COMPUTER peeps..I need an mkv converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMPUTER peeps..I need an mkv converter

Basically the title says it all, this isnt for pirating ro any other "suspicious" activity. I ripped some movies of mine and have downloaded some legal stuff off some websites and a lot of it came as mkv, I have tried OjoSoft and some other google options....does anyone have anything they would recommend?

Thank you in advance

I use convertTOx.

http://www.vso-software.fr/
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Handbrake is what I use.

http://handbrake.fr/
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

What's wrong with MKV? I think it's fine.

Comment

What are you trying to do with the mkv files that you need them to be converted?

This has a bearing on what programs are best suited...
          sigpic

Comment

Us old folks just use a typewriter or have our grandkids color a pretty picture.

Converting files these days is weird for me. I never knew so many options were out there.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
              Basically the title says it all, this isnt for pirating ro any other "suspicious" activity. I ripped some movies of mine and have downloaded some legal stuff off some websites and a lot of it came as mkv, I have tried OjoSoft and some other google options....does anyone have anything they would recommend?

Thank you in advance

If your burning it to a DVD, look here
              up all night trying to burn .MKV to DVD!!!!

Comment

This may help. Maybe
                I really like Cheese.

Comment

converting MKV is a crapshoot at best. Theres so much information in them that most of the time when you convert, the movie does not come out watchable. The video and audio files are separate in them for one. The link that Cory posted is the best one I've used.

You're better off dlin the divx matroska codecs and watching them on the computer. http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx...codec-pack/mkv Divx differs from a lot of other codecs because it takes a lot of the load off the cpu and puts it on your graphics card(s).

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                    What are you trying to do with the mkv files that you need them to be converted?

This has a bearing on what programs are best suited...
                    Trying to eventually watch said files on my ps3

Does that help at all?

Comment

Does that help at all?
                      yes

look here
                      How To Play MKV Files On Playstation 3

Comment

Originally posted by bahn View Post
                        Ill check the link, I know HOW to play them I just need a good converter to convert them to avi or something else

Comment

Ill check the link, I know HOW to play them I just need a good converter to convert them to avi or something else
                          I used to mess around with TVersity, and media center streaming to my xbox. I ended up just getting a 20' DVI -> HDMI cable and now I just play the files directly and move them over to my TV. Zero hassle.

Comment

Does that help at all?
                            Just stream them to your PS3. Do you have a wireless network? If so, download a program called "PS3 Media Server" and it is a nearly seamless interface between your computer and your PS3. It allows you to navigate all of your computer's drives, and then uses the computer to stream the video to the PS3 so there is no conversion necessary. If your computer can play the file, then your PS3 will play it. Why spend time converting files when you can just watch them? lol

Here is the download mirror:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaser...1.exe&can=2&q=

Not only will you be able to play your MKV files, but you'll be able to look at all your photos, listen to all of your music etc, and all while never taking up any space on your PS3 HD. Now one caveat is, if it's a really large High Definition movie, then it will be jittery using wirelss, so just plug your computer in to the ps3 with an ethernet cable, or, there is also an option to download the file straight to the PS3. The beauty part? If it's an mkv it'll convert it for you. :thumb:

PS3 Media Server is the best
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                              Just stream them to your PS3. Do you have a wireless network? If so, download a program called "PS3 Media Server" and it is a nearly seamless interface between your computer and your PS3. It allows you to navigate all of your computer's drives, and then uses the computer to stream the video to the PS3 so there is no conversion necessary. If your computer can play the file, then your PS3 will play it. Why spend time converting files when you can just watch them? lol

Here is the download mirror:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaser...1.exe&can=2&q=

Not only will you be able to play your MKV files, but you'll be able to look at all your photos, listen to all of your music etc, and all while never taking up any space on your PS3 HD. Now one caveat is, if it's a really large High Definition movie, then it will be jittery using wirelss, so just plug your computer in to the ps3 with an ethernet cable, or, there is also an option to download the file straight to the PS3. The beauty part? If it's an mkv it'll convert it for you. :thumb:

PS3 Media Server is the best
                              You just sold me on that... not sure how often I'll use it seeing as my PS3 and computer are both hooked up to the tv, but it will be nice to have the option.

EDIT: Unless you want the slowest DVD viewing experience possible... Do not attempt to watch a DVD that is in the computer's optical drive... I'm not real sure why I just tried that, other than I seen that it can be done... It is painfully slow
                              Last edited by Frenchy180; 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM.

sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X