the year before that.

The years where everything worked out, that was fun for me. We did a lot with what we had, and it was rewarding to be recognized at the end of it all.

"Team work makes the dream work." I've loved that motto, though I love to have a team that has my back too. I assume that comes along more frequently with more mature peers though.
    Last edited by Fargo; 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM.
    Brock you like a hurricane!
    sigpic
    Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

i do not miss being on my high school golf team one bit.

they were all stuck up a-holes. they already were anyway because i lived in a small town and unless you were rich and had a "name" you were no one.

but i DO miss the free golf
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
        I remember good and bad situations with respective teams. One of them I found out wasn't a team, but me myself. That didn't end well and one of the team members got expelled. The year before, it was a team of two with the third member getting expelled... Expelled as in from the high school for some drug violations.

The year before, it was all three members and we made the top 10 in a Home and Garden Show home design contest. Same goes for the year before that.

The years where everything worked out, that was fun for me. We did a lot with what we had, and it was rewarding to be recognized at the end of it all.

"Team work makes the dream work." I've loved that motto, though I love to have a team that has my back too. I assume that comes along more frequently with more mature peers though.
        Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
        i do not miss being on my high school golf team one bit.

they were all stuck up a-holes. they already were anyway because i lived in a small town and unless you were rich and had a "name" you were no one.

but i DO miss the free golf
        I believe you are both fairly young, so your best teams are likely yet to come. When you find yourself on "that team", enjoy every minute, because someday after you'll miss what you had. The good news is that you were part of "that team", and you will be linked in a very positve way for the rest of your life.

Comment

A TEAM is not a TEAM... if you don't give a damn about one another.

Comment

I was on ...

... the coaching staff of a HS football team that went undefeated during the 1998 season (lost in the quarters to the eventual state champs).

Those guys played some amazing games; gut-check games where it was total teamwork just to eke out a win.

They won a road game 200 miles away in which the HC and OL coach were suspended. All the home team needed to do to win in the fourth quarter was score a TD. They had the ball 1st & 10 inside the +20 four times and failed to score on our D. I was doing stats so I was able to be even with the LOS on the sideline outside the coaches' box. The hitting and team effort were unbelievable. The intensity was expressed by a team attitude of you will not score.

That team sent one player to DIA (Stanford), one to DIAA (Dartmouth) and a bunch of guys to DII schools to play football. Other guys stayed in ABQ to attend UNM pursuing degrees in engineering, medicine, teaching, etc.

An amazing group. Most of them graduated in 2000 so their ten-year reunion is this Summer. I hope to see them.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Bond, Lasting Bond.
              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                ... the coaching staff of a HS football team that went undefeated during the 1998 season (lost in the quarters to the eventual state champs).

Those guys played some amazing games; gut-check games where it was total teamwork just to eke out a win.

They won a road game 200 miles away in which the HC and OL coach were suspended. All the home team needed to do to win in the fourth quarter was score a TD. They had the ball 1st & 10 inside the +20 four times and failed to score on our D. I was doing stats so I was able to be even with the LOS on the sideline outside the coaches' box. The hitting and team effort were unbelievable. The intensity was expressed by a team attitude of you will not score.

That team sent one player to DIA (Stanford), one to DIAA (Dartmouth) and a bunch of guys to DII schools to play football. Other guys stayed in ABQ to attend UNM pursuing degrees in engineering, medicine, teaching, etc.

An amazing group. Most of them graduated in 2000 so their ten-year reunion is this Summer. I hope to see them.
                Sounds like you experienced the best of what a team can provide. They were not a D, they defined themselves as a "wall".......that's the amazing result of a group who believe in one another.....

Nice story Sam!

Comment

Working...
                X