Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux (Lucid Lynx)

Hellooooo. Here with another techy question. Sorry

I have Windows Vista (it's garbage). Since I'm a student, I also have the option to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for $64.95 with a student discount.

My question is whether I should go for W7 Pro (I know, it's a great buy), or go for Ubuntu Linux 10.04?

I know that it will really come down to personal preference, but if Ubuntu is stable, fast and secure, then I'll save my $65 and go for that.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, other than it's highly compatible with most hardware and pretty quick. I tried it once, but that was a while ago.

I don't want to do a dual-boot either. I want to clean install either W7 Pro or Ubuntu Linux.

Any help/information would be great. I know I can just google this, but I rather get info from people I trust on these forums

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

It really depends on what you'll be using it for?

I'm running XP 64bit SP3x on this computer, Ubuntu on another and my two laptops both run XP too. On my personal server, I'm running Debian.

Like you said, Vista is garbage and while Win 7 is better, it's still crap in my book.

Obviously, you'll not want to install Ubuntu for gaming purposes, but aside from that and coupled with OpenOffice, it's a great choice.

If you're gaming, go with Windows. I don't care how fancy Win 7 looks though and how many updates it's gotten, it's still awfully slow. Ten years in and XP and Win NT 5.2 remain the best MS OS' yet.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Except they just stopped supporting XP which means no more updates if some crazy virus comes out. OK don't use ubuntu for your only computer. Honestly. If you don't know what you're doing it can be a pain. Use 7 until you know for sure and I mean for sure you know how to use ubuntu. also ................ make sure you have at least 2 gigs of ram for 7 THANKS.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
        Except they just stopped supporting XP which means no more updates if some crazy virus comes out. OK don't use ubuntu for your only computer. Honestly. If you don't know what you're doing it can be a pain. Use 7 until you know for sure and I mean for sure you know how to use ubuntu. also ................ make sure you have at least 2 gigs of ram for 7 THANKS.
        Yeah my computer has 3 GB ram, core 2 duo processor. I think it should be able to run Windows 7 32 bit without problems......i hope

Is Ubuntu really a pain? I thought simplicity was what it was all about. I guess I was wrong.

sigpic

Comment

I'd get the Windows 7. It's much better than Vista, and I think it's really good. I had Kubuntu, and it was also nice, but there were just too many things that were beyond my technical ability. Like, it couldn't recognize my wifi card and I couldn't get a driver. And certain sound things were not working right (every problem had to do with a hardware compatibility issue).

Windows 7 is streamlined and fast. It's more like Linux than any previous version.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
            It really depends on what you'll be using it for?

I'm running XP 64bit SP3x on this computer, Ubuntu on another and my two laptops both run XP too. On my personal server, I'm running Debian.

Like you said, Vista is garbage and while Win 7 is better, it's still crap in my book.

Obviously, you'll not want to install Ubuntu for gaming purposes, but aside from that and coupled with OpenOffice, it's a great choice.

If you're gaming, go with Windows. I don't care how fancy Win 7 looks though and how many updates it's gotten, it's still awfully slow. Ten years in and XP and Win NT 5.2 remain the best MS OS' yet.
            Wow! You're one of the very few that aren't happy with W7. I have W7 Pro, and I like it much, much more than XP. It's much smoother running, and I've never had a problem running it on a Celeron 2.0, with 2GB's of RAM.

That said, if you're a college student, stay away from OpenOffice. It doesn't have citations, which is a huge part in college writing assignments. I tried getting away from Windows, but Linux seemed so dated.

Comment

Ubuntu is nice to play with and say "oh look at me, I'm cool and hip and using an open source OS!".

But when its time to get stuff done and not have to engineer workarounds on everything, just use windows.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBounca View Post
                Wow! You're one of the very few that aren't happy with W7. I have W7 Pro, and I like it much, much more than XP. It's much smoother running, and I've never had a problem running it on a Celeron 2.0, with 2GB's of RAM.

That said, if you're a college student, stay away from OpenOffice. It doesn't have citations, which is a huge part in college writing assignments. I tried getting away from Windows, but Linux seemed so dated.
                I'm just old fashioned that way.

As for Ubuntu, it's easy to set up and unless you're new to computers, it's a piece of cake to set up. Anyway, try it. It's free.
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                  I'm just old fashioned that way.

As for Ubuntu, it's easy to set up and unless you're new to computers, it's a piece of cake to set up. Anyway, try it. It's free.
                  I already have, and it was quickly replaced with Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBounca View Post
                    I already have, and it was quickly replaced with Windows.
                    Oh.. it was for the OP though.
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                      Hellooooo. Here with another techy question. Sorry

I have Windows Vista (it's garbage). Since I'm a student, I also have the option to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for $64.95 with a student discount.

My question is whether I should go for W7 Pro (I know, it's a great buy), or go for Ubuntu Linux 10.04?

I know that it will really come down to personal preference, but if Ubuntu is stable, fast and secure, then I'll save my $65 and go for that.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, other than it's highly compatible with most hardware and pretty quick. I tried it once, but that was a while ago.

I don't want to do a dual-boot either. I want to clean install either W7 Pro or Ubuntu Linux.

Any help/information would be great. I know I can just google this, but I rather get info from people I trust on these forums
                      here is an idea since you are a student inquire of your computer department if you are eligible for an MSDN subscription, and get Windows 7 (and other software) for free.
                      I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                        here is an idea since you are a student inquire of your computer department if you are eligible for an MSDN subscription, and get Windows 7 (and other software) for free.
                        You caught my attention. What is this MSDN subscription which you speak of? Ooooooo that would be AWESOME if I could get Windows 7 for free!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                          You caught my attention. What is this MSDN subscription which you speak of? Ooooooo that would be AWESOME if I could get Windows 7 for free!!!
                          PM answered
                          I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                            Unless you download the service pack, they still support XP with the latest Service pack, there are too many companies, and schools using XP still for them not to offer support
                            I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                              Unless you download the service pack, they still support XP with the latest Service pack, there are too many companies, and schools using XP still for them not to offer support
                              Correct! Microsoft has stated they will support XP through 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X