Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Gearhead (Automotive) Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I agree, not only does working on your own car save you money...it's a very rewarding feeling. I recently started changing my own oil and as a result I use full synthetic and still pay less than what most places charge for regular oil changes.

    Unfortunately everything I have learned about cars I've learned online. My Dad is not a handyman in any sense, so I was forced to look elsewhere for info (luckily I can turn to my Dad when I have questions about my profession). I have changed my rotors, brake pads, starter, intake, shifter, shifter bushings, etc...all using good 'ol common sense or info I found online. It's definitely a great feeling!
    My other love...
    sigpic
    305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
      I agree, not only does working on your own car save you money...it's a very rewarding feeling. I recently started changing my own oil and as a result I use full synthetic and still pay less than what most places charge for regular oil changes.

      Unfortunately everything I have learned about cars I've learned online. My Dad is not a handyman in any sense, so I was forced to look elsewhere for info (luckily I can turn to my Dad when I have questions about my profession). I have changed my rotors, brake pads, starter, intake, shifter, shifter bushings, etc...all using good 'ol common sense or info I found online. It's definitely a great feeling!
      Hmm. What kind of synthetic are you using because mine costs 60 bucks just for the oil
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
        Hmm. What kind of synthetic are you using because mine costs 60 bucks just for the oil
        Wow, I use Mobil 1 and it's like $30 at Walmart for a 5 gallon jug. I guess I was exaggerating a bit because once you add the oil filter it's more than a standard oil change.
        My other love...
        sigpic
        305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
          Wow, I use Mobil 1 and it's like $30 at Walmart for a 5 gallon jug. I guess I was exaggerating a bit because once you add the oil filter it's more than a standard oil change.
          I get 6 quarts of Royal Purple and a Royal Purple oil filter. It comes out to about 70 bucks but its totally worth it. I definitely suggest trying it
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
            I get 6 quarts of Royal Purple and a Royal Purple oil filter. It comes out to about 70 bucks but its totally worth it. I definitely suggest trying it
            Honestly, it's hard for me to justify spending almost twice as much when I know Mobil 1 is a good brand. I feel I'm already taking the extra step in getting full synthetic. I will definitely keep the Royal Purple in mind though in case I ever become dissatisfied with Mobil 1.
            My other love...
            sigpic
            305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
              Honestly, it's hard for me to justify spending almost twice as much when I know Mobil 1 is a good brand. I feel I'm already taking the extra step in getting full synthetic. I will definitely keep the Royal Purple in mind though in case I ever become dissatisfied with Mobil 1.
              I used to run only Royal Purple in my 350 (combination of money invested and how hard I drive it). Last year I had a duplicate short block made for a back up in case I detonate my current motor, so I switched from Royal Purple to Penzoil (been using Penzoil my whole life). It feels good not having to pay over fifty dollars to change my own oil. Royal Purple is easily the best oil on the market, but if your just running a plain jane engine at low RPM's it's really not worth it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                I get 6 quarts of Royal Purple and a Royal Purple oil filter. It comes out to about 70 bucks but its totally worth it. I definitely suggest trying it
                What do you drive Venom? I kind of agree with spice on this one if I am honest. Unless you are hard on your motor there isn't really any reason to spend 70 bucks on a synthetic oil. I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic as well at my dad's (mechanic) recommendation. That being said I used to drive a Toyota Avalon. Now a days I drive my BRZ pretty hard so i may end up upgrading the oil too.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
                  What do you drive Venom? I kind of agree with spice on this one if I am honest. Unless you are hard on your motor there isn't really any reason to spend 70 bucks on a synthetic oil. I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic as well at my dad's (mechanic) recommendation. That being said I used to drive a Toyota Avalon. Now a days I drive my BRZ pretty hard so i may end up upgrading the oil too.
                  Mustang. And I dont mind spending 70 bucks on the oil, so its not really a big deal to me. A majority of the fluids in my car are royal purple
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X