Happiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness

So.... here is an essay I wrote/compiled about... well.. happiness for want of a better description...
    Just a collection of a lot of ideas I have read and incorporated into my outlook...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For so long I walked this earth unconsciously letting my ego control my thinking. Recent experiences have created a space in my life for something new to emerge. I have been looking at fundamental human traits and habits of the ego that pull us away from a closeness to our own spirituality. Awakening to become conscious and aware is a part of overcoming the ego and it's control of our thoughts. 400 years ago Descartes wrote "I think, therefore I am". He was wrong. I am not my thoughts. We are the consciousness behind our thinking...that is who we truly are.

Eckhart Tolle writes that;
    "Instead of being lost in your thinking, when you are awake you recognize yourself as the awareness behind it. Thinking then ceases to be an autonomous, self serving activity that takes possession of you and runs your life. Awareness takes over from thinking. Instead of (the ego) being in charge of your life, thinking becomes the servant of awareness. "

Awareness is conscious connection with universal intelligence. Another word for it is presence. Consciousness without thought. That is as close as we can get to God. Einstein said... " I want to know the mind of God.The rest are all details." The details are our outer purpose. Our inner purpose is to be aware. To be present. To be here now. Consciousness is the living reality of God manifested in every moment of our lives. Thoughts as a tool of consciousness rather than a weapon of the ego. I make a conscious choice to be present, rather than to indulge in useless, ego-driven thinking.

The present moment is always small, but holds the greatest power. Anxiety, stress, and negativity cut us of from that power. They arise when we turn away from the present moment. In effect... the present moment is where the rubber meets the road.

The ego creates a story, an identitiy about who we are... a victim or a hero or whatnot. The ego ruminates and catastrophises about the future... about things that will not or may not ever happen. We put off happiness, thinking that one day when this or that happens, or when the stars line up, or when our spouse finally respects us, or whatever... we think "Ah, then I will finally be happy." However, the future never gets here. It is an abstract idea. We only ever have this present moment. Living in the past... identifying with what was, or what we own, or what might or might not happen someday is all a construct of the ego. We only have this present moment to be happy in... to find peace and serenity in. To be conscious and aware in. To live in. The future will never get here, it is always just this present moment. We can plan and create a present moment that has not yet arrived... that is one of our outer purposes, but once it arrives it is not the abstract concept of "the future" any longer... and we often fail to recognize it... as it becomes the present moment... this gift.

Quality, care, and attention requires presence. Consciousness without thought. Awareness is the space in which thoughts exist when that space has become conscious self. Aware of thinking but not part of it.

That is kinda what I have been thinking on lately. Consciously embracing sobriety. I am absolutly done with any and all intoxicants. Never again. I am not sick. I do not have the need to self medicate. This present moment, this gift is enough as it is... I do not need to alter it. To alter my consciousness would be to acknowledge an unhappiness with it. Having at long last awakened to my conscious self... I accept it's simplistic beauty. Thinking about consciousness and acceptance. Acceptence of others for who they are, acceptence of situations and realities I must deal with. Peace and serenty are found within acceptance.

In every moment I strive to be present, conscious. I try to overcome my ego. Even in the telling of these things I have discused here, my ego rises and tries to obscure arising awareness. This awakening is not a concept, a process or a prized possession ... that is what the ego would make it into. Instead... being conscious just is. You either get it or you don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Attitude is more important than facts. It's more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what other people say or think or do. It'll make or break a business, a home, a friendship, a relationship or an organization. The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day of what our attitude will be. We cannot change our past, the actions of others or the inevitable. The only thing we can change is our attitude."
    ~ Chuck Swindol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 11-10-2010, 10:49 AM.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

I really like this post.

In this big, huge, wide, varied world, there is only 1 thing any individual has control over - themselves. You CANT force others to change. Worrying and obsessing over what you cannot control only creates frustration.

YOU are in control of your own attitudes, thoughts, and actions.

Happiness is not something that is elusive, something randomly bestowed on an individual. Outside influences can definately have a huge effect on our happiness, but we can't control those. We can control how we react and respond. We are responsible for our happiness, not those around us.

Too many people give up responsibility for the most important things in their lives, imo.

Is it the governments job to educate our kids? The Schools are a great resource and tool, but as parents, ultimately, it's our responsibility. Is our health the responsibility of the health care industry? It's our job to make sure that we are living healthy lifestyles (something I'm trying to drastically change over the last few months). Is it the media's job to form our opinions, thoughts, and goals? I'd argue that in these areas often the media is the worst influence.

We as a society have given our most basic, important and core responsibilities over to others who often don't have our happiness and best interest as their #1 goal. That's unfortunate. The good thing is as individuals we all have the ability to take control of these responsibilities, and take control of our own happiness.

Great post PainterDave!!

Comment

Popping it... I re-read this a lot.

It centers me.

Just wanted to share..
      - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

I read a book a few year ago that changed me life. In it I learned that what YOU say to me, or do to me has no bearing on what I may think YOU did to me. It's about me. It's about how I choose to react. YOU did not hurt my feelings... I allowed my feelings to be hurt. YOU did not make me happy, I allowed myself to find that happy.

So, I try to live like that. I don't blame others, because it does come down to how I respond. That's what I can control, and the only thing I can control.
        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

How long are you generally happy for? My happiness lasts for a few hours max before it disappears again
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

love that last quote PD its great
            sigpic
            -------

Comment

Working...
            X