Pushing The Right Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing The Right Buttons

As so often the case, I have probably mentioned this topic before, but I felt a refresher pertinent, based on events that I have experienced of late. It's about finding those patterns in life that underscore daily mysteries, solving those dilemmas that you could never quite master.... and basically anything that, once determined, allow you to effectively handle similar situations in future. Here's a few examples:
    - after many years of playing golf, one day you hit a drive and it's exactly the way you wanted to hit years and years before......and then you hit a few more and realize that you now "got it down". It's so exciting, and yet it seems so easy.....and yet for years you had trouble putting 2 together in a row.
    - you exercise and diet, but have difficulty with your weight. Then, almost magically, whatever combination of things you are doing.....it works! Suddenly you have discovered the formula. You simply stay the course, and realize you hardly ever will need to weigh yourself again.
    - to the students out there.....you've tried every imaginable way to maximize your effectiveness for studying, in terms of info retention and ability to do well in exams. And then one day you think about things, and realize you now have the process down pat, including when to study, how much and so on. It's a relief.

These are often Eureka moments....sort of like a slap in the face (a very good slap!), because when they happen, it's like a small goldmine in the scheme of life. You've solved that mystery. You no longer have to waste time trying to understand the cause and effect. You can feel confident that from this day forward, you have a definite handle on these type of situations.

I was thinking of this topic the other day, because frequently these things are tied to people behaviour, and often it comes down to trying to figure out how to make others react........like a boss, or a date, or peer at work. Often we try to read others, because we spend so much time with them. And this stuff becomes quite important....imagine the time you spend trying to get your boss on your side, or trying to impress others (think of the dating game).

My friend and I were discussing this, as we had finally understood a person we compete with......the person is really cool, and hippy-like in some ways, but as it turns out, to win them over you have to know that the "right button" is the one that strokes their ego. This was a surprising discovery, coming from someone who played the "cool / open-minded" card so frequently.

I wish I had a formula for finding each formula. It's not that easy. Finding the right buttons to push often take time. But the main thing is, I believe you need to engage your intelligence in each of the mysteries you try to solve. Some will come more quickly than others.....but you probably need to study what works and doesn't work, and do some research....and let your mind do it's job of sorting and weeding out and putting together solutions. Don't underestimate yourself. Similarly, don't give up or put pressure on yourself, because I believe that works against you. Time, practice, a little research, and general awareness can do wonders.

See you later.......I need to go push some buttons.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM.

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
    FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
      So many times,

so many explosions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        - to the students out there.....you've tried every imaginable way to maximize your effectiveness for studying, in terms of info retention and ability to do well in exams. And then one day you think about things, and realize you now have the process down pat, including when to study, how much and so on. It's a relief.
        Oh, I wish I'd found the button that let me do that...

I've got an exam tomorrow and feel like I don't know anything. I have tried to revise. I have failed. Miserably.

I can only imagine how good it must feel to find whatever magic combo is out there that allows people with goldfish memory like me to retain information with ease. I tend to revise one topic, move on to the next, and by the time I've learnt the second topic I feel like I've forgotten the one I just finished.

I'm gonna go have a panic attack now. BRB
        sigpic
        - ★ -
        2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
          Oh, I wish I'd found the button that let me do that...

I've got an exam tomorrow and feel like I don't know anything. I have tried to revise. I have failed. Miserably.

I can only imagine how good it must feel to find whatever magic combo is out there that allows people with goldfish memory like me to retain information with ease. I tend to revise one topic, move on to the next, and by the time I've learnt the second topic I feel like I've forgotten the one I just finished.

I'm gonna go have a panic attack now. BRB
          Hey......I'm sure even those who are the best at it have some deficiencies in their own opinions.

I'd do this. Plot out your plan, whatever it may be at this stage, and just stay with it. Take a few minute time outs as you need them. Think about other things, and make those breaks "your breaks". Think of positive things. From now to the exam...

- DO NOT WASTE ONE SECOND thinking about what you didn't do, or what may throw you off. Just move forward.
          - Do not rush.....do one section at a time, and relax....just concentrate on learning one section at a time, within the time you have.

And each time you go back to study (after your deserved breaks), just think of the progress you just made.

Do not think about what could go wrong....think about what could go right.

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!
          :thumb:

Comment

That's what she said... /thread

I wish there was a magic button to get my son to sleep longer than an hour

He has his days and nights flipped
            sigpic
            The Bronco fan pledge;
            I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
            I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
            I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
            I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
            Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
              That's what she said... /thread

I wish there was a magic button to get my son to sleep longer than an hour

He has his days and nights flipped
              sorry bud.......I think the magic button will be just a "little more time"......he'll find that groove before long.

Comment

I need to find the button that allows me to get a good job & keep it, i'm tired of places i work closing or laying off.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                  I need to find the button that allows me to get a good job & keep it, i'm tired of places i work closing or laying off.
                  sometimes finding that button is just a day away..........:thumb:

Comment

I want the button that makes my family financially stable. :meh:
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out that magical study like a beast button.

With me it seems like when I approach a subject I either instantly know it extremely well and barely have to study, or I just can't wrap my head around some weird part of it and regardless of how hard I study I keep bouncing off a wall that I can't get past.

I've gotten great grades in some of the hardest subjects I've taken because it all just clicks, and other times I barely pull out a C/B even if it's supposedly easy because it's just not clicking for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                        I'm still trying to figure out that magical study like a beast button.

With me it seems like when I approach a subject I either instantly know it extremely well and barely have to study, or I just can't wrap my head around some weird part of it and regardless of how hard I study I keep bouncing off a wall that I can't get past.

I've gotten great grades in some of the hardest subjects I've taken because it all just clicks, and other times I barely pull out a C/B even if it's supposedly easy because it's just not clicking for me.
                        I'm guessing it's about your interest in the topics you describe. If so, it's tricky. Somehow you need to find something interesting about these topics that throw you off, similar to how you excel at those other courses. I just think you need to find something, anything to turn those downers into uppers.

I could be wrong, and even if I'm not, it's not as easy as I may be leading you to believe. But it's a puzzle you can solve to some degree.

Good luck!

Comment

I could of inserted a sexual joke here that references the title of this thread, but I won't in respect to CanDB

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                            I could of inserted a sexual joke here that references the title of this thread, but I won't in respect to CanDB
                            appreciate that.........

I think

Long time no see gl!

Comment

Working...
                            X