No announcement yet.

Is 1080p really worth the extra dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 1080p really worth the extra dough?

OK, so I'm looking at getting a 42-50" plasma television. I'm not getting an LCD TV so let's just pretend they don't exist for the sake of this thread for now.

It is my opinion, and the opinion of a lot of "experts" who's articles on the subject I have checked out, that when purchasing a TV under 50", your eye is incapable of noticing the difference between the two native resolutions unless you are less than 4' from the set. Also, gaming consoles, HD broadcasts, regular DVDs etc are all under 720p or 1080i and therefore a 1080p set is not fully utilized unless watching BluRay or select other scources.

Another thing, and a very important one is cost. Because of the consumer bias toward the higher number of 1080p and the assumption that it is always better, 720p sets are EXTREMELY cheap comparatively.

For instance, a 42" plasma with 720p is about 40% less than one with 1080p but otherwise similar numbers. So if the 1080p set is $1000 the 720p set would only be $600 bucks!

I would hate to think I spent $400 more for something I'm not even going to really notice.....

So people, if you have any experience with this whatsoever, or any insight, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    sigpic

Honestly, for me, after a while I got used to how the set looks so the "WOW" factor kinda goes away.

Until you put a nice looking Blu-Ray in, then it comes back some.

Once you get used to it, it does lack that initial punch.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

We actually have all three, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Our 1080p is an LCD, the 720p is an LCD, and the 1080i is plasma. Our plasma 1080i, although it's the oldest, is still king in my household.

Comment

Why not get an LCD, just out of curiosity?

When I bought my LCD, I didn't notice that crazy of a difference between the two in terms of resolution. So I would definitely get the best possible if you're already going to drop a grand or whatever. Also, I would get that crazy extended warranty they sell at best buy or whatever. These TVs break A LOT and often times it's just out of warranty when it does, so you're SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post

When I bought my LCD, I didn't notice that crazy of a difference between the two in terms of resolution. So I would definitely get the best possible if you're already going to drop a grand or whatever. Also, I would get that crazy extended warranty they sell at best buy or whatever. These TVs break A LOT and often times it's just out of warranty when it does, so you're SOL.
          I would agree with this statement, although we've never had a TV stop working. It's only usually another $50 or so, and it's well worth saving a headache.

Comment

Honestly I can barely tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 unless you are watching a blue ray disc.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
              Honestly I can barely tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 unless you are watching a blue ray disc.
              What size TV are we talking? I can tell a difference on bigger TV's.

Comment

If the TV is under 40", don't even think about spending extra for 1080p. Absolutely no point. But you said you wanted something bigger so....

TV is broadcast ed in 720p or 1080i (usually 720p) so you won't really be able to tell a difference unless you are playing a Blu-Ray or PS3.

That said, if you get the 50" guy, you might want to think about getting the 1080p. The bigger the TV, the farther away you can be and be able to tell a noticeable difference between 720 and 1080. But then the point goes back to how much actual 1080p are you going to watch.

1080p is more of an investment at this point than practical as the 720 is. If you want to be set for when broadcasts become upgraded (who knows when), 1080p might be right for you.

Comment

I got my 46" LCD Samsung in Feb 2009 for $1800 after tax. I am super happy i spent the extra money to get it. My TV is a 46" Samsung 700 series. It is 1080P 120 Hz.

I bought it the same time my room mate bought his 46" 500 series Samsung. His is 1080P but 60 Hz. And you definately can tell the difference in the TVs whether it is cable, video games, or Blu-Ray.

I would say spend as much as you can afford on your TV. You dont want to regret spending a couple extra hundred dollars when you watch your TV everyday.
                  Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBounca View Post
                    We actually have all three, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Our 1080p is an LCD, the 720p is an LCD, and the 1080i is plasma. Our plasma 1080i, although it's the oldest, is still king in my household.
                    I bought a 42" Enhanced Definition (420p) Plasma off a guy on CL about 5 years ago for $250. He bought it brand new in 2001. Up until last year when I moved back to Colorado, that set worked great! IMO it looked just as good or better than the entry level HD LCDs. Unfortunately it was broken in the move, otherwise I would probably still have it. Every time I look at a Plasma set next to LCDs in the same price range, there is absolutely no comparison. Even when the native res may be higher on the LCD set.

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
                    Bang for the buck plain and simple. In the size and price range I'm looking at, the LCDs cant seem to match the more noticeable (for me anyways) features of Plasmas. Mainly contrast ratio and refresh rate. Most of the better non LED LCDs have a 240hz refresh rate and contrast ratios of around 1:1,000,000 at best. But those sets are nearly 30-40% more expensive than the Plasmas with 1:2,000,000 and 600hz refresh rate but same resolution. You can get the LEDLCD's with similar and better contrast ratios but those are like $3k and spending that much on a TV is just not something I'm ever gunna do. LCDs under $2k IMO always look juttery and bleached out with less vibrant colors than Plasmas. I don't care if they say the human eye can't tell the difference after 240hz, cause I can absolutely tell when, say, I'm doing my favorite activity (watching Broncos Football) on the TV.

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                    If the TV is under 40", don't even think about spending extra for 1080p. Absolutely no point. But you said you wanted something bigger so....

TV is broadcast ed in 720p or 1080i (usually 720p) so you won't really be able to tell a difference unless you are playing a Blu-Ray or PS3.

That said, if you get the 50" guy, you might want to think about getting the 1080p. The bigger the TV, the farther away you can be and be able to tell a noticeable difference between 720 and 1080. But then the point goes back to how much actual 1080p are you going to watch.

1080p is more of an investment at this point than practical as the 720 is. If you want to be set for when broadcasts become upgraded (who knows when), 1080p might be right for you.
                    I think we are settling on a 42" for size of our room, entertainment center etc. That in mind, I think after everyones input, the 720p is going to suit us just fine. 1080p wont be available on cable etc. until they make major infrastructure upgrades to allow for the increased bandwidth 1080p requires, and by the time that happens, regardless of what TV I buy, it will be tragically out of date anyhow. I just don't see the 1080p ultimately being worth the extra $400-$500 in the TV's I'm looking at.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
                    sigpic

Comment

What's your price range for TVs? You should do some shopping online. There's a site that updates every day with online sales and stuff. I found my 1080p LCD TV for 400 dollars. Its only 32 inches but is still damn nice. www.cheapstingybargains.com They have everything you could dream of and always have links to good deals on the site. You should check it out and see if you find what you're looking for.

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/2...zon-gift-card/

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/2...2-hdmi-cables/

Second link comes with the TV, Blu-Ray player, and HDMI cables. Not a bad deal at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                        I got my 46" LCD Samsung in Feb 2009 for $1800 after tax. I am super happy i spent the extra money to get it. My TV is a 46" Samsung 700 series. It is 1080P 120 Hz.

I bought it the same time my room mate bought his 46" 500 series Samsung. His is 1080P but 60 Hz. And you definately can tell the difference in the TVs whether it is cable, video games, or Blu-Ray.

I would say spend as much as you can afford on your TV. You dont want to regret spending a couple extra hundred dollars when you watch your TV everyday.
                        This is why I refuse to buy an LCD TV.

More than likely, the noticeable difference you are experiencing is in the Refresh rate. The Plasma that I'm looking at (a 42") has a refresh rate of 600hz, a far cry better than any LCD TV, and only costs $600. When I look at TVs side by side when theyre up on the wall at say Best buy, the thing I notice the MOST is juttery, blurred pans and action shots. This is far more noticeable to me than 720p vs 1080p. The difference between 60hz and 120hz is like night and day. The difference between 120hz and 600hz to me is just as noticeable.

This is also why I'm kinda bummed CRT HD TV's never really took off. You cant beat the colors, brightness, and smooth images of a CRT HD tv. Even a plasma lacks in comparison IMO. I just don't want to own a TV that weighs 500lbs
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cahill View Post
                          What's your price range for TVs? You should do some shopping online. There's a site that updates every day with online sales and stuff. I found my 1080p LCD TV for 400 dollars. Its only 32 inches but is still damn nice. www.cheapstingybargains.com They have everything you could dream of and always have links to good deals on the site. You should check it out and see if you find what you're looking for.

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/2...zon-gift-card/

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/2...2-hdmi-cables/

Second link comes with the TV, Blu-Ray player, and HDMI cables. Not a bad deal at all.
                          I'd like to spend as little as possible really, lol. My Fiancee doesn't really see the need, but I'm sick of watching football playing the PS3 on our 15 year old bubble screen So the less the money, the easier the sell on the little lady

I think I've narrowed it down to this TV

I've found it locally and on the internet anywhere from $599-$700. I think it will do just nicely. I just have to go see it in the store with a picture on it and compare it side by side to be sure. Panisonic makes the best Plasma sets for sure, so I think I found the winner.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                            OK, so I'm looking at getting a 42-50" plasma television. I'm not getting an LCD TV so let's just pretend they don't exist for the sake of this thread for now.

It is my opinion, and the opinion of a lot of "experts" who's articles on the subject I have checked out, that when purchasing a TV under 50", your eye is incapable of noticing the difference between the two native resolutions unless you are less than 4' from the set. Also, gaming consoles, HD broadcasts, regular DVDs etc are all under 720p or 1080i and therefore a 1080p set is not fully utilized unless watching BluRay or select other scources.

Another thing, and a very important one is cost. Because of the consumer bias toward the higher number of 1080p and the assumption that it is always better, 720p sets are EXTREMELY cheap comparatively.

For instance, a 42" plasma with 720p is about 40% less than one with 1080p but otherwise similar numbers. So if the 1080p set is $1000 the 720p set would only be $600 bucks!

I would hate to think I spent $400 more for something I'm not even going to really notice.....

So people, if you have any experience with this whatsoever, or any insight, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
                            If the difference in price is near half go for the cheaper (1080i) tv. I have a Samsung 42" plasma that is 1080i, it's 5 years old, 60hz and it still looks every bit as good as the newer 1080p 120hz models.

Comment

i have a 46" plasma panasonic viera. I think plasma's look better than LCDs, especially when you're watching darker things. I also don't agree with the guys who said not to buy the extended warranty. I bought the 5 year extension and it just saved me about $600. (like literally JUST, my TVs power supply got burnt out last week) Fortunately a third party is servicing circuit city's warranties.

About the resolutions though, I can only tell when I'm looking for it.

1440p will be out by 1st quarter next year anyway.

Just get the TV that's going to look the nicest in your house for the price you want. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X