Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Alien Planet From Another Galaxy Discovered

Here is the link: http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ed-101118.html

This is interesting, it kinda let us see what could happen with our galaxy, when it collide with Andromeda, and it also gives us a look at whats happening right now while our galaxy is eating a small galaxy.

Astronomers have confirmed the first discovery of an alien planet in our Milky Way that came from another galaxy, they announced today (Nov. 18).

The Jupiter-like planet orbits a star that was born in another galaxy and later captured by our own Milky Way sometime between 6 billion and 9 billion years ago, researchers said. A side effect of the galactic cannibalism brought a faraway planet within astronomers' reach for the first time ever.
    "This is very exciting," said study co-author Rainer Klement of the Max-Planck-Institut fur Astronomie (MPIA) in Heidelberg, Germany. "We have no ability to directly observe stars in foreign galaxies for planets and confirm them."
    Stars currently residing in other galaxies are simply too far away, Klement added.The find may also force astronomers to rethink their ideas about planet formation and survival, researchers said, since it's the first planet ever discovered to be circling a star that is both very old and extremely metal-poor. Metal-poor stars are lacking in typically lack elements heavier than hydrogen and helium.

The newfound planet, called HIP 13044b, survived through its star's red-giant phase, which our own sun will enter in about 5 billion years. So studying it could offer clues about the fate of our solar system as well, researchers said.

HIP 13044b sits extremely close to its parent star, which has now contracted again. The planet completes an orbit every 16.2 days, and it comes within about 5 million miles (8 million kilometers) of its parent star at closest approach — just 5.5 percent of the distance between Earth and the sun.

Searching for telltale tugs

The newly discovered alien planet is at least 25 percent more massive than Jupiter, researchers said. It orbits the star HIP 13044 about 2,000 light-years from Earth in the constellation Fornax.

HIP 13044 is about as massive as the sun, and it is nearing the end of its life. The star has already gone through its red giant phase — when sun-like stars bloat enormously after exhausting the hydrogen fuel in their cores.

The star is also composed almost entirely of hydrogen and helium. It is less than only 1 percent as metal-rich as our sun, making it the most metal-poor star known to host a planet, researchers said.

The research team scrutinized HIP 13044's movement using a telescope at the European Southern Observatory's La Silla Observatory in Chile. After six months of observing, they detected tiny movements that betrayed the gravitational tug of an orbiting planet.

"For me, it was a big surprise," said study lead author Johny Setiawan, also of MPIA. "I was not expecting it in the beginning."

Setiawan, Klement and their colleagues report their results online in the Nov. 18 issue of Science.
    More at the site. Share you thoughts and have a nice day.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

We should shoot rockets at it. See what's up.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
      It's a gas giant, so if you shoot a rocket at Jupiter,Saturn, Uranus, or Neptune, the same thing would happen.
      Rocket goes bye bye, Planets win.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
        It's a gas giant, so if you shoot a rocket at Jupiter,Saturn, Uranus, or Neptune, the same thing would happen.
        Rocket goes bye bye, Planets win.
        It was a joke about when we were shooting rockets at the moon

If it is indeed whats in store for the future of our solar system, should be interesting to watch...
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

It was a joke about when we were shooting rockets at the moon

If it is indeed whats in store for the future of our solar system, should be interesting to watch...
          I know you was telling a joke.
          The best I can say about the future is, is that there will be mayhem.
          But then again will humans be around at the time?
          Will we kill each other of the planet or will some rock,gamma burst,etc end us?
          sigpic
          Adopted Broncos:
          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

How is it an alien planet if they can't see Alien life on it?

How do they know there are Aliens there?

9 Billion years ago? lol

Sorry I don't believe in evolution.

This planet hasn't even been around 1 million years, or anything close to it.

Not here to debate it either. It's the wrong forum and this will turn religious very fast.
            sigpic

Comment

No doubt; I'm scared of stuff 2,000 lightyears away. I think we should nuke it :thumb:
              sigpic

Adopted by: Andrewmlb :thumb:
              Sig by: MHS

Comment

Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
                How is it an alien planet if they can't see Alien life on it?

How do they know there are Aliens there?

9 Billion years ago? lol

Sorry I don't believe in evolution.

This planet hasn't even been around 1 million years, or anything close to it.

Not here to debate it either. It's the wrong forum and this will turn religious very fast.
                The word 'alien' just means foreign(not from here) It's also a gas planet = boring and lifeless
                sigpic

Comment

Jupiter like? OMG! Cronos has returned!
                  I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Brakshow View Post
                    The word 'alien' just means foreign(not from here) It's also a gas planet = boring and lifeless
                    It's funny, I was honestly thinking that exact thing when I was typing my earlier post, and I still set myself up to be a moron.

Oh well, life goes on
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                      Jupiter like? OMG! Cronos has returned!
                      It could be the dark planet in the Fifth Element that is headed to consume earth? Maybe I should throw this in prognostication so in 500million years someone will pull that up and I'll have my own show on the History channel
                      sigpic

Comment

Flash Gordon!?

Comment

So this planet is like fresno state, and the milky way is like the MWC???

we need to change to a playoff system... we won't survive with the current system...

wait what?

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                            Here is the link:
                            This is interesting, it kinda let us see what could happen with our galaxy, when it collide with Andromeda, and it also gives us a look at whats happening right now while our galaxy is eating a small galaxy.

More at the site. Share you thoughts and have a nice day.

do they got any oil?

Comment

Originally posted by sparky the sun devil View Post
                              do they got any oil?
                              710???????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X