Transmission/Clutch issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission/Clutch issues.

My Dodge Stratus RT is having some sort of transmission issues (manual). Wondering if anyone knows much about this sort of thing.

It doesn't really want to go into gear very well. It does... but VERY slowly, as though I had the clutch down too far, or I was in second gear when I'm in first trying to go from a stop. It does this in every gear.

Once I'm up to speed, regardless of the gear or speed, it will rev easily without accelerating much if I push down on the gas at all. Sometimes it will rev up far and then kick back into gear and accelerate well, but I have to rev to about 3500 RPMs or so... maybe higher. Not sure. Again, it feels like my clutch is partially in when it is not.

Going to have it looked at next week. Just wondering if anyone might be able to give me a heads up on what I may be looking at.

Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Sounds like clutch to me. I'm not a mechanic but I know a little and it sounds like your clutch to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      My Dodge Stratus RT is having some sort of transmission issues (manual). Wondering if anyone knows much about this sort of thing.

It doesn't really want to go into gear very well. It does... but VERY slowly, as though I had the clutch down too far, or I was in second gear when I'm in first trying to go from a stop. It does this in every gear.

Once I'm up to speed, regardless of the gear or speed, it will rev easily without accelerating much if I push down on the gas at all. Sometimes it will rev up far and then kick back into gear and accelerate well, but I have to rev to about 3500 RPMs or so... maybe higher. Not sure. Again, it feels like my clutch is partially in when it is not.

Going to have it looked at next week. Just wondering if anyone might be able to give me a heads up on what I may be looking at.

Sounds like you need a new clutch man. When you go into gear it should be around 1500 RPM ( I have a 5-speed truck), so if it's going all the way up to 3500 just to get into gear then it sounds like it's gone. Should be a $1200 replacement
      Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

Comment

Originally posted by Scheyjosh View Post
        Sounds like you need a new clutch man. When you go into gear it should be around 1500 RPM ( I have a 5-speed truck), so if it's going all the way up to 3500 just to get into gear then it sounds like it's gone. Should be a $1200 replacement
        Well, it will go into gear at a lower RPM than that... but it's less effective/takes longer.

I hate this.
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
          Well, it will go into gear at a lower RPM than that... but it's less effective/takes longer.

I hate this.
          It takes longer because the gear isn't fully in when your putting it into gear. Kinda like going from stop to second. It's fully in at 3500 rpm which is why your clutch is done........Kinda like the Chargers in the Playoffs every year

Comment

Clutch is goin out holmes you can do it yourslef for alot less than 1200
            sigpic
            photo by my GF...http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Comment

Sounds like your clutch but there's no way it should cost $1200 to fix. My clutch went out in my Talon and it costed around $800 with a racing clutch. If you can do it yourself, it shouldn't be more than $300 TOPS.
              sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
                Sounds like your clutch but there's no way it should cost $1200 to fix. My clutch went out in my Talon and it costed around $800 with a racing clutch. If you can do it yourself, it shouldn't be more than $300 TOPS.
                Really? Everywhere i've looked it says about $1000 for the parts and then plus labor. You really shouldn't be working on your car also if you don't know if the clutch is gone in the first place or u'll mess up ur tranny.

Comment

BlueOrange, what year is your Talon? I'm an old school DSMer.

Had an ACT 3200 lb clutch in my 99 GS-T and it was 300 plus the work. No where near $1,200.

Comment

It's your clutch...of this I am sure...

There may be some adjustment left to it, which will buy you some time, but the bottom line is...you need a new clutch.

If you're mechanically inclined, it's not a particularly hard job to do...it's not as easy as changing your oil, but it's not a motor swap either...
                    ...that is unless you own a Nissan Sentra, then it might as well be a motor swap (voice of experience)

If you just got back from the manicurist, and don't want to crack a nail, having a job like that done should cost you in the $600-$800 dollar range...if someone bills you $1,200 to have it changed out, be sure and get a kiss afterwards...just sayin'...

Comment

Concur 100% with clutch. It's worn out and the plate is slipping even at tension. That's why it's revving (it's slipping as if you had backed off the plate with your foot).

Comment

It's been a while since I priced it, but this is not a high-end expensive. If you had asked me to guess, I would have said $450. So up that to $600 on account of me probably being low.

But I think the part would probably be 3-something.

Comment

Yep, like everyone said, your clutch is about to go...definitely don't wait on repairing it.

That being said, the prices of clutches vary from a couple hundred to almost $2000...doesn't sound like that's a high-end clutch though. Do some research on it and see what a fair price is, then take parts and labor into account.

$1200 does seem a bit high, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually close to that.
                          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                            BlueOrange, what year is your Talon? I'm an old school DSMer.

Had an ACT 3200 lb clutch in my 99 GS-T and it was 300 plus the work. No where near $1,200.
                            Good stuff man. It's a 95 TSI AWD, got a Jacks TrAns in it, SBR Clutch, Evo 3 16g, FMIC, Full 3' Turbo-Back Exhaust, HKS SSQ Bov, Intake, 3" GM MAF, External wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, Greddy E-Man, Tuned on E85. I bought a Holset turbo for it last year that I'm waiting to put in.

But back to the OP, if you pay $1200 for a clutch job on a Dodge Stratus then you are getting ripped off, plain and simple. I might know a guy who would be willing to do it for you, I can give you his # if you want.
                            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Worst decision ever was to name a price on changing the clutch out. I've never had mine replaced cause i've been good to it, but MY BAD for putting such a high mark on it lol. Sheesh people love to kill on people

Comment

Working...
                              X