Attention sky watchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention sky watchers

There will be a good meteor shower Today and tomorrow, so if you got clear night sky's, take a look at the shooting stars. Maybe let your kids view them too.
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...on-101212.html

November's Leonid meteor shower may have passed us by, but that doesn't mean there aren't any good meteor displays to look forward to as the end of 2010 draws near. In fact, one of the best is just around the corner, scheduled to reach its peak next week: the Geminid meteor shower.

The Geminids get their name from the constellation of Gemini, the Twins, where the display of so-called "shooting stars" appears to originate from the night sky. During the overnight hours of Dec. 13 and Dec. 14, the night of this shower's peak, the meteors should appear to emanate from a spot in the sky near the bright star Castor in Gemini.

This sky map shows where to look for the Geminid meteor shower when it peaks on Dec. 13 and Dec. 14.
    December's meteor gems

The Geminid meteors are — for those willing to brave the chill of a December night — a fine winter shower, and usually the most satisfying of all the annual showers. They can even surpass the famous Perseid meteors of August at their peak.

Studies of past displays show that this shower has a reputation for being rich in slow, bright, graceful meteors and fireballs as well as faint meteors, with relatively fewer objects of medium brightness. Many appear yellowish in hue. Some even seem to form jagged or divided paths.
    More at the site.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Thank you!
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
      Thank you!
      No need for that, just sharing something for everyone.
      Letting people understand and see things involving space is all I wanna do.
      Allot of kids today don't wanna be doctors,cops,lawyers, and astronauts.
      One reason is because they don't get to see how cool it is, and fun it is to study it. I'm not even in school, in yet I spend allot of time study astronomy, it's just in my blood.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I was just heading home from work about an hour ago and saw a huge one. And it was cruising really fast.
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
          I was just heading home from work about an hour ago and saw a huge one. And it was cruising really fast.
          Thats what she said

Comment

damn overcast

also 2am is probably too late? i dunno...because of all the freaking clouds. Boo!
            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
              No need for that, just sharing something for everyone.
              Letting people understand and see things involving space is all I wanna do.
              Allot of kids today don't wanna be doctors,cops,lawyers, and astronauts.
              One reason is because they don't get to see how cool it is, and fun it is to study it. I'm not even in school, in yet I spend allot of time study astronomy, it's just in my blood.
              I hope you did not think I was being a smart mouth.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                I hope you did not think I was being a smart mouth.
                No I didn't think you was.
                But yeah I missed it last night, hopefully tonight the sky's are clear.
                I seem to always catch the random meteors that fall, but miss the showers because of weather.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I miss that old PBS show with Jack Horkheimer.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X