Clear All

• Difference between then and than

any explanation?

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
    any explanation?
    Then: A reference to time.

Than: A reference of comparison.

"She was shorter back then." - Time.

"She is shorter than I am." - Comparison.

PS: Aren't you in college?

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      Then: A reference to time.

Than: A reference of comparison.

"She was shorter back then." - Time.

"She is shorter than I am." - Comparison.

PS: Aren't you in college?
      lol yeah but grammer was always my least favorite subject

thank you!

Comment

And Then I said, its bigger than the both of us... then he said... if its so big, then why don't you marry it?

he's dumber than me... then we decided he was smarter than me... then i decided to stop typing because this is dumb.

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
        lol yeah but grammer was always my least favorite subject

thank you!

grammar!

and also, i need to start refreshing if i'm going to open these threads and leave em for 20 minutes before i post

i have seen you use the wrong then/than a few times

i guess if i called u on it u woulda learned.

there is something that i don't get grammar-wise.. but i forgot what it was

oh yeah, affect and effect
        Last edited by 12and4; 10-19-2010, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post

yea i need to learn this as well, besides that i think i have the rest of the basic stuff

Comment

Affect: To cause to happen or to take an action.
            Effect: The result of something.

"I affected my opposition by moving my queen to threaten his pawn." - Caused.

"The long rain affected my night's sleep." - Caused.

"I soaked in the tub and the effect was that my skin got really wrinkly." - The result.

"I washed my car but didn't roll up the windows and the effect was detrimental to my interior." - The result.

Affect: To act upon.
            Effect: The result of something.

Comment

It scares me that you two made it through high school.

smh

Comment

Lol, don't worry about those. My Literature professor doesn't know the the difference between these two. Makes me wonder about her qualifications...........
                sigpic

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way and I'm not calling anybody out (I'm certainly no roads scholar) but proper grammar seems to be a lost art these days, especially on the internet. More and more on message boards you see improper spelling, punctuation, and use of words. I realize it's only the internet and grammar isn't necessary to survival, but what's the problem? Do the school systems not emphasize language arts anymore? Do people just not care? If I remember correctly I knew the difference between than and then by the time I finished 4th grade at least. Ok more like 6th grade but still. Like I said I'm not trying to call you out (Sparky), I'm certainly not any more educated than anybody else (probably less). I'm just curious. Maybe Alastor can shed some light.
                  Last edited by Biggregb; 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                    It scares me that you two made it through high school.

smh
                    What does "smh" stand for? Been seeing it alot around here. :paper:

summoning magic hamster?
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

[QUOTE=Sparky The Sun Devil;3469709]lol yeah but grammer was always my least favorite subject

thank you![/QUOTE]

Spelling too?

(sorry couldn't resist it's grammar)
                      I really like Cheese.

Comment

To paraphrase Creed Bratton....

"Its a made up word used to trick students."

:thumb:
                        A book I wrote

Comment

My "intellectual" brother in law and I had this discussion over the weekend. We are both in agreement that something went wrong a number of years ago.......hiring University grads who could not articulate via written communication. They were smart, but many of them lacked the basics, and in the business world, you need to be able to present your information in proper English, with the right format, and with a thought out "flow".

I often made the case that we should put on courses at work to teach managers how to write simple business cases......one pagers. It's not that hard to understand, but then again, we still would have a lot of grammar issues afterwards.

I am not sure if things will get worse with the way of the world, all the short cuts in communication, and worst of all scenarios, the education system does not rebound. I am not qualified to even compare the Canadian vs the American systems (and other countries), but I hear that our Canadian programs may be a bit better, maybe in specific locations. Not sure. (I'm sure Alastor will have some views on all of this.)

So for me, it started at least a few decades back, and may even slide a bit with the new forms of interaction.....where the rules become more lax. NOT SURE.

I have similar views on what was once called "arithmetic".....make that mathematics. Definitely concerned about the changes there.

However, I do believe the younger folks are more adept at a number of things....obviously computers. If used properly, and with some of those basics referred to, they can be amazingly resourceful!!
                          Last edited by CanDB; 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Now that i have been a smart-ass about your spelling, check out these reference guides i usually have one handy when writing my essays.
                            http://www.barcharts.com/Inventory/N.../9781572225312
                            I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggregb View Post
                              Do the school systems not emphasize language arts anymore? Do people just not care? If I remember correctly I knew the difference between than and then by the time I finished 4th grade at least. Ok more like 6th grade but still. Like I said I'm not trying to call you out (Sparky), I'm certainly not any more educated than anybody else (probably less). I'm just curious. Maybe Alastor can shed some light.
                              It ain't the schools. We harp on this all the time. Students don't care. In the last class I taught, we spent at least 5 classes on "how to write an analytical essay."

I taught Social Studies that semester... To ninth graders... It was an honors class...

I had to teach them that though. Not because they hadn't been taught before, but because they didn't care - and they were going to flunk my class without it. So I had to teach them again.

They'd been taught at least 5 times before, however. Minimum.

Comment

Working...
                              X