Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Maps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google Maps

    I'm planning a road trip and I want to use google maps to set waypoints and then list the directions.

    I'm not good with google maps. I usually just look on the map and find my own way. This is a complex route that I'm not familiar with though.

    If anyone here has used waypoints and can tell me how to use them on google maps I'd be grateful.

    Be specific please, "I have never used google maps" beyond just looking to see the location of something and then finding my own way there. I don't know how to use the tools, so if this involves menus or icons, I need to know where to find them and which ones they are.

    Thanks to anyone that can help.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Tarquin View Post
    I'm planning a road trip and I want to use google maps to set waypoints and then list the directions.

    I'm not good with google maps. I usually just look on the map and find my own way. This is a complex route that I'm not familiar with though.

    If anyone here has used waypoints and can tell me how to use them on google maps I'd be grateful.

    Be specific please, "I have never used google maps" beyond just looking to see the location of something and then finding my own way there. I don't know how to use the tools, so if this involves menus or icons, I need to know where to find them and which ones they are.

    Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Okay, enter your starting and ending addresses.

    Then I usually just click and hold on the highlighted line (your route) and then drag it to whatever point you want.

    Example:

    I want to drive from Denver to Minneapolis with stops in Rapid City, SD and Bismark, ND.

    I put in the starting and ending towns, then click, hold, and drag the line to Rapid City, SD and then click,hold, drag the line to Bismark, ND.

    If you need more specific directions than just a town, I haven't ever bothered with that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
      Okay, enter your starting and ending addresses.

      Then I usually just click and hold on the highlighted line (your route) and then drag it to whatever point you want.
      Seriously? This sets the waypoints? That's it?

      I'll be back in a moment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Actually, playing with it, you click on "get directions"

        Enter your start point next to "A"

        Enter first destination next to "B" (using my example from above, it'd be Rapid City, SD)

        Click below on "add destination"

        Enter 2nd destination next to "C"(again from above, Bismarck, ND)

        Click below on "add destination"

        Enter 3rd destination next to "D" (from above, Minneapolis)

        Now, say you decide for some reason you want to visit Minneapolis 3rd and Bismarck last, all you need to do is click, hold and drag "C" down below "D" and it will automatically re-arrange.

        Then just click Get Directions.

        You can also enter exact street addresses.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tarquin View Post
          Seriously? This sets the waypoints? That's it?

          I'll be back in a moment.
          yeah, brother, it's super user friendly. Just play with it.

          You can even zoom in on MOST (not all) exact addresses and view it from street level (including 360 degree view) so you know what the neighborhood looks like.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not working, Jet.

            Maybe because the route I want to run is a giant loop?

            Comment


            • #7
              Okay, I got it. You just have to go a little bit at a time.

              It'd be a lot simpler if they just gave a waypoint option, but whatever.

              Thank you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tarquin View Post
                Okay, I got it. You just have to go a little bit at a time.

                It'd be a lot simpler if they just gave a waypoint option, but whatever.

                Thank you.
                lol! You need directions home?

                I thought it was pretty simple to begin with. You sure you just don't have an allergy to google?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hooray!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    LOL ... I once used a map.
                    sigpic
                    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's actually still a pain in the ass to use in that it appears to think it's a little too smart for its own good. I think I'll stick to pen and paper.

                      Maybe they'll improve it soon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tarquin View Post
                        It's actually still a pain in the ass to use in that it appears to think it's a little too smart for its own good. I think I'll stick to pen and paper.

                        Maybe they'll improve it soon.
                        Dude... I've used Google maps on so many road trips, I don't even consider NOT using it, although I have always have a map as a backup.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So I take it you're one of those poor souls that confound themselves with the mysteries of such objects as cellphones and email?
                          Brock you like a hurricane!
                          sigpic
                          Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                            Dude... I've used Google maps on so many road trips, I don't even consider NOT using it, although I have always have a map as a backup.
                            Don't throw your back out strutin' around or anything.

                            I can't get it to let me start a second leg of the trip. I think it might be because it doesn't consider a pedestrian trail a viable road, but my motorcycle disagrees.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                              So I take it you're one of those poor souls that confound themselves with the mysteries of such objects as cellphones and email?
                              I got it workin' well enough to speed dial your sister.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X