Painting straight lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting straight lines?

So what is the best way to paint a straight line?

I got permission from my superior to have my own little man cave. We bought a house almost a year ago after I sold off some inheritance. Nothing fancy. Pretty small house but good for 2 people.

anyways, I painted the room navy blue and the trip white. In the center of the walls I want to paint a white bar with two smaller orange bar trims.

like this

I have tried using "painters tape" the blue stuff that does not leave a stick residue like a lot of tapes. My problem is taping it to the wall and making the lines straight and parallel. Can't seem to do it.

Any advice? trips? tricks? secrets?

Ordered a Bronco fathead and made some shelving to display some of my Bronco gear.

Spray painted the steam heater brass to give it a touch of steam punk.
    sigpic

Chalk line.

Laser level.

Laser levels are like 20 bucks at Home Depot and work pretty well.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I may try laser. But can't touch chalk or get near the stuff. Start to have an asthma attack and I break out in a rash.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Definitely laser level. Get one that suctions to the wall, they're pretty slick. They also can go around corners now, which blows my mind.

Also, don't skimp and buy the cheap painter's tape. You'll be happy you bought the better stuff. I like the frog tape, it has a cute logo.

Comment

I used the blue tape even for painting controllers... meh.. i don't care about the frog ones... if you know what you're doing, you don't need to dish out extra green for the green tape

but yeah laser level definitely... or just measure the points from the ceiling/floor every 3 feet and put the tape on that line you made with the points.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
              I used the blue tape even for painting controllers... meh.. i don't care about the frog ones... if you know what you're doing, you don't need to dish out extra green for the green tape

but yeah laser level definitely... or just measure the points from the ceiling/floor every 3 feet and put the tape on that line you made with the points.
              I use approximately 4 times the amount of paint you're supposed to

I can paint a car like a professional, but I paint walls like a 7 year old.

Comment

Working...
              X