Thinking about buying Jeep Grand Cherokee...need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying Jeep Grand Cherokee...need some advice

So I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra (which gets me where I want to go), but it's getting older and things are starting to go. I've come to the conclusion that I feel like I should buy a used 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (my dream vehicle) since I was a kid.

Now this will be the first time that I will buy a vehicle for myself all by myself, so it's a large step on my end.

I'm used to getting 26 mpg for my Elantra, and I know for a fact that the JGC is a gas hog. I think it's 17-19 mpg city and 21 mpg highway. So on that end, I'm thinking that I'll be seeing $ signs when filling up the gas tank for the 6 cyl engine.

The 07 JCG that I'm looking at is about 18.5k with ONLY 20k miles on it. I mean, that is a beaut of a deal for any JCG.

But something is just bugging me with the poor gas mileage.

I KNOW that if I want a nice SUV like this, I'm gonna have to pay up a little more... And I know that this has been my dream vehicle since I was a kid. With graduation less than a year away, I would think that this would be a wonderful expense (a large one, but wonderful).

I'm not thinking of buying it because I'm gonna go off-road everytime I drive, but like I said.. I realllllly want it.

But then there's something telling me that I should just get a nice car with quality fuel economy, since it'll do the same thing the JCG will do: get me from A to B.

I'm almost stuck, to say the least.

Do I want something that I've always wanted (which will be more expensive with insurance/gas/etc), or do I want something that will save the wallet of a young 21 year old.

The CARFAX vehicle history report looks GREAT.

Gah, growing up is hard!

Anyone else drive one of these, or similar gas hogs? What do you think about them?

Last edited by Peerless; 10-23-2010, 03:34 PM.

As another college student I'd say get the better mileage car because not only are there nice and affordable ones but like you said you will end up saving more money in the long run.

But if you REAAALLY want it man and are willing to invest in more money in the future then go with the jeep.

Comment

For a point A to B type vehicle, get a gas saver.

We have a Jeep Liberty, gets around 20MPG, it's nice to haul the boat and a bunch of passengers and tools, but the gas milage sucks compared to our little 09 Toyota Corrola.

Later in life get a nice JGC that you can use on the side, but not as an everyday driver.

I have a twin turbo mustang also, but again, these are more weekend fun cars.

Save the money and get yourself the economy car, pay it off, then look to get your Jeep and have fun with it on the weekends!
      sigpic

Comment

Seriously, wait til you either (a) graduate college or (b) get a good paying job making at least $15+ per hour.

However, in my experience, when you purchase a Jeep, it's either (a) a lemon or (b) bullet proof. There is no in between.

Comment

Good views and explanations.

I mean I want to use my current Elantra until it kicks the bucket, but I have some options open with what to buy.

(I've always been eying the 2011 Hyundai Sonata).

Comment

Its been a while since I checked consumer reports on the Grand Cherokee. They have been known to have poor reliabilty ratings, which is why they lose value so quickly.

I would make sure if you buy one that you get one that's atleast 3 years old, and has less than 50k miles. Shop around, obviously-
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I have a JGC 99' with 152,000 mi on it. I bought it brand new and have only had minor problems with it. I had to fix the a/c and the other things you would have to replace over 10+ yrs and 150,000 mi. It's in pretty rough shape now but it's been a very good car for me. I am aware that JGC don't rate well, and I understand that but in my experience it has been good to me.

If I was going to buy a smaller suv right now though I probably would not get a JGC, I am a japanese car guy now, thanks to my wife. I would go with a honda pilot now.
              I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
              I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
              I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
              "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
              God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
              Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Does it have the V8 or the straight 6? If it has the 6 cylinder engine you'll get "better" mileage than the big dog. Also I LOLed that you said a 97 was your dream car since you were a kid. Makes me feel old

By the way I was a mechanic for about 12 years and I've done plenty of work on cherokees. They have their faults just like any other vehicle but over all they are pretty solid when maintained properly. I'd buy one if the circumstances were right.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Biggregb View Post
                  Does it have the V8 or the straight 6? If it has the 6 cylinder engine you'll get "better" mileage than the big dog. Also I LOLed that you said a 97 was your dream car since you were a kid. Makes me feel old

By the way I was a mechanic for about 12 years and I've done plenty of work on cherokees. They have their faults just like any other vehicle but over all they are pretty solid when maintained properly. I'd buy one if the circumstances were right.
                  Well any JCG is my dream car, but I've loved them since I was a little tot.

And yeah, it's a gas V6 3.7L/225 4WD.

Comment

I almost forgot the most important thing. Chicks dig Jeep Grand Cherokees....... Well more than Hundai Elantras anyway.
                    sigpic

Comment

I drive a 96 Grand Cherokee. Ive put 160k miles on it and it is still going strong. It was held up very very well, but, yes, it does love the gas.

Mine has tons and tons of upgrades, including the V8, full time 4WD and the towing package with the transmission cooler. Alot of this I credit to its longevity.

That being said, if you take care of something the right way, it will always be a good investment. I recommend changing your oil every 2000 miles instead of waiting until 3000. It is a minor investment that will add longevity to your vehicle.

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                      Well any JCG is my dream car, but I've loved them since I was a little tot.

And yeah, it's a gas V6 3.7L/225 4WD.
                      Go for the V8. Those motors are strong and last longer.
                      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                      X