The Official Gearhead (Automotive) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Gearhead (Automotive) Thread

I have been meaning to start a thread like this for a while now. Well I am finally doing it. This is the official thread to talk about everything automotive. This can be everything from paint jobs, modifications, or repairs to a simple oil change or everyday maintenance. I know we have a what you drive thread, which can be found here.....http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=170050 .....but this is about other things than that.

Offer your help to others with domestic or import rides.

Ask others for their help or intake on things as well.

Lets talk cars people!!

I am sure there are a few other gearheads out there like me who could spend all day in a garage getting their fingernails and skin all oiled up with some 10W or 5W. So lets talk about it!

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Great idea.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

a dude at my school (highschool) his dad baught him a 2011 camaro v6 talk about getting your kid ready for the future
      sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
        a dude at my school (highschool) his dad baught him a 2011 camaro v6 talk about getting your kid ready for the future
        Yeah, getting him ready for having things handed to him on a silver platter.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          Great idea.
          Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
          Meh... it's just a 6....

Originally posted by Broncoholic JS View Post

I am sure there are a few other gearheads out there like me who could spend all day in a garage getting their fingernails and skin all oiled up with some 10W or 5W. So lets talk about it!
          Meh... prefer to have my shop full of techs do that.
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
            Meh... it's just a 6....

cmon even if its a 4 having a camaro at 17 years old is something...
            sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

I know very little about cars but:

I LIKE TO DRIVE FAST
              sigpic

Comment

This jumped the track quick ...

In another life, I was a professional mechanic. Owned my own shop and employed on the average of 4 techs. Automatic trannys and fuel injection systems were our specialty, but the electronics and carbs differentials, engines, etc made our living. The electronics got me into the information technology industry that I am in now back in the early eighties.

I still build/rebuild/restore/own old Ford F100 pickups and Shark bodied 68-82 Corvettes.
                Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                sigpic
                I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I bought my 1980 Z/28 camaro when I was 17, although I got it for 3k, with 136k miles on it, and it ran rather poorly. Also, the guy I bought if from was getting a divorce, and he told me that he'd rather some teenager get it than his wife. Although he didn't really use the word 'wife'.

So, my first order of business was to jet the carb for the altitude. Its a sea level car, so it was running pretty rich for Denver. After I did that it stopped belching black smoke when I started her up, and ran much more smoothly.

Not more than a few months after I bought it, I blew a head gasket. Most likely due to the fact I was 17 and had a camaro, but when i took the engine apart, I noticed that their wasn't an actual gasket, but gasket maker/repair paste. So I decided I should probably just rebuild the whole thing and see what I had to work with. Luckily at this time I got a pay raise in my landscaping job so I had a little cash to burn.

So during that whole process, I bored the engine out .10 over, it was a 350 to start with, now its around 360 or so. I replaced the stock pistons for aluminum pistons, swapped out the stock cam for an Eskandarian cam with some pretty advanced timing. Finished it up with roller rockers, an edelbrock intake, and a new exhaust system. The carb that it had when I bought it was a Edelbrock 4bbl 650cfm, so i was pretty happy with that.

So now i've had that car for 10 years, still runs great. I would like to someday upgrade the tranny from the muncie m21 4spd it has now to a 6spd out of the 4th gen camaros, a project in the making I suppose.

It gets 10 highway, but I have managed to get 19-20 mpg highway on it a few times during long drives.

I've had a lot of fun with that car over the years, has been a great hobby and learning experience. Its fun when the improvements you make to a car have a noticeable effect! Some of the best times in my life have been spent lying underneath that car.
                  Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                  Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Just did my first brake job over the weekend (on my 07 Civic)! My right front brake started to squeal a few days ago and rather than fork money over to someone else to do it, thought I'd give it a try. After some admittedly colorful adjectives directed at some reluctant bolts, I am pleased to say that the job was done with relative ease and $35 bucks!
                    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                    FF is awesome!

Comment

I have an 1995 impala ss did plenty of stuff to it, but now I can't afford a bodyjob....suck I think I'll part it out this summer....

At least I have my tacoma to ride in...(sight)
                      Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
                      -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                        Just did my first brake job over the weekend (on my 07 Civic)! My right front brake started to squeal a few days ago and rather than fork money over to someone else to do it, thought I'd give it a try. After some admittedly colorful adjectives directed at some reluctant bolts, I am pleased to say that the job was done with relative ease and $35 bucks!
                        For your 35$ did you machine the rotors? or is that just for the pads, I imagine just the pads right. Did you lube the sliders? did you open the bleeders before pushing back the pistons so you weren't shoving crap back up your lines? Good thing you didn't waist money paying someone to do it right because you won't get half the mileage out of your pad slap as when the car was new so you will be doing it again soon.
                        sigpic
                        I Adopt #77 well damn!
                        Milla Da QB Killa' #77
                        Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
                          For your 35$ did you machine the rotors? or is that just for the pads, I imagine just the pads right. Did you lube the sliders? did you open the bleeders before pushing back the pistons so you weren't shoving crap back up your lines? Good thing you didn't waist money paying someone to do it right because you won't get half the mileage out of your pad slap as when the car was new so you will be doing it again soon.
                          Wow. Seriously?

I said it was my first brake job on my car, not my first time working on my vehicles. I have a motorcycle I've done quite a bit of work on, and have also not been afraid to work on my cars before now.

Clearly you've passed judgment on me and aren't truly interested in the answers to your "questions." I may not be a professional mechanic such as yourself, but like to do for myself what I can, particularly when it comes to saving some money. You assumed that I view paying a professional as "waste" among your other assumptions - a sentiment I in no way indicated.

Thanks for sharing your vitriol, though. :thumb:
                          Last edited by Flatlander Fan; 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM.
                          FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                            Wow. Seriously?

I said it was my first brake job on my car, not my first time working on my vehicles. I have a motorcycle I've done quite a bit of work on, and have also not been afraid to work on my cars before now.

Clearly you've passed judgment on me and aren't truly interested in the answers to your "questions." I may not be a professional mechanic such as yourself, but like to do for myself what I can, particularly when it comes to saving some money. You assumed that I view paying a professional as "waste" among your other assumptions - a sentiment I in no way indicated.

Thanks for sharing your vitriol, though. :thumb:
                            I really don't care if you like it or not, if you did machine your rotors and got pads for 35$ then good for you and I apologize for offending you, but although I understand the need to save money there are way too many people who work on there car who shouldn't be because they have no clue how to do it correctly and safely and I haft to drive on the same roads with these people.

I have never ripped off a customer or lied about the severity of the condition of the safety of a persons vehicle, but yet all I hear about is how mechanics rip people off and overcharge for everything. Most people spend more money on there cell phones than they are willing to spend on there car, people will pay a lawyer $200 an hour to get out of a $50 parking ticket before paying a mechanic to fix there car. So if I'm a little sensitive and tired of driving by accidents with dead people in the road because "there brakes failed" I'm sorry.
                            sigpic
                            I Adopt #77 well damn!
                            Milla Da QB Killa' #77
                            Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
                              I really don't care if you like it or not, if you did machine your rotors and got pads for 35$ then good for you and I apologize for offending you, but although I understand the need to save money there are way too many people who work on there car who shouldn't be because they have no clue how to do it correctly and safely and I haft to drive on the same roads with these people.

I have never ripped off a customer or lied about the severity of the condition of the safety of a persons vehicle, but yet all I hear about is how mechanics rip people off and overcharge for everything. Most people spend more money on there cell phones than they are willing to spend on there car, people will pay a lawyer $200 an hour to get out of a $50 parking ticket before paying a mechanic to fix there car. So if I'm a little sensitive and tired of driving by accidents with dead people in the road because "there brakes failed" I'm sorry.
                              Man, if you're that sensitive to having anyone other than a pro talk about working on their vehicles maybe you should steer clear of this thread. I would imagine most of the posters here aren't going to meet your criteria for qualified wrenchers.
                              FF is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X