Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about an I-pad for my wife

Anyone have on out there?

I don't think I would need the 3G.....she would mostly use it for internet, e-mail, downloading pictures, stuff like that at the house or Wi-Fi hot spots.

I believe the $699 on with 32 GB..... Does anyone have one and would you reccomend one? I'm thinking it is a cheaper alternative to an IMac and she doesn't really need everything that a laptop offers......she can use the home PC for that type of stuff.

Thoughts?
    My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

I'm thinkin of buying the same thing for my wife for X-Mas.

Comment

I went to the Apple store yesterday and they said for my expected use of it to either go with the 16 gb ($499) or the 32 gb ($599).....

don't know what to do!!!

Comment

iPad maybe one of the most useless overpriced junks Apple has made.

People really buy into the hype though.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

Curious if you know of an alternative for the uses described in the OP.....at a price around $599. Don't want to spend more if I don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcgough25 View Post
            Curious if you know of an alternative for the uses described in the OP.....at a price around $599. Don't want to spend more if I don't have to.
            To me the iPad is basically a smart phone/netbook hybrid. Barring that the iPad doesn't have a camera or can't make calls. It being a smart phone hybrid because of the iPad being App based.

The iPad does not have flash so some websites won't work (Hulu and any other flash based website).

Quite honestly I think it's just all flash with no substance but if your wife likes those cool gadget type of things than get it for her. If you were thinking of an alternative there are laptops that are this price that work very well. Or you could get her a netbook which is even cheaper then a laptop but doesn't have as many features.

Comment

This doesn't help much, as they aren't out yet...

but...Ipad, eat your heart out:

http://www.crunchgear.com/tag/notion-ink-adam/

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Anyone have on out there?

I don't think I would need the 3G.....she would mostly use it for internet, e-mail, downloading pictures, stuff like that at the house or Wi-Fi hot spots.

I believe the $699 on with 32 GB..... Does anyone have one and would you reccomend one? I'm thinking it is a cheaper alternative to an IMac and she doesn't really need everything that a laptop offers......she can use the home PC for that type of stuff.

Thoughts?
                For what you say you need it for, it would be a nice gift. There are some people who need their laptops to do things like flash, have usb ports etc. But If you don't need it for more than e-mail and web browsing and games it is cool. I am waiting for the second one to come out in the spring because it is supposed to have usb ports built in (supposedly). And then I will get one for my wife.

Comment

Ipad

I think they are an over prices super sized Iphone, without a phone, or camera.

Why not get her an Iphone if she currently uses a cell phone? It does everything an Ipad does, and she can make calls.

We have a friend who bought one and once the novelty work off, it sits and she is back at her computer for most things she does. I was totally hyped on them and I buy more gadgets than socks but seeing hers I am off them totally.
                  Last edited by EddieMac; 11-19-2010, 05:04 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Folks, thanks for the feedback.......now I am doubting myself and need an Anniverary present

TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am not doing jewelry for the 15 year.

Comment

Get her an Iphone instead.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

This.

If you want to use the internet and such get a laptop, you need an App for EVERY SINGLE website you want to visit, and flash doesn't work on some sites. It's like a gigantic iPod Touch. My laptop was around the price range you're looking for, maybe $100 more, but you can get really nice laptops for that price.

And like others have said, get an iPhone, it does the exact same thing as an iPad but it's more useful because you can use it to make calls
                        Last edited by Skywalker; 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

$700 is a lot of money to check e-mail and play games. Especially if it’s only over wifi, so you could probably do that on a computer or laptop for that price.

There’s some Android tablets coming out, they at least run flash, but still I’d have a hard time justifying that expense for what you get. There are laptops cheaper than that, with a ton more storage, power, and capability.

I know a couple people that have ipads, and all one of them ever does on it is play games. And they are simple, easy games. If all you want is a game player you can get a portable device that plays better games for much cheaper.

I just have a hard time seeing the value in those devices, especially considering their very high cost.

Comment

Folks, thanks for the feedback.......now I am doubting myself and need an Anniverary present

TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am not doing jewelry for the 15 year.
                            Happy anniversary!

You should have posted this thread last week.

Jewelry is good for any year. Doesn't always have to be diamonds.

Whatever you get, I'm sure she'll love it.
                            Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Thanks all!!

I think I will start my search at Best Buy and look for a refurbished laptop.

As far as jewelry, I think it will be my fall back plan this year!!

Comment

Working...
                              X