How Fast Do You Bounce Back???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast Do You Bounce Back???

I sincerely believe that one's ability to bounce back quickly (or as quick as one could hope) from a bad day, bad situation, rejection, or any type of negative outcome, will help you live a longer and happier life. Basically I see it this way......it's going to be tough no matter how quickly we move on from it, but if we can train ourselves to some degree to look beyond and find something good to focus on, we no only get to enjoy things, but in the long run, we benefit by it.

Sounds easy.

In my case, I do bounce back very quickly in many respects. I do so by always having something to look forward to, even if it's just small stuff......maybe supper, maybe a good show on tv, maybe a good game or two to follow that night, maybe doing something with family or friends. I also mix in bigger things that aren't too far away, like the NHL draft coming up and the new CBA and ALL THE EXCITEMENT THAT WILL FOLLOW, etc.

I admit, I was never too good at rejection, say after a partner split.....but I kind of fixed that one good, by being married only once (that part was lucky!!), and to the same great lady for nearly 30 years!

I have a few deep wounds, like most people do. In terms of career, I had one bad boss that nearly did me in.......even though I had good reviews from several VPs in a row. But this one person was on a mission before she took the job. Instead of being up front when she took the job, and helping me move to another department, she tried the other approach (that some terrible folks take) whereby they work against you for a year or two and try to ruin your credibility. I played the game, found myself a similar job on my own (thanks to a former VP), and carried on, even though I loved the job I left...it was my favourite one in a 33 year career. To this day, years later, I still have some "distaste" for that person, but on the other hand, I know I am a better person than she will ever be.

Losing my Dad was tough, but losing my Mother has taken more of a toll, mostly because of how she left. They both lived long lives, but my Mother's last months were harder for me than I expected. Lets just say, I am so happy she has rejoined my Father, and all those last 7 years or so of poor quality life are just a faded memory.

Overall......I have been very fortunate. I bounce back very quickly, other than for a few few things. I try to follow what I preach to others......stay positive, help others, be honest and kind and loving. And try to make every difficult situation something to grow from, as you look with bright eyes to another day.

Good luck and good life to you....

I bounce back from bad things rather quickly. I live by the motto of: "This too shall pass". It helps!
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Yeah, Cory...

that is good.

I keep that in mind for ALL things.

Even the good times..

you look forward to a concert or something..
      and then bam..
      it is come and gone.

even the good times pass quickly..
      so remembering that in bad times helps.

Whatever happens...
      in the end... you do what it takes to get over it.
      You figure it out...
      you do what needs done..
      and you get over it.

You can do it in 6 years..
      6 months..
      6 days ..
      or 6 minutes.

The choice is yours.
      My advice?

GET OVER IT.

Sooner, rather than later.
      - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Easier said than done. Usually gotta get a day or so of wallowing in self pity out of the way first. But after that I get inspired to quit being a dumbass, so I get over it, or at least put on a nice acting job.

Comment

It's usually about an hour or so of pure anger, then about an hour of just overall feeling bummed, and then I generally figure out what it is I need to do differently so that feeling doesn't happen again. I still feel bummed out for a long time, but I'm still able to effectively work to avoid the issue in the future.

This generally comes about from doing poorly on exams or something of that nature. My girlfriend is the opposite, it'll kill her for days, sometimes a week when she gets bad results/news.

Comment

I don't think its a matter of bouncing really.

Just cause one bad thing happens and you get up and walk on doesn't mean another won't happen in the next step and put you back even further. And then another and another............

Too me it is a matter of do you just keep trying no matter what.

As long as I keep trying then I keep living and hopefully eventually things will fall into place.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              I don't think its a matter of bouncing really.

Just cause one bad thing happens and you get up and walk on doesn't mean another won't happen in the next step and put you back even further. And then another and another............

Too me it is a matter of do you just keep trying no matter what.

As long as I keep trying then I keep living and hopefully eventually things will fall into place.
              I dunno, I think your general attitude and outlook on life greatly effects the things that happen to you and how badly you perceive a bad thing to be. If something bad happens to you puts you in a negative mood and you never snap out of it, even if you keep working hard and busting your ass, that will surely lead to more negative things happening to you than if you were in a far more positive state of mind.

Comment

My biggest experience was having my wife cheat on me with one of my good friends.

I took about a week to gather my thoughts, sort through my feelings, and decide what I wanted to do. I got laid off a short time later while in the middle of a divorce.

I decided I wasn't going to feel bad for myself, but to embrace the new opportunities in front of me. Now I have a wonderful, beautiful wife, an amazing son, and a job I really love.

I don't look to the past, what's done is done. You can't change the past. You can make the best of any situation. We are in charge of our happiness, no one else is.

So I think I bounce back fairly well, even if it takes a lot of effort.

Comment

I bounce back pretty quickly because I was raised around two sayings:

When things didn't happen that I wanted I was always told "if it was meant to be, it would have happened"

and when I was dissapointed:

"Tomorrow is another day"

makes everything seem pretty minor when you look at it all that way.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it is a matter of perspective and attitude.

We can not control those around us, the inevitable, and so many other situations...
                    but we DO have control of our attitude and how we perceive things.

Having had a near death experience and the "life passing before your eyes" moment..
                    I can see now, that so much of what I worried about and stressed over in the past..
                    is really very inconsequential in the vast scheme of things.
                    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

thanks for sharing gang.....I like the open discussion so far.
                      :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                      X