Getting the kids involved...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the kids involved...

How do you get/keep your kids interested in watching the games with you?

One thing that has become very important to me in the last few years is sitting down and watching the games with Elway and our boy... but at 10, sometimes he doesn't have the longest attention span for the game, especially when we're not doing so great. The game starts to go downhill, my mood slips, Elway's mood slips, and the Boy starts to lose interest.

I think the NFL is doing a great job marketing to kids... have your kids visited the NFLRushZone online?

They have a Pick'Ems competition, and a "Fantasy" competition... Now, their version of Fantasy is kind of like Fantasy with training wheels, as far as I'm concerned... the kids each pick people for each of the positions, like you or I would, but there are no leagues, and every player is available to every child... so 3/4 of the kids out there could pick Tim Tebow, for example, if they wanted to. The winners (weekly, and all-season) get scholarships and stuff too!

My son LOVES to go on there and play those games, and I think it's great, because it does get him fired up, and teaches him at least how those games are played, and in a few years, he'll be ready for a real fantasy league.

We're also doing a Family Pick'Em league. I promised dinner of choice to the winner at the end of the season. I think Elway's already run away with the title, but that's ok

NFLRZ also has a message board he's tried to post on a few times, but it's very heavily moderated (thank goodness), but sometimes that means that the things you say won't actually post until hours after you've posted them.

I let The Boy come in and check out the GameDay thread a few times, because I know that Elway is here making sure that it's clean, and ok for him to be able to see... but sometimes that thread moves really fast. I don't even feel like *I* can keep up with the game and the thread some days.

So what do you do to interest your kids?
    sigpic

Instead of bed time stories, I read them Elway's stat lines and play by plays from the good old day...

My daughter sits and watches some of the game w me, but I'd rather her run around and play. Someday maybe her and my son will sit around and watch a game w the old guy. My daughter has plenty of Bronco stuff already I hope she stays a fan
    sigpic
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Tell them Tim Tebow is playing. :orton:

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
        LOL... my 10 yo is at a friend's house today... said he didn't care if he was home before the game and THEN we found out Tebow was playing.

After we're off to the start we are, I decided he should see at least SOME of this, so I'm going to get him at halftime!
        sigpic

Comment

Who is Tim Tebow?
          sigpic
          The Bronco fan pledge;
          I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
          Bronco's Country.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
            Who is Tim Tebow?
            Some say he is born from a velociraptor and Zues himself. He was concieved in Mount Olympus where he was raised by Bruce Lee and Johnny Unitas.

Yeah.

Comment

Some say he is born from a velociraptor and Zues himself. He was concieved in Mount Olympus where he was raised by Bruce Lee and Johnny Unitas.

Yeah.
              you realize Velociraptors were the size of turkeys right?
              Last edited by RealBronco; 12-19-2010, 02:28 PM. Reason: switched from present to past tense. since raptors are extinct.
              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                On steroids...
                sigpic
                The Bronco fan pledge;
                Bronco's Country.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                  You realize a Velociraptor from Mount Olympus is the size of a Good Year Blimp?

Comment

NFL Rush

Redy,

My 8 year old just started on that site and is hooked!!!! He's gettting more and more into the games, but all game is hard.
                    My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

I would throw him in the chatroom in the "Kids Zone"

thats where I am on gameday

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                        I would throw him in the chatroom in the "Kids Zone"

thats where I am on gameday
                        LOL, good call, 12and4. I may just do that

I do appreciate you guys attempting to be PG in there while he was there.
                        sigpic

Comment

He could always count and catalog the commercials.
                          That could keep a person busy.

Comment

Originally posted by redbirdy80 View Post
                            LOL, good call, 12and4. I may just do that

I do appreciate you guys attempting to be PG in there while he was there.
                            you shoulda told us before hand, it was getting a little rough in there before we found out it was him.

even after that lol.... its tough to watch these broncos without throwing a few choice words here and there especially with the playcalling

anyways, I heard he was keeping up with you guys up until recently in the pick em. I am gonna take over as leader after this week i think in the pick em

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                              you shoulda told us before hand, it was getting a little rough in there before we found out it was him.

even after that lol.... its tough to watch these broncos without throwing a few choice words here and there especially with the playcalling

anyways, I heard he was keeping up with you guys up until recently in the pick em. I am gonna take over as leader after this week i think in the pick em

Good luck!
                              It was ok... I didn't think about it, because I was making dinner... and only meant to introduce him so you didn't think he was me... not necessarily to make you guys calm down or anything. I think it was fine.

And yeah, he's done pretty well with the PickEms... though I've fallen off a bit. I actually have to put everything from the last few weeks into the spreadsheet and tally it all up again, it's been a while.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X