No announcement yet.

College Students Not Learning Much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since were talking about school I might as well derail this thread.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

associates degree plus bachelors degree THEN police academy in 2013/2014

or associates degree and straight to the police academy in 2012
    Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
      Then again I do have a degree and work in a supermarket, so maybe I'm not the best example.
      I have three, and I don't have a job at all.

Originally posted by jc13 View Post

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Bachelors. The days of associate degrees meaning anything are passing. Many jobs that formerly accepted associates degrees now require a bachelors. I rarely see jobs that ask for an associates any more.

Besides, you might not like being a cop. You might want to go do something else in a related field instead which may (most likely will) require a bachelors.

Get the bachelors. It's another 2 years but is far more significant in terms of job options.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
        I have three, and I don't have a job at all.

Bachelors. The days of associate degrees meaning anything are passing. Many jobs that formerly accepted associates degrees now require a bachelors. I rarely see jobs that ask for an associates any more.

Besides, you might not like being a cop. You might want to go do something else in a related field instead which may (most likely will) require a bachelors.

Get the bachelors. It's another 2 years but is far more significant in terms of job options.
        Yea that's what I was leaning towards.

But just by speaking to a lot of police officers they all have like high school diplomas and stuff. Luckily I'm gonna walk into SDSU as a junior so I'm looking at about two more years of school the academy is just like 6 months or so anyway.

When I was about 10 I decided to become a police officer. Then I went on a ride along back in November.

Now I really really want to be a police officer! if that option was taken away I don't know what i would do because unlike my father I don't have the mechanical , engineering touch.

Comment

Originally posted by jc13 View Post

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Well, I think if you go for the Bachelors it will help you advance quicker in your career as an Officer. Guys with degrees tend to get promoted faster than guys who go the "on the job" route. I guess it depends on what type of work you want to be doing in law enforcement. An associates is probably more than enough if you want to be your standard officer out on the street/ in a squad car etc. But if you want to be a higher up, or a detective or something, then the Bachelor's degree is going to be helpful.

Also, like Al said, in the event that you no longer enjoy that line of work, you'll have something to help you move on to another career with the Bachelors.
          sigpic

Comment

Bachelor's just sounds so much cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
              I think some people just WANT to believe this to confirm their belief that college is a waste of time..
              I don't think continuing one's education is ever a waste of time. Even if they're doing it for nothing but the betterment of themselves. I just think people need to be clear on what having that degree is going to mean. Someone like yourself, trying to get involved in the Medical field, is going to HAVE to have a degree in that field no matter what. But someone who goes to college, majors in some vague degree like political science or English (two of the most popular majors selected) , and then wonders why they can't find a job anywhere, wasn't really going about their education the proper way. It just seems too many people go to college these days under the impression that if they get a degree they'll be set no matter what. It's a lot more complicated and difficult than that.
              sigpic

Comment

I really think a lot of this all depends on your course of study. I would sure hope you learn a lot in 4 years of college if you're studying chemical engineering. LOL

That being said, I'm a Business student and I have also worked many different jobs to help put myself through school. I feel like some classes, I've learned a lot; In other classes, I haven't really learned anything new that I haven't already experienced in the workforce.
                sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                  Well, I think if you go for the Bachelors it will help you advance quicker in your career as an Officer. Guys with degrees tend to get promoted faster than guys who go the "on the job" route. I guess it depends on what type of work you want to be doing in law enforcement. An associates is probably more than enough if you want to be your standard officer out on the street/ in a squad car etc. But if you want to be a higher up, or a detective or something, then the Bachelor's degree is going to be helpful.

Also, like Al said, in the event that you no longer enjoy that line of work, you'll have something to help you move on to another career with the Bachelors.
                  Yea that's more probably what I'm going to end up doing. Another two years of school sounds like a drag but in the long run I'm sure Ill benefit from it and the extra experience.

Plus in the field of work I'm looking to get into theirs a lot of competition. Id have to say that when the chief is looking to hire someone he or she probably chooses between someone with a bachelors or a veteran. Since I plan on going to an academy un-sponsored when I get out I will be freelance and more of a hot commodity because I will be ready to work and the agency wont have have to waste their money sending me to an academy.

Hopefully everything works out. Still have a long time to think of all that stuff :/

Comment

Going to college in a year and a half, I'm not planning so much for the education but more for the experience. I wouldn't tell my parents that but I'm going to live in the middle of the city of Charleston with my rich best friend and his house, and I CANNOT wait. I'm sure I will get some valuable experience and knowledge but I'm planning more for the fun side of it.

Then again, I've never been very motivated and just kind of roll by. My teachers like me for the most part as a person but as a student they hate me because I don't try very hard at all but still do better than most.

Also, I think that college has to help you. I'm taking a college-level literature class right now that's yearlong and in one semester we've written about 12 essays and read about 10 novels. I've for sure improved in my reading comprehension and writing skills, still not sure how it helps me in life.
                    Last edited by JaysusCutler; 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                      I don't think continuing one's education is ever a waste of time. Even if they're doing it for nothing but the betterment of themselves. I just think people need to be clear on what having that degree is going to mean. Someone like yourself, trying to get involved in the Medical field, is going to HAVE to have a degree in that field no matter what. But someone who goes to college, majors in some vague degree like political science or English (two of the most popular majors selected) , and then wonders why they can't find a job anywhere, wasn't really going about their education the proper way. It just seems too many people go to college these days under the impression that if they get a degree they'll be set no matter what. It's a lot more complicated and difficult than that.
                      Yeah but its also just bad timing... this is the bad time to be graduating from college.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                        I don't believe any so-called report from MSNBC. It is tabloid journalism designed to scare people about something that does not exist.

I am sure there are some students that slip throught he cracks. But I do not see how anyone going through an ABET cirriculum comes out of college with the belief they did not learn anything-- that is silly.
                        Ugh, I'd hope not. It's my home page!

I like the discussion, I have a love for opinions and such.

Speaking from personal experience, I believe, like others said, it is course of study, motivation, and the Institution itself.

I have a view of things like art history, philosophy, and theology. (If anybody majors in those on here, care to share why you are doing it? I haven't really discussed that)

In something like Chem, Bio, Economics, Political Science, Physics, heck, you learn something. I also think some athletes just breeze through.
                        I also think that the "you need a degree for a job" just has people going through the motions to get a degree, instead of passionately following something.
                        I am a bit of both. I am interested in politics and international stuff, so I chose political science, and I don't regret it, but I also chose it because I had a certain job spectrum in mind.

I think the best view is that "College is what you make of it." If you want to succeed, you do, if you don't, it's a waste of $$$$$$$.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't know about police departments, but a lot of fire departments are moving to require a bachelors in order to get a job. Plus like everyone else said, it might help you move up faster in the ranks. Good luck getting on a department... and walking on!
                          sigpic
                          Thanks Blondie79!
                          All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
                          Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
                          "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                            Yeah but its also just bad timing... this is the bad time to be graduating from college.
                            My mother once gave me some good advice: When the economy is good, get a job. When it's bad, get an education.

It's worked out pretty well so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              My mother once gave me some good advice: When the economy is good, get a job. When it's bad, get an education.

It's worked out pretty well so far.
                              lol. Thats basically correct... unless you are done with education and the economy is still bad

good luck ala

Comment

Working...
                              X