No announcement yet.

Poll: Aid for college students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem (in my eyes) is that it would cost so much money to give food assistance to every college student. It sounds like a good idea, but it would leave to even more people abusing the system.

The financial situation of most college student is pretty rough. I remember it all too well. Lots of ramen and cup o' noodles... but you have to do what you have to do.
    sigpic
    Thanks Blondie79!
    All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
    Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
    "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Comment

I actually used food stamps for several months towards the end of my college career to get by.

I was a "non-traditional student" ( I didnt start school until I was 24) and didn't apply for food stamps until I was 27.

I was living on campus, paying my housing and tuition with Pell Grants and Student Loans, and working for the Science Dept 20 hours a week at minimum wage and taking extra driving work ( Geology 101 tours to Estes Park), and making 300 dollars a month.

The small balance left over from paying my tuition I used to buy a partial meal plan (50 meals), pay my car insurance and buy my books and some clothes. After that, there is not much left.

But living on campus, with 1/2 my meals paid, and having 300 dollars to spend on food and toiletries and paying a couple of entrance fee's into country dance clubs a couple times a month was fine.

Then I got sick and suddenly I had more bills than my measly income could handle. So I cut back to part-time, took on more work, got some incompletes on classes I needed to start paying my bills, and they still sued me.

So to make more room in my impossibly tight budget, I went and got food stamps. I got 3 months worth. I moved to Indiana 2 months into it and gave my card to my best friend (another struggling college student) for a month so she could buy food.

So I would say yes. But the same rules should apply for food stamps for students that apply for getting college aid. After the age of 24, you are totally on your own, and your parents income no longer is taken into consideration when applying for aid.

So if you are a 19 year old student applying for food stamps, your folks better be close to being on them as well to get them.
      sigpic
      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
      -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
        I actually used food stamps for several months towards the end of my college career to get by.

I was a "non-traditional student" ( I didnt start school until I was 24) and didn't apply for food stamps until I was 27.

I was living on campus, paying my housing and tuition with Pell Grants and Student Loans, and working for the Science Dept 20 hours a week at minimum wage and taking extra driving work ( Geology 101 tours to Estes Park), and making 300 dollars a month.

The small balance left over from paying my tuition I used to buy a partial meal plan (50 meals), pay my car insurance and buy my books and some clothes. After that, there is not much left.

But living on campus, with 1/2 my meals paid, and having 300 dollars to spend on food and toiletries and paying a couple of entrance fee's into country dance clubs a couple times a month was fine.

Then I got sick and suddenly I had more bills than my measly income could handle. So I cut back to part-time, took on more work, got some incompletes on classes I needed to start paying my bills, and they still sued me.

So to make more room in my impossibly tight budget, I went and got food stamps. I got 3 months worth. I moved to Indiana 2 months into it and gave my card to my best friend (another struggling college student) for a month so she could buy food.

So I would say yes. But the same rules should apply for food stamps for students that apply for getting college aid. After the age of 24, you are totally on your own, and your parents income no longer is taken into consideration when applying for aid.

So if you are a 19 year old student applying for food stamps, your folks better be close to being on them as well to get them.
        Almost sounds like age discrimination and giving to the poor in a social way but, it makes a ton sense. I was non traditional. Church closet Saturdays, 1o c, woot woot. The esteem killing food bank ugh. Never ever went to the blood bank OMG.
        marcus_miller
        Special Teams
        Last edited by marcus_miller; 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM.
        I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

I don't think so... There are much more deserving people than college students. It's not like college students are starving... they just aren't eating right.

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
            I don't think so... There are much more deserving people than college students. It's not like college students are starving... they just aren't eating right.
            Yeah, and let's be real. College students aren't the most responsible people on earth. Looking back, the food i bought was horrible for me. Not because good food was too expensive, but because i was 19 and ate whatever I wanted to. How mad would people be if you increased their taxes to give college students aid, then the students turned around and did what college students do... drink and party.
            sigpic
            Thanks Blondie79!
            All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
            Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
            "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Comment

Originally posted by GatorChomp View Post
              Yeah, and let's be real. College students aren't the most responsible people on earth. Looking back, the food i bought was horrible for me. Not because good food was too expensive, but because i was 19 and ate whatever I wanted to. How mad would people be if you increased their taxes to give college students aid, then the students turned around and did what college students do... drink and party.
              This is in Michigan. The worst state in the union. I understand what your saying, but I have to let everyone know that Michigan takes out 5 or 6% from every one of your paychecks. So if I go to school to make on average $20,000 a year higher than if I didn't have my degree, then I am paying a lot more taxes back to the state. If you receive 5 years of food assistance here, you will have payed all of that back to the state in 3 or 4 years. I'm not sure if most of you are in Colorado but thats why I'm saying I know its a deep issue and state specific. I've lived in Florida, Texas, Delaware, and Michigan. Michigan is by far the worst. Its consistently rated the worst state on many websites for a reason. Thats a whole different story but I'm warning anyone who ponders moving here. It will drain your soul! LOL No seriously, its a very negative atmosphere here. Too many people have a chip on their shoulder and aren't very friendly. Must be the brutal cold weather. I'd take Colorado any day over Michigan! Florida has its share of problems but its still the best place I've lived so far.
              teutonic7777
              Practice Squad
              Last edited by teutonic7777; 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X