HTML (Taking a class this summer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTML (Taking a class this summer)

I am taking an HTML class this summer for credit toward my degree, so I thought I would start a thread, where myself, or others could ask questions, or just talk about web site design. And if the new CP rules allow it, i will offer CP's to people who can provide me links to sources they use or know of on the net.
    I really like Cheese.

Ive made basic websites and website designs for teahers at my local school district in Computer Applications III

Its fun good luck

Comment

Unless HTML has changed since I've been in high school... You shouldn't have much issues with it :thumb:
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
        Unless HTML has changed since I've been in high school... You shouldn't have much issues with it :thumb:
        Not really, i began to learn 4.0 some time ago, and never finished, it is still the standard, although 5.0 is close to being the new standard, we will also learn XHTML in the latter part of the class.
        I really like Cheese.

Comment

DUDE.

Yeah... do as much research on HTML5 as you can. It may not be the standard just yet, but it degrades gracefully, all of the major browsers support most of it now... and knowing it gets you a foot up on a lot of people out there.

I was surprised to see the reluctance to move forward with this sort of thing. I figured that as soon as this stuff became more standard, web guys would be all over it... new tech toys! Yet, not so much.

Anyway... I'll answer nearly anything I can for you... and even look up stuff I don't know when I can for ya(there's a lot I don't know).

I'm hoping to crap out 3-4 websites in the next few weeks... so I'm going to be heavy into this.

Here's our website. Recently redesigned. http://www.vgraphicdesign.com I won't lie, I didn't do all the work there.

The very most important site in the world to use is Google. Seriously. Have a question about HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, or even PHP? Google it as such.

'HTML article tag' 'CSS float' 'jQuery fade in'. You will find your answers pretty quickly.

There's some sites that are better than others. The W3C Schools sites are great, but won't explain something you don't understand well enough sometimes. If you just need a refresher on syntax, it's awesome. In the end, I end up going there and one other site or two half the time when I google something.

Anyway... I've received help to get to where I'm at (advanced novice)... and I love paying it forward.

Comment

Correction.

Goal is to get FOUR sites done before the end of the month.

Comment

good luck! and thanks for the advice, i did look over your site, and checked out the view source on it ( i been doing this a lot of sites recently), you could just change this thread title to "The HTML Thread" if you want, don't know know how many are interested in learning how to do HTML, or XHTML, i toyed around with the idea i would learn it "someday", guess someday has arrived.
              I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                good luck! and thanks for the advice, i did look over your site, and checked out the view source on it ( i been doing this a lot of sites recently), you could just change this thread title to "The HTML Thread" if you want, don't know know how many are interested in learning how to do HTML, or XHTML, i toyed around with the idea i would learn it "someday", guess someday has arrived.
                What browser are you using?

Looking at the source is a great habit to get in... I do it a lot.

But if you use Firefox or Chrome (and you should) 'inspect element' on Chrome or Firefox (you'll have to download firebug) will help you dissect how it's being displayed. It will also help you find any errors in something you're trying to put together, if it's not working quite right.

Comment

The tutorials on here are good:

http://htmldog.com/

I like them as they teach you good habits & get you into using CSS quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                    What browser are you using?

Looking at the source is a great habit to get in... I do it a lot.

But if you use Firefox or Chrome (and you should) 'inspect element' on Chrome or Firefox (you'll have to download firebug) will help you dissect how it's being displayed. It will also help you find any errors in something you're trying to put together, if it's not working quite right.
                    Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, i have yet to download Chrome, probably go do that now.
                    I really like Cheese.

Comment

I know next to nothing about HTML, but I'd like to. I'm more of a C and VBScript kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                        DUDE.

Yeah... do as much research on HTML5 as you can. It may not be the standard just yet, but it degrades gracefully, all of the major browsers support most of it now... and knowing it gets you a foot up on a lot of people out there.

I was surprised to see the reluctance to move forward with this sort of thing. I figured that as soon as this stuff became more standard, web guys would be all over it... new tech toys! Yet, not so much.

Anyway... I'll answer nearly anything I can for you... and even look up stuff I don't know when I can for ya(there's a lot I don't know).

I'm hoping to crap out 3-4 websites in the next few weeks... so I'm going to be heavy into this.

Here's our website. Recently redesigned. http://www.vgraphicdesign.com I won't lie, I didn't do all the work there.

The very most important site in the world to use is Google. Seriously. Have a question about HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, or even PHP? Google it as such.

'HTML article tag' 'CSS float' 'jQuery fade in'. You will find your answers pretty quickly.

There's some sites that are better than others. The W3C Schools sites are great, but won't explain something you don't understand well enough sometimes. If you just need a refresher on syntax, it's awesome. In the end, I end up going there and one other site or two half the time when I google something.

Anyway... I've received help to get to where I'm at (advanced novice)... and I love paying it forward.
                        I'm apparently changing my career path, still with the same employer, and will be doing web design and programming. (First day, actually.) And today all I did was the W3C tutorials. They seem pretty straight forward.

HTML, XHTML, and CSS down... Javascript, C#, and others on tap...

Maybe you can be my tutor, LT. Too bad you're not Katy Perry who somehow knows web programming.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

This week we begin learning cascading sheet styles.
                          I really like Cheese.

Comment

Working...
                          X