App users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App users?

Who out there uses apps? For the iPhone, iPad, android, miscellaneous... any of the above, really...

Most of you know I'm going back to school for computer programming. I'm loving it so far. It was prompted largely by me self-teaching some web languages and enjoying it immensely.

I've gotten better over the past 14 months or so... but still growing.

My wife and I work together under the company she created, and she's looking to really expand her business in the next few months. A redesigned website is already done and up, replacing one we made in one day 6 months ago (though we haven't shown it off yet, because some images need to be downsized, and she may need another change or two). We're going to advertise and everything.

That's all pretty much besides the point though... the growth of the tablet market is something she predicted quite a ways back (she does that annoyingly often... wish we had money to invest more freely). So it's something we talk about quite a bit.

Today she actually started to show interest in developing apps for tablets, etc. I told her I thought I was still a little ways off from this still... but I'd look into it.

It's probably not something we'll get too heavily into, but I'm largely curious. What sorts of apps do you like, or wish you could find? What do you like or dislike about apps that are out there?

Do you have a wish list for Apps?

I wish there was an app that could allow me to edit my itunes library from my ipod(or in this case iPad) and through wireless connection, connect to your PC and say I delete some awful song on my iPod that I have no idea why I downloaded, it will delete it off my computer as well.

I don't know how that would work because it sounds pretty advanced, but that'd be pretty cool. I've always wished I could do that.

Comment

I use quite a few iPhone apps.

The one app that I would LOVE to see come to iPhone would be an iPhone "blackberry messenger" type.

I know BB users love it, and it saves them a lot on texting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
        I wish there was an app that could allow me to edit my itunes library from my ipod(or in this case iPad) and through wireless connection, connect to your PC and say I delete some awful song on my iPod that I have no idea why I downloaded, it will delete it off my computer as well.

I don't know how that would work because it sounds pretty advanced, but that'd be pretty cool. I've always wished I could do that.
        Yeah, that does sound like it would be a bit more than I'm in for... at least at the moment. I'm not really sure though. Like I said... I'm mostly just curious, so I fully expect every option people mention will be over my head at the moment.

Thanks for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post

The one app that I would LOVE to see come to iPhone would be an iPhone "blackberry messenger" type.

There's not one? I find that pretty surprising.

I wonder if that's restricted on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post

Doubletwist. Works well. The basic version is free. The "air sync" version costs a tiny amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post

There are many ways to do this. Why not just chat with the person on the other end? Also, use an email gateway to texting. Google Voice is free texting.

It depends on who is at the other end for whether it's free to them. But you should never have to pay for text if you have an iPhone.

Comment

I would like an app where i could check multiple emails addresses fast. I have tried a couple but they seem slow and the UI isnt great.
                sigpic

Comment

I made an app for iphone that I didn't finish. I was really close to being done but I couldn't get one aspect of it to work so I scrapped it. I still have it if you want it.

Downside to iDevice app creation is you must have an Apple computer. Plus you gotta pay $100 for the developer thing.

Androids is much cheaper and you can do it on any computer.

But whichever you do, I think you'll make money on.

My advice is to make whatever you make free and put ads in it. Users don't mind ads. You can even make a paid version that doesn't have ads for those that hate ads. That was my plan

My app was a game. I had the controls down, I just couldn't get the street to move how i wanted it to. so I scrapped it.

My teacher (exercise science) told us that if we made an app that ranked foods based on whether its a lightweight, featherweight, heavyweight, people would buy it. She said theres no app for that and its very useful for those that are dieting.

To find whether a food is lightweight or w/e, all you have to do is divide the grams by the calories or something to find the ratio. The more grams per calorie, the more of that food you can eat. That way you get more full while eating less calories.

you get the idea...

thats one idea.

or you can make games.. which I doubt you're into (not sure though).

edit: Also regarding the messenger service, There is one on android and I think the same one is on iphones called kakao talk, but i think the blackberry one is better. More native.
                  Last edited by 12and4; 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARGER$ View Post
                    I would like an app where i could check multiple emails addresses fast. I have tried a couple but they seem slow and the UI isnt great.
                    If you're on an Android check out Enhanced Email.

LT, as for making apps check out Dragon Rad. Helps you make cross platform apps using Javascript, HTML, and CSS.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post

LT, as for making apps check out Dragon Rad. Helps you make cross platform apps using Javascript, HTML, and CSS.
                      That woulda been awesome for me when I was attempting it 3 years ago

too bad it doesn't have iphone support

edit: here are some others:

http://www.appcelerator.com/
                      http://www.phonegap.com/
                      http://rhomobile.com/
                      Last edited by 12and4; 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post

Looking at it now. Thanks.

Comment

Ever since March Madness I thought a cool deal would be having an App that all it was was ranking the top 64 'things' (foods, rock bands, movies, etc.) seed them, and everybody with the app would vote. Brackets would last like a week or two and it'd be cool (I think). I actually almost took an internship with Ebay this summer that involved working with their App department, but I turned it down for where I am now (Rockwell Automation).

P.S. I'd like some kickbacks if you make fifty million dollars off my amazing idea
                          Last edited by Hoserman117; 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                            Ever since March Madness I thought a cool app would be having an App that all it was was ranking the top 64 'things' (foods, rock bands, movies, etc.) seed them, and everybody with the app would vote. Brackets would last like 2 days and it'd be cool (I think). I actually almost took an internship with Ebay this summer that involved working with their App department, but I turned it down for where I am now (Rockwell Automation).

P.S. I'd like some kickbacks if you make fifty million dollars off my amazing idea
                            lol.

That would be pretty sweet. The hard part would be to get enough people on from the get go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                              lol.

That would be pretty sweet. The hard part would be to get enough people on from the get go to work.
                              Yeah I know, but that's where my inside guy would get me airtime on ESPN, FOX, ABC etc. and would broadcast the commercials for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X