• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Students Not Learning Much

Anybody else worried about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41136935...ews-education/
    sigpic

i has to diagree mes lern alot in colege.

especialy my major.

english
    Now go get your shine box

Comment

Honestly id have to disagree to an extent.

I'm a sophomore in community college and during my stay Ive learned a lot especially in my major and in general ed.

Here's my theory.

How are we supposed to learn when school districts can't even afford to have school? Or even hire teachers.

My county is so broke its not even funny.

I also think it has to do with the individual.

College is this whole different beast.

Sometimes when people taste the freedom that comes with college it derails then to the point where they completely screw up.

Even with financial aid books are to damn expensive.

plus some teachers don't even teach!

I had a couple teachers who were just way to easy.

I had an advanced writing class that was 3 hours with this one teacher who was so easy it isn't even funny.

We would show up for 10 minutes and be excused.

He would let us create our own assignments.

Now he doesn't work there anymore lol.

There's a lot of problems in the school system. I'm glad I graduated high school before it got all messed up.
      Now go get your shine box

Comment

Especially with the economy being the way it is, a College degree is becoming less and less important anymore. People want verifiable experience first, and the degree is a bonus. The degree adds a bit of polish to the prospective employee, and makes them well rounded, but without the experience, there is still going to be a learning curve to any job/ industry for them, and in a job market like now, employers don't want to take the time to wait for them to catch up.

Especially in a College town like I live in, there is a glut of college graduates, and they end up flipping burgers and doing menial work to pay the bills because they are just one of many that have the piece of paper, but have never done the work that their degree pertains to.

It just seems like the whole higher learning thing has degraded to an extended version of high-school.
        Last edited by kishzilla; 01-18-2011, 08:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

That's why im glad for my degree recreation administration w a business minor Tennessee requires 2 120 hour internships and a 480hr one so I leave w my degree and experience, hopefully it helps

Also a lot of people go for dumb degrees and i agree some teachers are to easy
          Last edited by SBboundBRONCOS; 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM.
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
            That's why im glad for my degree recreation administration w a business minor Tennessee requires 2 120 hour internships and a 480hr one so I leave w my degree and experience, hopefully it helps

Also a lot of people go for dumb degrees Timothy and some teachers are to easy
            Yeah, I think internships and learning somehow in the field, is definitely helpful. The more the better. Any kind of work experience is helpful really. You'd be surprised at the different ways you can tie in work experience to a degree regardless of the field the work is in.
            sigpic

Comment

It all falls back on the student I think. I regret this, but I don't remember much from what I learned in marketing last semester. I worked full time so I only had the chance to study on weekends. I passed with an A because of memorization alone lol and a 15pg marketing plan.

Comment

Honestly I don't remember a lot of specifics from classes but the general emphasis on things is the main pt of college imo

U don't have to know definitions of obscure words you have to be able to put it into practice though, I would bet any Amy of money that if u took marketing again you would recall a whole bunch of material u disintegrated think u remembered otherwise
                sigpic
                -------

Comment

Lot of it is what students put into it.

Poor economy and many flooded degrees out there, like my history degree are hurting new graduates. I some how got a halfway decent paying job with it, but requires a lot of work, sometimes 80 hours a week, half of it sitting in a small, stuffy room.

At least I got 2 free trips to England out of this job.

CBS world news had a news but on out of college students, best advice is just find experience. Seems like a lot of things out there that may require a college degree you can learn at the job.

Pressure to attend college, factory work leaving, low interest in trades are big factors.
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't agree.... i don't see how someone can go to school and not learn much... after 4 years.

Comment

Depends on the major. Try going with a science major and not learning anything, because I know my Calc 2 Class builds on what I learned in Calc 1. Microbiology is building on what I learned in General Biology, and all the Chemistry classes build off each other.

Now if you go and get a generic history or business degree, where they don't really help you much these days, it probably isn't worth it.

The US is falling behind really bad in science and technology compared to other countries. Theres more foreigners coming here to get science degrees than Americans. After they get one of the best educations in the world, they go back to their home country. I just think America is too lazy to put forth the effort to go into science, because you don't have to be a genius, you just have to put forth effort into studying.
                      sigpic

Comment

Can't speak on behalf of the US as I'm not American, however, we're pretty much seeing the same scenario unfold in many western European countries. It's worrying to say the least.
                        Adopted Poster
                        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

They learned to get four loko banned in pennsylvania.

Comment

lol.

There's a full LOAD of issues you can go with on this.

A) I think if there's a problem in college, it's also largely stemming to the type of freshmen they're getting. Students are showing up more and more unprepared for college.

B) The article is talking largely from what I can tell about critical thinking, analysis, problem solving, etc.... not acquired knowledge. Thing is that it's really something that's hard to teach - either it's something you have the ability to be good at to begin with, and probably won't need much growth, just more knowledge... or it's something you're going to struggle with forever.

C) It talks about movement of students in terms of percentile. Um... are they really comparing students against students in these tests? That doesn't really test growth, because if you have 100 students, and they all double their critical thinking skills in two years, they will all come out with zero increase in their percentile on these tests. The tests they referred to seemed to take aim at what study habits were best, and tried to apply it to their general hypothesis, which aren't related. Here's what they came up with: Students who spend more time studying on their own learned more! Students who spent a lot of time hanging out with others.... didn't!

Wow.

As for the importance of a college degree... I think it depends. Yeah, you're going to have a bunch of graduates who end up flipping burgers - the economy sucks, and there's too much competition for good jobs. More unemployed (don't turn this into politics, please) combined with more people returning to college due to unemployment... fewer job openings... yikes. Log jam.

I moved out to where I'm at with 11 years experience in Hospitality... 4+ in Hospitality management. I couldn't get a job. If I'd had a degree in Business or Hospitality, that may have been different. I was too inexperienced for a management, and way too experienced to expect to stick around long as entry level. So I didn't even get a shot.

Now I'm going back to college to be a programmer of some sort. I definitely need a degree for that. I've looked at what job openings there are for such degrees... and the best jobs require several years experience on top of a degree. Can't even really get a base level programming job without a degree most times. Have to start somewhere.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where I end up. I need to get with Career services at my school and find out what areas specifically in the industry are strong in my area... and where I may be able to get my foot in the door after a few years college.

Oh... last note... As a part time student with 10 credit hours last semester, I had two classes which routinely gave me more than 40 pages of reading a week... and both also had more than 20 pages of writing. The other was a computer class.

This semester, not so much... two computer courses and Calc.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Oh... last note... As a part time student with 10 credit hours last semester, I had two classes which routinely gave me more than 40 pages of reading a week... and both also had more than 20 pages of writing. The other was a computer class.
                              only 40... damn. Wish I had classes like that.

All my classes ranged 200 - 400 pages a week per class. It was a information overload. Lot of it I don't remember, but had a professor who once said "History is a subject where you retain less than you learn."

Which makes me feel better.

And quite a bit of those readings were pointless to the class itself.

Oh well. I'm done.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X