X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Thread

Do It Yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_it_yourself
    Do it yourself (or DIY) is a term used to describe building, modifying, or repairing of something without the aid of experts or professionals. The phrase "do it yourself" came into common usage in the 1950s in reference to home improvement projects which people might choose to complete independently.
    Share with us what projects you guys are currently working on,plan on doing or want to do !!

I've been meaning to make this thread since last summer but until just recently I've not had the time...I thought it would be nice to have a thread to document home projects to share in our successes,to laugh at our failures and most importantly from the professionals to the intermediate and beginners alike a place to ask questions

The boards have members that come from all walks of life and I'm sure if we're about to tackle a project that someone on here can lend a hand and offer some advise ...

I hope by making this thread it will encourage others to get things done and share with us your progress..As some of you are all ready aware of all though home projects can be daunting...They also can be very rewarding as well and once accomplished becomes a part and chapter in our lives ...

I hope you guys want to participate in this thread and tht we're able to cover as much as possible from all areas of carpentry,woodworking,painting,plumbing,electricit y,masonry anything that you would encounter around the house or DIY...For instants I have a general knowledge of carpentry and finishing ... However in the world of plumbing and electricity,masonry not so much ... So when I get ready to jump in them areas I thought It would be great to have a place where you guys could offer up some advise ...

A few months back one the members suggested to me that I knew something about working on cars and my reply was ... I've never had the choice .. I don't to want come off as trying to be a jack of all trades as can assure everyone that they're is not a single project that I don't need or at one time needed a helping hand on..

Over the next couple of months I will be doing a number of projects from residing my house,renovating an old garage,Installing new countertops and remolding a bathroom..It would be extremely rewarding for me to share and document my progress with you guys after all I consider this community as family..BTW the last two projects I've got listed would've all ready been done if not for confidence that I could do them right..It seems everything leaks at my house..Atm the best way I have to fix said problems is the bucket underneath ! lol

As mentioned above as I said about DIY and automobiles and never having a choice..I was never one to tackle things around the house..I was brought up to be intimidated by such things and even though I got a very knowledgeable family I was sorta left behind and not shown things ... But over the years little by little and still to this day I'm learning ...If my knowledge in life on anything only matched my work ethic ....

I plan on giving this thread a solid effort as explanation to the long opening I apologize for any grammar mistakes made..

To Be Continued ...
    Last edited by LarryDean; 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM.
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

What a great idea for a thread....

Can't wait to see this take off!
    sigpic
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

The first part I want to start with is How to Read a Tape Measure

For as many of us that all ready know how to..There is just as many of us from all levels of education that don't..

This is a great and simple to understand learning video !

Get the basics down and the more you work with a tape measure the quicker you then become at identify the measurement ..Its just like learning anything else..If I have to count 1 3 5 7 I would much rather do that that not know how to do it at all ...

I didn't know how to read a tape measure even though I was aware of the sizes because of standard wrench and socket sets until put on the spot at work and even though I can look back and laugh now back then it was not only bad but embarrassing as well ..So in a way minus the education level at one time I'm sorta like the guy being described in this video..Don't be that guy
      Last edited by LarryDean; 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
        What a great idea for a thread....

Can't wait to see this take off!
        Thanks man !!

I've got pictures of the areas I plan on working on !! If I'm able to fix the things needed I will be super excited to share the before and after with you guys ...!!! I posted this yesterday in the cafe and even though it wasn't the first door I ever hung myself It by far caused me the most problems ...But once was all said and done I was really happy with what I accomplished !!

Last edited by LarryDean; 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Love the thread idea, LD! I'm an avid DIY'er and always have some kind of project in the works. I'm no expert, but over the years have developed proficiency in many areas of home maintenance and renovation. Guess that happens when you live in a 100+ year old farmhouse.

I also like to tackle basic vehicle maintenance tasks (as I have noted in another thread recently to rave reviews ).

This holiday weekend is going to be spent finishing and painting the interior trim on 10 of the 18 windows I just got done replacing.

I helped my brother in law reside his house a few years ago. It's kinda like installing hardwood flooring or roofing - make sure you're square to start and everything just kind of falls into place from there (ok, so maybe it's not quite that simple).
          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
          FF is awesome!

Comment

I am making my son 2 ghillie suits. One is grassland and the other is snow/arctic. I am almost done with the grassland one. Once I finish that I will make me one. Then I will go ahead and do the arctic one for him.

So far it is super sick!!
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
              Love the thread idea, LD! I'm an avid DIY'er and always have some kind of project in the works. I'm no expert, but over the years have developed proficiency in many areas of home maintenance and renovation. Guess that happens when you live in a 100+ year old farmhouse.
              Thnks man I knew you can contribute

I remember the storm damage you had a while back ...I Loved being able to look at your home and just recently the pics of the green house you posted was awesome !! I know exactly what you mean about living in a old house except the upkeep part outside of just here and there I've really only recently begun and I'm learning a lot of things on the fly ... Man I'll ask silly sounding questions and as many as possible like a sponge trying to pick up wht I can..

If I remember correctly BM 69 and his 69 years of living is a handyman himself

Its weird the things I retain I guess I even remember Peanut having trouble with water drainage and a fallen tree

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
              I am making my son 2 ghillie suits. One is grassland and the other is snow/arctic. I am almost done with the grassland one. Once I finish that I will make me one. Then I will go ahead and do the arctic one for him.

So far it is super sick!!
              That is cool I had to google what a ghillie suit was..

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Ghillie_Suit

I hope that is correct ... Anything to do with sewing,stitching and upholstery I would look silly trying to thread the needle..I've wanted to patch my jeans before but was worried I couldn't even do that right ...If possible post some pics !!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post

I hope that is correct ... Anything to do with sewing,stitching and upholstery I would look silly trying to thread the needle..I've wanted to patch my jeans before but was worried I couldn't even do that right ...If possible post some pics !!

yeah...here is what they look like when done..http://www.google.com/search?q=ghill...2&ved=0CFUQsAQ

I will post pics of his when I am done. It actually is not hard to do. Just a little sewing with needle and dental floss and some glue. The hardest part is just the time it takes and tying on jute/burlap or whatever one decides to use. Takes a lot of time.
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                  Thnks man I knew you can contribute

I remember the storm damage you had a while back ...I Loved being able to look at your home and just recently the pics of the green house you posted was awesome !! I know exactly what you mean about living in a old house except the upkeep part outside of just here and there I've really only recently begun and I'm learning a lot of things on the fly ... Man I'll ask silly sounding questions and as many as possible like a sponge trying to pick up wht I can..

If I remember correctly BM 69 and his 69 years of living is a handyman himself

Its weird the things I retain I guess I even remember Peanut having trouble with water drainage and a fallen tree

You have a good memory.

The bolded. That's what I'm good at.

I hate mending, though.

Good thread, LD!
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                    yeah...here is what they look like when done..http://www.google.com/search?q=ghill...2&ved=0CFUQsAQ

I will post pics of his when I am done. It actually is not hard to do. Just a little sewing with needle and dental floss and some glue. The hardest part is just the time it takes and tying on jute/burlap or whatever one decides to use. Takes a lot of time.
                    Your family hunts and that's the purpose behind the suit ? I found this interesting because I learned something from it !

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    You have a good memory.

I hate mending, though.!
                    Hmm mending

Why so ? and what exactly is mending ? I mean I can kinda tell by word definition but how does it pertain ?

Is quilts your specialty by chance ?...Do you do pillows,furnishings etc ..What style do you do the most of like an Americana or more of a middle eastern print ? Also one last question

If I was just starting what advise would give in simple form ?

I ask because I'm interested and I really thank you guys for posting about what your DIY projects are !!!

Comment

I'm renovating an old garage that was imo nearly dilapidated...

The Barn is made of old oak that like electric poles was oiled stained its made out of true lumber a 2x4 for instance is just that 2 inches and unlike white pine this stuff is solid and today would be to expensive for a common building material such as framing and trusses but I'm not really sure about that if anyone wld have some more insight on ...

The family before me was the original owners and builders and whoever that man was long since gone was one heck of a man to see how this thing was built is amazing compared to today's building standards ...

When starting this project I knew showing the old wood would make the task that much harder but I also was thinking down the road if there was leaks which would be easier to replace a 22 inch panel or a 4x8 sheet ...I decided to be religious about not covering up the old wood ...

Here was my starting point last summer after I threw massive amounts of junk away and endless amounts of sweeping ..

Here is the 1st and 2nd room I have previously posted these pics before however I never the chance to give them their own thread this time last here I was on a 533 mhz cpu ..The wood used on the floor and as trim is 100 % recovered and cost me nothing !

I spent most of the day out there meddling around I have before after pics of wht I did today rdy to post but also don't what to tie up anything but football for those whom mite not be interested more so then what I alrdy have

Comment

Great thread, I'm goin to the movies but when I get back I'll add a crapton of pics! I'm a huge DIYer.

Comment

Hey LD.........I am a lousy DIYer.....oddly enough my Dad was one of the finest carpenters in this city.

Anyway....just want to congratulate you for being so handy and resourceful. You have some real talent to be proud of.

Comment

So I posted this the other day but it pertains to this thread probably more.

I wanted one of these real bad:

Well, those are $2000. There was no way in hell I was gunna pay that kinda dough. So I built this instead:

It's all made from plywood and dimensional lumber, and wrapped in automotive carpet (like the stuff on speaker boxes). The side flaps are scribed to fit the full width of the truck bed and are hinged with piano hinges so when I'm camping/sleeping in there I have a spot for my shoes, keys etc. The two small flaps on either side of the drawers are hinged as well, and when I want to take it all out I just fold everything in and pull it out. I move it around my garage easy with a dolly, so if I need the extra space I can have it all out in less than a minute.

Continued in next post..............
                            sigpic

Comment

................Right now it's in the back of the truck bed, and I have my Fiancee making a fold up foam mattress like this one:

I got 4 equally sized rectangles of foam that together make a full size bed, and she's sewing a cover system so they can fold up when not in use. That thing, believe it or not is like $100 or more on the net. That was ridiculous, so it gave my fiancee a reason to break out the Sewing Machine that she's been meaning to learn how to use.

Next weekend (I don't like camping on holiday weekends) will be the first time we use it, and break it in. Can't wait!

I've got some other stuff I've made that I'll post when I get the chance to take some pics.

I've got loads of projects around the house to do too, but technically I'm not a DIYer with that stuff, but I'd be glad to add in my advice if anyone would like it on just about anything related to the building or remodeling of a home. Been doing it for quite a while and have lots of knowledge that's here for free if ya want it.

Good thread LD!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X