Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hats We Wear (Sorry Dudes...This Is Not About Women In Hats...Next Time!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncoFan!
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
    I'd wear a ski mask if I was you too.

I wear fadora's when I feel gangsta.
    Sorry 12 I was a little mean right there. Forgot to add something *I don't want to get another warning for being a jerk lol. I've been too nasty recently.*

Leave a comment:

• broncoFan!
    replied
    Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
    I wear a ski mask when going to the bank
    I'd wear a ski mask if I was you too.

I wear fadora's when I feel gangsta.

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    I wear a ski mask when going to the bank.

edit: sorry, don't wanna hijack the thread

I don't wear many hats as I'm only 19, but it's nice to see what i'll look forward to
    Last edited by 12and4; 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Hats

Hats

Leave a comment:

• Gatorgirl
    replied
    i like this train of thought about 'hats'. regardless of whether one thinks they are wearing them or not, they are. everyone has different aspects of themselves that they express in different situations. even as simple as the 'work me' vs the 'home me'. i don't think most realize that who they are takes on many expressions throughout the course of a day. and it does not lessen knowing who they are, only expands all the ways one can express the endless aspects of ones self.

i do however, disagree with grouping the 'roles' people play with the hats they may wear. 'hats' to me describes the different characteristics of the same thing. just like clothes. just because i decide to wear sweats one day and an evening gown the next does not not mean i am not being myself. just two expressions of myself. same as the parent who wears the corporate hat during the day, and the caregiver hat at night.

'roles' to me indicates a change in personality. a change in the basic core of what you are. an indecisive personality may choose to play different roles, with different morals and such. not that one can't play different roles, but each one is in and of itself a unique (and usually conflicting) persona. for example the doting father who also steals and kills to make a living. to play these two different 'roles' one must change core values. therefore creating two separate persons, not one person expressing different aspects of self.

i know in this thread can, its just verbage. but did want to say a bit about the difference between 'hats' and 'roles' as i read it...

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
    My primary hats are:
    1. Husband
    2. Father
    3. Educator

Each hat requires something different, but each is very rewarding. Unfortunately the educator (job) hat sometimes inteferes with being a father and husband because I'm out of town for work, traveling to conferences, or staying after later than I would like. I love being able to take that hat off though because being a husband and father are the hats I love to wear the most.

The hats we wear sometimes carry stereotypes that we break! I'm just turned 30 and am already looking towards year four as an adminstrator and people say aren't you a little young....

Good Post as always Can, you bring some reflection to all of us!
    If nothing else you are treating that job as an important ally.......it is helping you support your family. That's not too bad, even if it keeps you away a little too much.

Heard some interesting dialogue on Mike & Mike about "coaching"......how it is not a job for a family person. These coaches (at almost every level) are spending far too much time away from family, and the job is all-consuming at times. In fact, Schlereth was saying that he was going to be offered a position with the Broncos, but was advised not to, given how devoted he was to his family.

Not to take away from your feelings, but your concern reminded me of the dialogue yesterday morning. In the end bud, even though we can not get those hours back, but you sure sound like a guy who will be dedicated to his "team" (at home) for the long run.

Last thought......I often wish I could go back for just one day, when my kids were at a certain age. That day would be worth a lot to me!

Leave a comment:

• 100%Broncoholic
    replied
    My primary hats are:
    1. Husband
    2. Father
    3. Educator

Each hat requires something different, but each is very rewarding. Unfortunately the educator (job) hat sometimes inteferes with being a father and husband because I'm out of town for work, traveling to conferences, or staying after later than I would like. I love being able to take that hat off though because being a husband and father are the hats I love to wear the most.

The hats we wear sometimes carry stereotypes that we break! I'm just turned 30 and am already looking towards year four as an adminstrator and people say aren't you a little young....

Good Post as always Can, you bring some reflection to all of us!

Leave a comment:

• The Hats We Wear (Sorry Dudes...This Is Not About Women In Hats...Next Time!)

We are role players. We wear many hats. Are we actors then? Some of us are for sure. Some don't try to be, but they haven't realized it yet. Some use roles to be something different than they are. And fortunately, most use them with the right intentions.

How many hats do you wear? You may have made a list at some point, maybe after you were first made aware of this human condition of ours. If so, you've no doubt added some since. Regardless, are we just actors, or is there a greater good?

So, if a person plays very few roles....does that mean they are representing themselves the best? I know of some people who play few roles. I would say that some, the stubborn types, just don't like to bend a lot. "This is who I am, so deal with it" approach. Of course they still have to understand role playing 101 if they want to move ahead, say in the work world.....but they may remain to themselves most of the time, and not affiliate to a high degree. On the other hand, I also know folks that wear few hats, and are just plain "cool". They may be a single dude, that likes to read, enjoy nature, and so on, and basically do what fits them best, without getting in the way of others.

I need to think about that part a little more....

But here's my take on why role playing is not so much about selling your soul, but actually contributing more. You see, if we are true to ourselves at all times, and not even flex to any degree, if the role places that expectation on us (ie. like being "apparently" respectful with elders, dignitaries, and bosses (the good ones)) we will have difficulty being really good at those roles. And not to say that they are all worthy of such imitation (the roles of which I speak), however I think you can understand the implications of being a good parent, or a good partner, or a good employee, and so on. AND HERE's THE REALLY GOOD NEWS......within each role, we can be ourselves, and we can be wonderful in the role while being a unique and cool and special person within!!! Roles do not diminish who we are, and what we can add to the situation. Some folks can redefine roles to some level. All in all, the role is often the manual for doing the specifics required......as in good parent.....it does not force you to be someone else, and it often allows for some healthy interpretation.

On the not so positive side, there are a few things to be aware of, from my vantage point. Watch out for people who have conflicting roles. For example, the unfaithful partner, or the self righteous types, who push a product they are not using. Conflicting roles usually put people in positions to lose sight of themselves....they become the actors.

Also.....I think we all know about the saying, "he or she is playing a role"......quite simply that tells me someone is also acting, and probably a very poor actor at that.

I have messed up with the hats I've worn. When I was single, I tried (big emphasis on "tried") to be a playboy type (playboy is a funny word isn't it!!!), but I had some difficulties trying to balance it with being a good role model (ie. Big Brother), a responsible young manager (as in, "this punk is trying to date all the young ladies here!!!"), and as a competitive sports dude (as in, "the booze is not helping my conditioning"), and more....

So take some time to gloss over all those hats you wear......and don't worry, if you are being honest and well-intentioned, you will probably remain the same valuable, unique person you are, while working at the everyday game of being a good partner, parent, employee, student, friend (the role catelog has many pages) you can be.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM.
Working...
X