San Francisco man becomes first in history to be ‘cured’ of AIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco man becomes first in history to be ‘cured’ of AIDS

Timothy Ray Brown, a 45-year-old San Francisco man previously known to the medical community as “the Berlin patient,” has become the first person to ever be cured of AIDS.

After a stem cell bone marrow transplant, doctors say his HIV, the infection which causes AIDS, was eradicated.

His bone marrow donor was one of a very small percentage of people who are immune to HIV. He received a second bone marrow transplant after a resurgence of Leukemia, which he’s also since been cured of.

Doctors still aren’t exactly sure what part of his treatment allowed his body to purge the virus, but clinical trials are scheduled to begin in 2012.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/20...cured-of-aids/

This is great news now lets hope they perfect it!
    Now go get your shine box

Interesting...

We will see if it comes back as well as why this happened...

Hopefully it's not just a freak event where the guy's body just handled it differently than others...

Comment

Wow that crazy wish this couldve been done for some ppl I know who've died from aids

Comment

This would be HUGE and just for the aids people

Currently our medical capabilities suck with viruses. We can treat/cure bacteria and other infections. But when it comes to viruses we are clueless. If we really are able to treat this guy and cure him. We now have a Monumental stepping stone on how to attack/eradicate other viruses.

One thing I really find interesting about all of this is the fact that he had aids and luekemia together and both are cured. Back in Highschool for my science fair project I proposed that if we could code the DNA of the Aids virus and attach the protein bonds to it initially it would be unable to reproduce. However, the virus would still be able to penetrate and kill of cells. The Aids virus kills off white blood cells.

Now- Luekemia is the production of too many white blood cells. So i theorized that if we could keep the aids virus from reproducing as well as inject it into a persons body with luekemia that potentially the person would be cured of leukemia by the aids virus. And the person would also not have aids either as we already put the protein bonds onto the virus itself..

(the virus-most all- attach to cells in our body by little protein bonds- then the virus injects its dna into the cell making factory of the cell and instead of new regular cells coming out- new virus cells come out. So by attaching the protein bonds to the virus already, it would not be able to latch on to the cells for reproduction but it would still seek out the white blood cells and be able to destroy them because of the dead weight)

Of course if I was right they would have done it by now. But the sheer fact that we are closer and he had both things and is now cured of them is a pretty cool thought.
        So far:
        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Crazy stuff. If I was him, I think now would be the time to try walking on water.
          sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Good for him I hope he takes better care of himself and lives a long healthy life...

"January 25, 1998: The night God answered our prayers

Comment

Scientists said Brown received stem cells from a donor who was immune to HIV. In fact, about one percent of Caucasians are immune to HIV.

Both doctors stressed that Brown’s radical procedure may not be applicable to many other people with HIV, because of the difficulty in doing stem cell transplants, and finding the right donor.

“You don’t want to go out and get a bone marrow transplant because transplants themselves carry a real risk of mortality,” Volberding said.

“One element of his treatment, and we don’t know which, allowed apparently the virus to be purged from his body,” he observed. “So it’s going to be an interesting, I think productive area to study.”
              Good luck finding that 1% of white males to farm for marrow stem cells.

Also, it's really odd they have no clue how it seemingly "purged" the virus. Maybe the virus is not gone but dormant and undetectable in it's current state.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
                Good luck finding that 1% of white males to farm for marrow stem cells.

Also, it's really odd they have no clue how it seemingly "purged" the virus. Maybe the virus is not gone but dormant and undetectable in it's current state.
                I'm not an expert, but isnt this when stuff like stem cells come into play?

Maybe they can clone this guys bone marrow.
                Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by jc13 View Post
                  I'm not an expert, but isnt this when stuff like stem cells come into play?

Maybe they can clone this guys bone marrow.
                  They harvest stem cells from the marrow, and then transplant those cells into an unhealthy individual. Just like someone who needs an organ can't just get any organ, it's the same with a marrow transplant. You need to have the same tissue type as the donor.

As of now, there is no way to clone stem cells.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X